“Good hotel, poor organisation”

Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Slough
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Booked a two night break for the new year, Sunday night and New Years Eve. Most enjoyable break with a very good New Years Eve party night, drinks reasonably price for a hotel. Breakfast a bit of a let down on the first morning, food was luke warm, not a very good choice, run out of hot water for teas and coffees and had a long wait for replenishment, single toaster was a waste of time as it only turned out burnt toast or not toasted, why a 4 star hotel can`t invest in something more modern. Second morning was even worse as there were bus parties in for the New Years Eve so there were long queues for breakfast and again hot water run out as well as bread and some of the other food, again a wait to have any fresh. We upgraded to superior room that should have included entrance to the club room as stated on confirmation but when tried access it was denied, inquired at reception and was told it was not included, luckily we had a copy of the confirmation to show them and they then allowed access.Reception staff didn`t seem to know what was happening and gave us wrong information on almost anything we asked them, as they told us we had an evening 3 course meal on the first night but this was incorrect, asked about the New Years Eve party was told drinks were at 7-00 pm and dinner served at 8-00 pm, arrived at venue only to be told drinks were at 7-45 and dinner was later, we retired to bar area and then discovered that the drinks would be served at 7-00. Apart from this we had a really enjoyable evening and the disco was very good as well as the meal. Rooms really good and spacious. Would stay again as position is good for overnight stay if flying from Heathrow.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Maggie_Copthorne, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Thank you for sparing the time to place your review of our hotel on to this site.
I am sorry that our team seemed to be confused by your entitlement and have addressed this with the Front Office Manager to ensure that all promotions are familiar to the teams, especially during such a busy period.
I am gald that you enjoyed the evening of disco as well as finding our bar prices reasonable. It was also pleasing to see that your meal was good as well as our rooms.
I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future, my PA would be pleased to oversee any future stay for you in order to ensure that your complete stay is a success.
With kindest regards
David Faull

Write a ReviewReviews (1,707)

Reviewed January 2, 2013

stayed in this hotel new year 2012, hotel very clean, rooms spotless. Evening meal very poor, one set menu, no choice, breakfast ok. New years eve meal TERRIBLE, our chickens were raw, and had ice in middle, quite alot of meals went back because it was raw, many tables were left without any main course.Many unhappy people, trying to enjoy New Years eve party. Awfull atmosphere between guests and staff because of this problem.
Were told ovens had broken, staff should have got together and make a cold buffet for guests that had no food, we went to bed very hungry and upset that no other food was being served only a bottle of wine was offered to say sorry.
Terrible experience, and would never go again.

1  Thank martin971
David F, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for sparing the time and trouble in placing this review on this site. I am sorry that your experience on New Years Eve was such a poor one and would be happy to discuss this matter further please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

I sincerely hope that we can redeem ourselves in some way.

Kindest regards

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Enjoyed a one night travel zoo stay with my husband and two daughters. Very nice rooms and helpful lady on reception.
Enjoyed the pool facilities. There was some uncertainty about the included meal as the restaurant was closed but was all sorted out.
Breakfast was fine apart from a problem with the hot water for tea which caused queues and confusion.
I would gladly return here and recomment this hotel. My only one isuue is the quality of the towels in the rooms and leisure club. They were not at all fluffy or thick. Very nice hotel clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Maggie_Copthorne, P A to General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Dear Guest,
We were all so pleased that your stay was a good one. We have welcomed many Travelzoo guests, it has been a very successful promotion.
Sorry to hear there were a couple of glitches but delighted that they did not mar the rest of your stay.
Hope to see you again in the not too distant future.
Kind regards from the General Manager, Management Team & Staff at the Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

My partner and I have just returned from a one night stay at this hotel. We chose it primarily for its location as we were visiting Windsor Castle and it is only a 10 minute drive away. The room was very pleasant and well thought out and the bed very comfortable. We had an evening meal as part of our travelzoo deal but the staff were very unsure of what we could eat, the main restaurant was closed and so we ended up eating in the hotels Malaysian/Chinese restaurant and the food was not very authentic and not good at all!

Room Tip: We had a superior room included in our deal and it was vey comfortable and spacious with both a bath...
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We stayed at Copthorne Slough for one night and while I was very grateful to be able to check in early, the experience deteriorated the longer we stayed at the hotel for. The radio on the tv in our room did not work and while someone tried to fix the problem twice it wasn't ever resolved. Our room was absolutely boiling from arrival to departure and we couldn't get the fan to work. Finally, we were woken up randomly at 8am with a knock at the door and then again at 9.30am by a phone call. To top it off a random alarm that sounded like a smoke alarm went off in the room at 11am.

