“Good Value- But.....”

Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Slough
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Good Value- But.....”
Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night as part of a one night- Meet & Greet Parking deal for Heathrow T5.

'Pro's'
- Good value for the B & B & Parking deal
- Rooms clean, spacious & functional

'Con's'
- Lack of Restaurant Staff! We went to the 'Tratts' Italian Restaurant & waited 20 mins before we were offered a drink!
- Bar service, again waited 10 mins for a drink, through lack of staff.
- The Bed mattress quality let the room down. It was soft & springy- not a good nights sleep!
- I had the impression the Hotel was near Terminal 5. Now this is not the Hotels fault, but due to an old Sat Nav & a severe lack of road signs for Terminal 5, it took us near half an hour to travel from the Hotel to Terminal 5 for what was meant to be Stress Free Parking- Believe me, it was not a stress free experience!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TimmyB50
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Heathrow T5, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear TimmyB50,

Thank you for your stay and leaving us a review. We take all feedback from our guests seriously. It helps us gauge what we are doing right and what we need to improve on and sincerely regret that your stay was not up to your standards. I am sorry for the unusual condition of the bed. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will share these with our management team for the purpose of bringing improvements needed.

Connie D
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
England
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Was only here late at night and departed early the next morning for a flight. Ate in the hotel and got a burger with Garlic bread. Cant really go wrong with that, but it wasn't bad so thats the good thing. Room Wi-fi was fast and bedroom fine for most of it's customers as a business/airport hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Zulucherry
Chris W, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Heathrow T5, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking time to provide us with your feedback.

I am delighted to read that overall you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you again soon,

Chris Whiting
Operations Manager
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Stayed here in dec 2012 room good no room service bar meals not much choice breakfast good selection lifts very small very akward with wheel chair and suitcases hotel not very warm ok for one night would try another hotel next time in the area

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

I am pleased that you enjoyed some aspects of your stay, but sad to see that it was not all of them. I am happy to inform you that since your stay we have redesigned our menu,

Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Chris Whiting
Operations Manager
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Just checked out and writing this down while memories are still fresh. Used the Shuttle Bus services from Heathrow which are 4 GPB each way if you buy them at the services desk, or 4.50 GPB on the bus itself. They are supposed to run every 30 minutes. By the time I got to the hotel from Terminal 3, it was almost a full hour later because of the wait and the very long drive. Note to self: book hotel close to the arrival terminal.

Very attractive interior both at reception and the room. Very modern looking albeit small rooms. Bed was comfortable as were the pillows - not luxurious by any means but certainly adequate.
I found that noise wasn't too much of an issue - as others have stated, you don't really hear much from the airport.

Great shower (watch the slippery floor in the enclosure - no adhesion). Wireless WiFi is 12 GBP with a free movie OR late checkout to 4pm OR a drink and "nibbles' at the bar. I was about as far away from the reception as possible yet WiFi was better than a lot of hotels in terms of strength. Speed was average.

Breakfast was quite good, one small area of improvement would be adding a variety of fresh fruit (they had green apples). Scrambled eggs, sausages, baked beans, toast, croissants, rolls, 6 different cereals, milk, apple and orange juices, canned fruit, fat free yogurt and various teas and coffees. And it is included with your stay.

For North Americans, typically you get WiFi free with this type of hotel. Which is ironic, because the more expensive the hotel in NA, the more they charge you for extras (parking, breakfast, WiFi, etc.) You also are very likely in NA to get:
a closet; an iron; an ironing board; hand or body lotion; more than 10 TV channels; flat sheets in addition to blanket and extra duvet and pillows; and, most importantly, a warm room. You won't find any of these here (and, in my limited experience, European hotels don't have the same level of standard room amenities).

The room I had was very cold and in fact the hallway to the room got colder and colder. It is though they don't want to spend the $ to heat the hotel in the area I was in. Yet, for some reason, there is a light in the bathroom which can't be turned off, and the TV is left on in the room advertising the Hotel Chain. Cut the power to those two, and put a little more emphasis on keeping the room habitable.

I prefer a cool room when sleeping, but the room had to be around 15C/59F. Even after a couple of hours with the heat on its highest setting, it might have peaked at 17C/63F - and the heating unit kept shutting off! That's supposed to happen when it achieves its set temperature but for some reason it didn't want to work that hard.

A call down to reception said that they would come that to the room in 10 minutes. Thirty minutes later reception called whereupon I told them that the heating unit still was cutting out. Their solution was to send up a plug in heater (a new unit but an older style which simply radiates rather than blows heat). By the time morning came, the room was finally warm. When I checked out, the Customer Service representative asked how my stay was. I relayed my story and that I was not at all happy. He apologized, noted the room, and then spent a good minute going on about heating and air-conditioning systems and how advanced they are. At the end of it, I wasn't offered any recompense for a completely unsatisfactory stay. In North America, and Asia especially, they do SOMETHING in a tangible way to demonstrate how sorry they are. I vote with my dollars - when I return in March and June, do you think I would stay there again?

If you happen to go in a non-Winter month and are coming in from Terminal 5, then I would recommend it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank cannon_fodder1010
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Heathrow T5, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear cannonfodder99,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding the shower and breakfast.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the air conditioning and customer service. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
montreal, canada
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

I have to say probably one of the most enchanting receptions I have had in a while. Desire at the reception was so gracious and helpful with information and setup. She made it very easy to get into my room as quickly as possible. The room is spacious, immaculate and very quiet. The modern amenities are as good as you get in some better downtown London hotels and everything is very clean. I will definitely come back to this hotel on a future trip, and certainly hope to be received with the same professionalism and kindness as I received tonight.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank sperss
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Spent a night here as part of a weekend away and would stay again. I hadn't realised we would be staying here, as i was on a 'London Shopping Exerience' (which turned out to be Saturday London, Sunday Oxford!! I really must read the small print!) . As a bonus, there is a 'Simply M&S' right accross the road as part of a filling station..........perfect! We arrived about 8ish, so we just nipped accross and picked up some light-bites..........and cake as we didn't want a meal! Back at the room, it was warm and cozy and spotless.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

It's clean, smart and well appointed for a HI Express near a major airport. The service at the reception is very good if you get to Louise. The only real issue is the noise from the central air conditioning or the air handling systems or the generators whatever it is... The duty manager at 1.30 in the morning didn't have a clue either (the one in the room i turned off). You can't hear the planes, but unless your a very deep sleeper the constant drone of the air conditioning will keep you up. I even put in ear plugs !!! Bad nights sleep :-( unless you can sleep in different part of the hotel perhaps.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Heathrow T5, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Russell D,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our location.

However, We’re sorry about the noise during your stay. We will address this point and assure you we will work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Slough
Holiday Inn London - Heathrow T5
Heathrow/Windsor Marriott Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Slough
Hilton London Heathrow Airport Terminal 5
Travelodge Heathrow Terminal 5
Holiday Inn London-Heathrow M4, Jct. 4

Been to Holiday Inn Express London - Heathrow T5? Share your experiences!