“A weekend bargain”

Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Slough
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed at the Millenium Copthorne Slough when attending a funeral in West London.The hotel is large , a little tired and well away from any point of interest in the area.The staff were helpful and friendly.The real bonus was the price. We stayed on a special "love weekends" rate at under £60 for a club room and breakfast We could have had a smaller ( but perfectly nice room ) for just over £40 for the night. These rates are about £80 cheaper than the usual rates. We ate in the Singaporean themed restaurant , again at an early evening bargain price of £9 for a simple but very pleasant 3 course dinner. The breakfast was a bit disappointing since the chafing dish presentation necessary to keep staffing costs down meant everything was luke warm The continental breakfast on the other hand looked very good and would be recommended..Would we stay again - yes if the price bargains continues at weekends - no if we were paying full price and we weer paying our own bills.

Room Tip: Upgrade to club room at weekends for about £10.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Maggie_Copthorne, P A to General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sparing the time to place this review. We were pleased that your stay was a positive experience despite the reason for it.
We are in the middle of an ongoing refurbishment programme with the top 2 floors completed and the lower floor underway.
Glad that you found us to be good value for money - we are keen to offer great deals as we are very aware of its importance to everyone.
I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back.
Kindest regards and best wishes from the General Manager, Management team and Staff at the Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor.

There are newer reviews for Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We have just returned from an overnight stay with our 2 daughters (aged 4 and 7). We had a great rate for the Sunday night so splashed out and booked adjoining rooms. This involved a call to the hotel, advice on booking, on-line booking to get the best deal and another call to the hotel to guarantee the joining rooms. The day before we arrived I gave in and called the hotel to add the Ask Alfred children's concierge package (nearly £11 each child) as an extra. We hadn't told our daughters we were staying so I wanted it to be a real treat. I was told by the lady on the phone that she would make a note on our account that we wanted it. Anyway, we travelled the hour and a half to Windsor and spent a couple of hours in the leisure centre (flumes, slides and wave machine - highly recommended for families) and then surprised the girls by driving to the hotel. At check-in the trainee confirmed I had added the Ask Alfred package but didn't say anything else. Part of the package was an ice-cream on arrival but I thought maybe it would be delivered to the room. We went to our rooms which were just what we needed - two good size rooms, one double, one twin with good facilities although they are a little dated. I was surprised that the back pack and teddy wasn't on their beds. I was also disappointed to have to call down and request that the interlocking doors were unlocked (rather spoilt the surprise of appearing in their room!) I chose not to complain about the package at that point as I still thought they might appear with something and also didn't think it would be much of a treat if mummy had to call and complain to get it. Needless to say nothing arrived. We spent the early evening in Windsor, eating in Zizzi (again, great for our family) and looking at the castle before driving back to the hotel. No sign of back packs or teddy bears so I gave up! As the girls were up early we spent an hour in the pool (all but 15 minutes of that with it to ourselves) before having breakfast. All good!
On checking out I queried the package and was told I hadn't booked it. As the trainee who had booked us in was there I confirmed that she had told me I had booked it for 2 children when we booked in. The man (Sahid?) on the desk shrugged and gave me an incredibly hollow apology. I also told him how disappointed I had been that the joining doors had been locked. To be honest from that point I felt like an inconvenience to the hotel staff. Apparently there have been too many occasions where they have unlocked the doors only for the guests to change rooms and then they have to go and lock them again. I raised the possibility of them sending someone to open them as soon as we arrived and he re-iterated that their policy was now to only open them when requested. Pointless having spent time letting them know we had small children. He then offered to go and look in the basement to see if he had the components of the Ask Alfred service. I said as a gesture of goodwill I was happy to accept one part of it for the children (who by now were waiting in the car with my husband). He looked at me very strangely and said "No, but if you want to buy it now to take away I could see if I could find the bits" I was flabbergasted. In my mind part of booking it was that the hotel would go out of their way to make my children feel special. Sadly, after a pleasant, convenient stay all they succeeded in doing was making their mother feel like she had been an inconvenience.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Whilst I was pleased to hear that there were many elements of your stay that were positive I sincerely apologise that the ask alfred package was not added to your guest profile and then followed through at check in.
We have invested a great deal with international apprentices but do appreciate that there are often differences in both culture and confidence which we will address through added coaching as she is well worth our extra effort, we are sorry that this impacted on your stay.
I have sent two teddies who are looking for a good and loving home to your daughters as an added token of our apology and hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back when I would be pleased to look after all your requirements for you if you would contact me direct.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Booked this hotel as laterooms advertised a "£276 " room for under £50 expecting it to be something very special but in fact it was quite ordinary. It was a spacious room in good decorative order with smart furniture but not significantly better than a Premier Inn room. The view was of dozens of containers and scrap vehicles in a lorry park ! So overall good value for money at under £50 but totally misleading to suggest that anyone in their right mind would pay over £200 a night. Late rooms not bothered to hear feedback or change their misleading marketing