While we did only pay £50 for the room, it didn't seem very good value for money due to the number of times we were distrubed throughout our stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
So sorry to hear of the various issues surrounding your stay with us. I have shared your comments with the heads of the relevant departments and asked that they monitor the situation going forward.
I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again when I would be pleased to oversee your complete stay to ensure that is successful & seamless next time if you would contact me direct.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

Visited on business and booked a meeting room. Location near to M4 and availability of parking was important. For close to Heathrow this was a mid priced hotel and the meeting room was good, easy to find with a very pleasant member of staff on hand to make sure everything was OK. Easy to book and Chido from the hotel was very helpful in organising things.

Arrived about 7.30 pm and plenty of parking although spaces a little tight. Took a few minutes to check in, but not a big delay, and the lady at reception was welcoming and professional. Bedroom was good size with a big comfortable bed and full range of facilities including ironing board and iron, tea and coffee making equipment. bathroom was clean and reasonable size.

Ate in one of the two restaurants (not the oreintal) and had fish and chips. The portions could have been larger (Premier inn do much bigger sizes) but it was cooked well and served promptly and with a smile. The staff seem to be well trained, unobtrusive but there when you want them. Food was at hotel prices but not overly expensive,

Breakfast was fairly standard fare but good quality and no delays

Overall a comfortable stay, well trained, efficient and pleasant staff; I didn't have any problems and felt relaxed and ready for a series of meetings which went well. I would use this hotel again.

One note for people who want a fast get away in the morning, the right turn out of the hotel to join the dual carriageway can get very busy so allow yourself plenty of time.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,
Lovely comments and thank you very much for sharing them.
So pleased to hear that all the elements of your stay were as they should be and that subsequently you were refreshed and ready to face another day.
We will all look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed December 14, 2012

I regularly stay in the area and have stayed in a variety of hotels around so I feel qualified to compare this hotel with the local competition. The location is great for travellers, just off jnc 6 of the M4 and the building looks quite grand from the outside. The car-park is going to be a struggle unless you drive a Smart car. Make sure you’ve passed your ‘manoeuvring-in-tiny-spaces exam’. The check-in went well and the staff we’re smiling and welcoming. The room was best described as average. Yes, it was clean but fairly basic. Now, I’m not talking Campanile basic, it’s far better than that, however you’ll find the same set-up in a Premier Inn with a comfier bed. The room was really warm so we slept with the window open all night, and remember that’s its December. So, up to breakfast things we’re ok, however that’s where it went a bit wrong. It’s a buffet breakfast which is good, however the quality left a lot to be desired. The sausages we’re black and dry, they looked like they had been there a good-while and the scrambled egg was under-cooked, slimy and bright yellow. It looked like someone had dropped food colouring all over it. Fruit juice is on-tap, however coffee/tea are served. I asked a waitress for coffee and I’m still waiting now – Looks like I was just forgotten. The checkout process was slow. Two members of staff on duty each with 4 people queued up. Simply not enough. I would recommend that the owners take a trip down the road the ‘Sunningdale Hall’ which is £20 per night cheaper, doesn’t charge for car-parking and will show you what a good breakfast looks like.

Room Tip: As always with a hotel like this, go as high as you can to minimise noise from above
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank stuartadair
David F, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer

Thank you for sparing the time in reviewing our hotel following you recent stay in room 318. I am sorry that you expectations on this occasion were not fully met.
I have reviewed our logs following your stay and Noted that you did not inform my team about the heating in your room. This is the first such complaint I have received regarding the heat in the rooms and we work hard to ensure that the temperature in our rooms meets the requirements of our guests; although clearly everyone is different we set the temperature at and average and review daily. In the main we are able to control the temperature and I feel certain that if this had been mentioned to us we could have set to the required temperature.
In regard to your comments about our car park being small, we have 230 spaces and larger spaces for 4x4’s. I have what can be described as a big car and have found no problems in my time here, although admit that some might find it a concern. The fact that the facility is offered and secured at night allows our guests the re-assurance of knowing their car is as safe as it can be and our female guests have the knowledge of a well lit area that is secure.
I am sorry that our breakfast did not present itself well to you and have shared your comments with my Head Chef to ensure that he reviews this daily and speaks to the breakfast team going forward if required. We serve around 141,000 breakfasts per year and have over 73 items on displayed with teams checking items every 20 minutes during service for temperature and quality. Clearly on this occasion if there were dark sausages on display I would be surprised as our ovens are incredibly sophisticated and are computer controlled to ensure that all items are cooked perfectly. I will see if this is possible to prevent such an occurrence in the future. I have also addressed with the Food and Beverage Manager as you should have certainly received your coffee and know that he has spoken to the server to address.
I do hope that we will have an opportunity to demonstrate that we really do value our guest’s feedback and that we use these comments to review and improve the service and standards we provide. We are also still in the process of refurbishing our hotel and have completed two floors now with a further two floors under way in quarter one next year, so I hope that next time you stay you will contact me directly to ensure that your next visit is seamless.
David Faull

Also consider these accommodations in or near Slough
Holiday Inn Slough - Windsor
#7 of 21 in Slough
Heathrow/Windsor Marriott Hotel
Premier Inn Slough Hotel
Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa

Been to Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor? Share your experiences!