My wife and I wanted to reward my daughter for 12 years of hard study by taking her on a high school graduation trip. After realizing that staying in downtown London was going to cost me over $300 a night, I found this hotel at a much better price. Here's the breakdown:
- Good sized rooms with comfortable beds
- Reliable Air Conditioning, a real bonus for Europe in the summer
- Excellent staff - with exceptions. I lost my sunglasses on a local bus and they were very helpful in helping me get my glasses back from the bus company.
- Good morning breakfast buffet every morning. England is not particularly known for its dining experiences breakfast every morning here was very good with a wide selection to choose from.
- Good transportation choices to and from Heathrow and London.
- Doesn't really compare well to Marriott's in the states. The multiple fire doors that you have to go through while dragging your bag down just one hallway are a pain. Also, this hotel not as well appointed and finished off as you would expect from a Marriott in the U.S.
- I'm a Marriott rewards gold member and we requested a room on a high floor. We got the first floor that was near some smoking areas or rooms. Every night we smelled cigarette smoke before bed. We asked to move to another room twice and were turned down each time.
- Very crowded on the weekends. There was a large contingent of Pakistani people there during the weekend we were there. Apparently they don't believe in standing in a food line for the breakfast buffet and have no problem pushing you aside to get what they want. It's a cultural thing, but it's something that took us off guard.
- Don't ask the front desk staff for directions on how to get to London, get your directions from the Concierge. We made that mistake and spent two hours on the Underground getting to London. The concierge can tell you everything you need to know about how to get around and where to eat.
- How to get to London: There are three ways to get two London and we tried them all.
1. Take a Hotel Hoppa bus to Heathrow airport terminal 5 and get on the Underground system to London. We tried this once and it was a mistake. It cost 4 GBP one way on the Hoppa bus and then 6 GBP for a day travelcard on the Underground. Problem is, the underground, or "Tube" stops every 13 seconds on it's way to London. It gets very crowded and hot. Plus, you can't see anything for most of the journey.
2. Take the number 81 bus to the Slough city bus terminal. From there walk to the train station and take the train into London. Don't recommend this way either as you end up walking and waiting a lot. And again, the trains are very crowded and unless you get an express train, they make several stop on the way to London.
3. Take an express bus to London. This is by far the best way we found. Take bus number 701 or 702 to London. The bust stop is just on the main road in front of the Marriott hotel - very nice. From that stop the bus goes straight to London. It stops 3 times in various suburbs of London before ending at Victoria station in London. The bus is usually a double decker bus, and many have wi-fi on board. This is a really nice way to go as you get to see the countryside, suburbs and finally the city of London. The fares change during the day depending on what time you go. Check out: www.rainbowfares.com to see schedules and fares.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Just five minutes from the airport, The Heathrow/Windsor Marriott Hotel offers a stylish destination for both business and leisure travelers. With a prime location in Slough, we offer ideal access to LEGOLAND(R), Windsor Castle and Twickenham Stadium. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Travelocity, Cancelon, Priceline, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Heathrow/Windsor Marriott Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marriott Heathrow Windsor
- Marriott Hotel Slough
- Marriott Slough
- Slough Marriott