Room Tip: If you want a reasonable outlook ask for a room that doesnt overlook the scrapyard/container yard

Dear Guest,
Thank you your review, however, we are governed by UK laws which state that we have to publicise our highest rates.
The rate usually relates to high demand periods such as Ascot, olympics, sporting events and most recently, royal occasions.
We naturally apologise that this has caused you concern, however, we cannot comment on Laterooms procedures.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

What a fantastic stay that we had with you this weekend, and thank you for helping to arrange what was an amazing 24 hours.

Some careful planning to drop the cat off at the in-laws once Our daughter was taken out by mum to the local shops and manic packing when she was not looking made for some good fun for us adults.

We told our daughter that we had planned to take her to the Copthorne a few weeks back, but didn’t tell her when.
A short trip to slough was the only excuse we needed to get within earshot of the Copthorne, and then a slight detour towards the M4 took us to you.
We came from Cippenham lane end, but as there were cars coming from ahead, I decided to drive around the roundabout and then into your carpark.
“Is this the Copthorne”, said our daughter with a smile like a Cheshire cat. We turned the car radio down and replied “yes”. The scream of excitement that followed would have made anyone laugh and smile.

We booked in at reception with no issues whatsoever, and although was offered the Ask Alfred ice cream by your very kind reception team for our daughter, we decided to leave it for nearer dinner time as were going to use the pool.
Up in the lift, to the top floor and our daughter was smiling all the way. Into the room, and wow, she loved it. Her bed was all made up and the Alfred bits on the bed waiting for her. The bear was named Alfred haha.
What was very funny was the fact that although it was a weekend for the 3 of us, our daughter quickly discovered she could shut the internal doors to make her own room. She called her Grandma to tell her what the room was like talking about the views etc and well pretty much describing every square inch of the room , and said “oh Grandma, guess what, I even have my own en-suite”. 

We then went to the gym and pool and were greeted by a friendly team, oh and the sauna too although at just over 100 degrees, didn’t stay too long in there although it was really good. Used some muscles we never knew we had until they ached, but it was nice to go swimming as a family. I used the weight gym. I wanted to join, but unfortunately the price outlay is a little outside of my price range but I loved it all the same. Then back to the room and to show our daughter the club lounge who played pac-man for a bit on the pc whilst we read the papers and had a coffee.
When we got back to the room, we were greeted by a huge bowl of fruit and a card from the hotel, which was lovely. Thank you for that.

Dinner was delicious. Room service was a must. Sausage and mash for me, Burger for my partner and our daughter had your HUGE Haddock and chips followed by the Alfred Ice Cream. Dinner took 21 minutes to arrive….. which was fantastic.
Our daughter joined another family whilst we stayed for a video night in one of your conference suites and she called us when she was ready to come back to the room from reception, and she has left you a hand written note to the same, as did we on your customer survey. Thank you to reception for being so child friendly. Each time we walked through reception, the reception team were always so happy looking

Room service Breakfast was fantastic and Our daughter loved ordering what she wanted the night before. It arrived 1 minute into our chosen slot and was HUGE.

Checkout was all swift and professional.
We are now looking forward to our next special occasion that we can stay with you for.
Thank you for all your help and assistance in booking the room. A truly fantastic 24 hours that made our weekend.
I am sure she will enjoy telling her friends at school what she did at the weekend and loves the Ask Alfred bear.

