“Good hotel close to Windsor & Heathrow”

Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Slough
Reviewed February 20, 2009

The hotel was really easy to find and very close the M4. Easy to park and this was free if staying at the hotel.

The staff were very helpful and the rooms large, well kept, clean and tidy. Perfectly respectable place to stay and couldn't really fault it. Good value for £46 a night for a double room.

Ideal for a trip to the Windsor area or for Heathrow Airport as we were.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,718)

Reviewed February 13, 2009

In this modern age, this 4 Star property has big problems with Bed Bugs. Stay well clear if I was you.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank WhiteHorse50
Copthorne_Manager, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2009

Further to this recent entry we would like to respond that this was an isolated incident, which, when advised to the hotel was dealt with in accordance with our company procedures, no further incidents have been reported to the hotel and our rooms are checked on a daily basis.

Reviewed January 28, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for one night in january. We had gone there for a special event the hotel was running " A Fawlty Towers Comedy Weekend." On arriving at the hotel we parked our car in the car park and was a bit surprised to see that we would have to pay £6 to park. However when we checked out we were told it was complimentry and given a special card to put in the ticket machine. On arriving we were met by a friendly receptionist who checked us in very quickly. Our room was on the 2nd floor. The room was very large and had everything you would need ie, iron and ironing board, hairdryer, tea and coffee making facilities, tv, toiletries. The only thing missing was a safe which I was abit disappointed by. You even had a sofa in the room as well. The bed was a good size and very comfortable. The hotel is right next to a busy main road but you could not hear any noise and the curtains on the window hid the view. The hotel also had an indoor swimming pool and spa, but I can not comment on this as we didn't get time to use it. We had a 3 course meal and were entertained during the evening by the proffesional actors doing their comedy routine. It was a fantastic evening and we haven't laughed so much for ages. When the entertainment finished we went to the hotel bar for the rest of the evening. The service was very good and the prices were not bad as far as hotel bars are concerned. The next morning we went to breakfast. We were met by a pleasant young waiter who seated us at our table. He brought us either tea or coffee then you helped yourself to whatever you wanted to eat. Well what can I say, what a choice. Full english breakfast, toast ect, pastries, fruit, cooked meats, cereals and fruit juices. The quality was excellent. We will definatly be checking on what other events this hotel holds and will be returning in the near future.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed January 15, 2009

I stayed at the Copthorne Hotel with a colleague on business for 4 nights. Upon arrival I found the room very, very basic, the heating did not work and the shower tap was very difficult to know where hot and cold should be let alone how to turn it off. The heating was fixed by putting a radiator in the room after I informed them of the faults. They thought the tap was acceptable.

The first evening we had a couple of drinks in the bar and then went to the hotels Retrouve restaurant for an evening meal. The menu choices where limited to 5 main meals and about the same number of starters. We chose the salmon on herb potato with vegetable lingini which sounded very good and asked the waiter if he would recommend anything with it, he did not seem to understand and after a couple of attempts we thought we would take our chances. When the meals arrived after over an hour we were surprised to find the meal consisted of a very dry cooked Salmon on potato with herbs in it and not a sign of a vegetable in sight. We tried to ask the staff in the restaurant if this was right and where the vegetables were, they were not interested and said that is the way it comes (We did not agree) but we left it at that.

The following evening we ate at a local Pizza Express which was very good and the staff where brilliant.

The next night we relented and thought we would give the Hotel restaurant one more chance. We went about checking the menu for the best options, at the top of the menu there was a printed option saying how good the cod with turmeric was so we thought we would order it, on trying to order the food the waiter pointed out that this is no longer an option and this should not be printed on the menu. After a few minutes of we ordered a starter of soup and I had the steak (which again I asked if I need anything with it) and again the waiter who was a different one did not seem to understand. On receiving the food the soup was OK but that is all I would say but the steak meal was not. The steak was served on a couple of mushrooms that were over cooked and very finely chopped onion that had been breaded and fried. it was terrible and not a meal that I would recommend to anyone.

With this in mind we will not be eating again at this restaurant and will advise our company not to use this Hotel again.

I must be honest I have stayed in this hotel a couple of years ago and the service and food was excellent, something has obviously changed and the management don't seem to be fixing it.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank DonMasters
Reviewed November 3, 2008

Has proper service totally disappeared in Britain?