Room Tip: If you can afford the extra - ask for a room on 6th floor. You will not be dissapointed and the view...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Matt L
Maggie_Copthorne, P A to General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your kind review and wonderful comments. We were all so pleased to hear that your stay was such a great experience and that your daughter had a good and proper introduction to hotel life, which I hope will stay with her to look back on.
It is always a pleasure for us to hear that our guests have both enjoyed and appreciated our efforts which is all the thanks we need, that said, we are always grateful to see it in print.......
We will all look forward to your next visit, I have your daughters little note on my desk and was particularly pleased to hear that she has given such a good home to her new Teddy, Alfred, so much so that she has signed her little note, not just with her name, but with the explanation 'AKA - girl with Teddy Bear' just in case we should get her confused with someone else - no chance !!.
Thank you again & see you soon.
Kindest regards & best wishes from the General Manager, Management Team & Staff at the Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

This was our second stay, via the TravelZoo offer. As before we were very pleased with all aspects of this hotel. The minor problem before, of which Travelzoo menu deal applied, has now been sorted. The cuisine in the Retrouve restaurant is truly first class; a higher standard than you would expect from a hotel close to the M4 and Heathrow. The staff are mainly Indian, and once again they were smart, polite and extremely helpful and attentive. The cuisine does have an 'Indian' element to it, but there were plenty of English choices too. There is a fine breakfast available, and the food was kept refreshed; better than many of the other well known chains.
We will book again before the offer ends.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sparing the time to write this review which made pleasurable reading for us all.
So pleased to hear that your stay was a good one and that we, yet again, fulfilled all your expectations.
Delighted to hear that you will come & stay with us again, we will look forward to it.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

I came here with my partner for our anniversary staying 2nd Feb to 3rd Feb. We were going to stay at the Marriott but looking through the reviews it seemed a good hotel, with good leisure facilities and good value for money - HOW WRONG WE WERE!!!

Check-in

I myself worked in hospitality as a reception manager so I must admit I do have high expectations. We were checked in by a miserable young asian lady who was wearing black lipstick (a very unprofessional look in my opinion). We had to ask to be checked in, which I was astounded at!!! She then had no clue what are package was (we had booked a club room, you would think for the room type you would of at least had the reception staff be over friendly as we were in my time). She then refused to believe that we had ordered two breakfasts via the online option, where it allows you to order breakfasts for £9 as opposed to £15. She then walked off without saying where she was going before she had even asked if I had confirmation of this. When she came back huffing and puffing I showed her my email via my IPhone, which without asking she walked off with into the back office!!!! How dare she was both mine and my partners thoughts, when I said next time you wish to take my phone out of my eyesight I wish for you to ask she laughed!!! Then she said I couldn't have booked two breakfasts online it doesn't exist -- I think it does if I booked directly via your hotel and have email proof! Then another elderly reception just as miserable just added it on for her. All of this with no apology, I myself would love to train them and show them how a check-in should happen! After the fiasco of the breakfast she shouted our room number over the desk! And put our keys on the desk. No explanation on where anything was. I asked where the lift was she huffed and puffed again and said oh do you want me to tell you where everything is then. How rude! Each time we walked past reception to go to the bar or leisure club the elder reception was there hunched on the desk making no eye contact, I said hello once and she ignored me - Sorry I forgot I am the paying customer!!

The room:

I was pleasantly surprised with the size of the room and I must say well done to the housekeeping team as the room was spotless and had everything we needed for our short stay. I do however think the bathroom does need an upgrade (a little dated and pokey).

The Club Longue:

AWFUL -- DO NOT EVEN BOTHER UPGRADING TO A CLUB ROOM FOR THIS!!! The room was never stocked, at the specified times for wine and nibbles there was no staff present, no wine, no soft drinks and no canopes and this was at 6.30pm - no excuse. The staff on the telephone didn't seem to care less when we and two other parties called. In the morning it got worse, we wanted to have a coffee whilst waiting for our taxi. Again the longue was unstocked dirty cups from breakfast there, food on the floor and no soft drinks whatsoever. I had to call FIVE times before someone bothered to answer. I explained the coffee machine had run out of milk (as it said on the machine), the room was filthy and there were no soft drinks. The response I will send someone up I asked how long I then received look miss we are very busy on reception and then they hung up!!!!!!!!!!! 25 minutes later a porter who spoke no English came in, he was on his phone the whole time to his wife talking about when he would be home. He stocked the fridge up with water and then he disappeared. I then this being 35 minutes later after my first contact called the operator again and I got someone has already been we are very busy I will be up when I can and she hung up!!! The man and a very loud lady came with him neither of them knew the problem even though it clearly said MILK EMPTY. My partner becoming increasingly frustrated explain this to them and they both walked off. We were in there an hour in the end and our taxi arrived. You know the joke how many blondes does it take to change a lightbulb how about how many porters does it take to put some milk in a coffee machine?

Leisure Facilities

The staff were extremely friendly two young boys on there both very accommodating explaining where everything was and if we needed anything they are there which was lovely and these two men could teach the rest of your staff and thing or two! Swimming pool was great you were able to swim and perfect temperature. BUT the jacuzzi had no bubbles and to us was just a warm tub; several other guests we got talking to also agreed!

Bar:

We had a lovely lunch in the bar early evening. Prosecco was on the menu but the chinese gentleman didn't know what Prosecco was?! So I had to change my order to white wine for this reason which was disappointing.

Breakfast

DO NOT TOUCH -- i was severely ill for two day after this. We as it was a Sunday decided to order room service breakfast. Firstly I got called and 730am on a Sunday morning asking for the time we wished as my partner had forgotten to tick the box. I was spitting feathers calling a guests at 730 on a Sunday ARE YOU MAD? Then when the breakfast arrived, sausage was bone cold, bacon was burnt, eggs were hard, beans were cold, toast was burnt, tomatoes were cold and they got our drinks order wrong. We had a bite of the sausage and bacon and left the rest. Sunday evening I was violently being ill after not eating for the rest of the day from the sausage I had eaten and when I consulted my GP he advised it was food poisoning. EAT BREAKFAST ELSEWHERE!

If the general manager does read this email I think you need to seriously look at the staff representing your hotel, as this would have never of been accepted in my days in hospitality.

Room Tip: We stayed on the sixth floor and was very peaceful.
4  Thank 373Kimberley
David F, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for sparing the time in reviewing our hotel on this public forum. I am extremely concerned by your comments and shocked that there was no mention of any of these issues in the Duty Managers logs.

We take allegations such as yours extremely seriously and engage the services of an independent company to investigate such claims. We pride ourselves on our H&S and have an excellent Head Chef. Clearly your experience of Room Service Breakfast was extremely poor. Please be assured that I will address your comments with my Food and Beverage Manager to ensure that action is taken to address immediately.

In recent months we have employed a Training Manager to develop the team her. We are committed to improving our standards and listening to our guests a fact that I believe is born out from responses to the reviews on this site which is why I am double disappointed that your observations were so poor.

I am sorry that you were left with this impression of us and know that if these shortfalls had been pointed out, we would have had an opportunity to redeem ourselves and your lasting memories of us would have been positive.

If you would like to discuss this matter further or a way forward please contact me.

Regards

David Faull

Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel due to a party. On arriving was checked in very quickly and efficiently. Had to ask for a pillow change however on room arrival as it had blood on it :( not good but it was changed very quickly.. Bathrooms are dated could do with a little modernisation.. As we were only staying one night this was ok. Room had tea and coffee facilities, trouser press, iron and mini bar. There was no safe. Beds were fine and comfy. Pool and gym were good kids enjoyed the pool. Food was good and bar service really good.. Friendly staff.. Would use again. Car park facilities are good plenty of space.

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your kind comments. Delighted to hear that your stay was the success it deserved to be and that all your family enjoyed it.
Apologies for the problem with the pillow case, pleased however that it was changed for you immediately.
We will look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Slough
Holiday Inn Slough - Windsor
Travelodge Slough
Travelodge Slough
#5 of 21 in Slough
Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa

Been to Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor? Share your experiences!