The room was decent but not great. As for the rest of my stay in this hotel with my girlfriend, it was terrible!
The Restaurant "retrouve" should be called "perdu". The waiters, when they are lucky enough to understand an order formulated in plain english, are slow an disorganised. When will restaurants understand that it takes more than 2 legs and 2 arms to serve food properly! They should really hire some trained staff.
Besides the usual mistakes, where the waiter ask what wine has been chosen, even before the meal has been ordered (how can I pick the wine, if I don't know what I will eat?), or the waiter serving the wine to the top of the glass, like mere coca-cola, the food in itself is atrocious. We paid 15 pounds for a badly cooked piece of meat and a tomato sitting on a mushroom! I've had better food in my local kebab shop!
The leisure center is decent, but very small, and wit the proximity of legoland, get ready to have badly raised kids screaming and running all over the place.
If you are after a quite and relaxing week-end, run away from this hotel!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ElRosbif
Copthorne_Manager, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2008

We are disappointed to hear that you did not have a good experience in our Retrouve Restaurant at the Copthorne Slough Windsor. We have a continuous training programme within our restaurant and all departments to ensure the guest experience is enjoyable. There is supervision at all times but we understand that at key times there will be occasions that staff are left to work unsupervised. We endeavor to ensure that our staff are able to assist guests appropriately at all times, but have taken your comments on board and will monitor this closely. The hotel is very popular with families visiting Legoland and at times there are a substantial number of ‘excited’ children, but we do work hard to contain them and apologise that you were affected by this during your stay. We understand your frustration, but do hope that you will come back in the future to enjoy a more pleasurable experience that we know we can offer.

Reviewed October 31, 2008

Hotel was quite nice defiantely not a 4 star. The pool is freezing more like an outside pool. The jacuzzi/spa pool not hot like it should be just luke warm. The jets hardly worked it didnt do the job of a jacuzzi anyway. They drained the spa as they realised something was wrong with it which left us not being able to use it. The hotel is advertised on last minute as complimentary parking yet we paid £6.00 to use it which I thought was disgusting considering what we paid. I am a great believer of you get what you pay for which is why I am very surprised of not getting much but paying £126.00 for 1 night, without breakfast. So I am very disapointed with the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

We are sorry to hear that you had issues during your stay at the Copthorne Slough Windsor. Regarding the temperature of the pool, all maintenance issues are dealt with in a timely manner but we do not appear to have a record of a temperature problem on that day in question. All checks are carried out on a regular basis during the day to ensure that health and safety is being adhered to, but we will continue to monitor the temperature of the pool closely. Regarding the Jacuzzi, again maintenance was arranged on this day to deal with the issue, I am sorry that these facilities were not functioning properly during your stay. On Lastminute.com, where it lists ‘Hotel Facilities’ there is an asterisk next to the Parking which indicates there may incur an additional charge. If you booked a Club Room on the executive package, you will receive free car parking. We try to keep our rates as competitive as possible as research tells us that guests simply want room prices only. This therefore means there will be additional services such as car parking and breakfast. On our own website you can include breakfast at a discounted price or pre order vouchers via reception for £10 at time of check in. We do hope that you will visit us again and see that these issues have been resolved so you can enjoy a more pleasant stay in the future.

Reviewed October 31, 2008

Booked a family room through legoland for a 2 night break. Hotel was clean and reception staff friendly. As it was my husbands 40th I asked for an upgrade from the family room we had booked, I had emailed this request but didn't get a reply? We were told for £40 per night we could book a larger room (junior suite)? when the room was eventually ready I was so dissapointed just a small bedroom with a single wardrobe and a living are with a sofa that was to be our 3rd and 4th bed!
I telephoned reception to say I wasn't happy and was offered a double with twin adjoining at £110.00 extra per night-We paid this but I feel we were really ripped off-after a long journey with two children I just wanted to settle into a decent room!!
Pool was absolutely freezing-we lasted 10 mins if that! and the food was average but £13.00 for a burger and £10.00 for a club sandwich? Bar was disorganised and the food we got wasn't what we ordered but they got there in the end although several attempts later. The hotel is handy for legoland but other than that nothing great to offer!!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Thank you for writing your review on our hotel and we are pleased you found the hotel clean and the reception staff friendly. We are sorry you found the family room disappointing in size, all our family rooms are of the same layout in the hotel and we find that most families are satisfied with the room configuration. Regarding the swimming pool, we monitor the temperature & levels of the swimming pool on a daily basis to comply with health and safety regulations.

We do have trained staff supervising the bar, but appreciate that at busy times the staff come under increasing pressure which may result in the guest experience being marred, continual training is in place to develop our team at the hotel to ensure complete satisfaction at all times. Customer service is paramount to us and we strive to ensure that our guests are satisfied on each and every occasion. We do hope that you will visit us again in the future and have a more enjoyable experience.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Slough
Holiday Inn Slough - Windsor
De Vere Beaumont Estate
De Vere Beaumont Estate
#2 of 2 in Old Windsor
Premier Inn Slough Hotel

Been to Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor? Share your experiences!