“Cheap and a nice alternative to expensive Heathrow Hotels”

Holiday Inn Express London - Heathrow T5
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Slough
New Jersey
“Cheap and a nice alternative to expensive Heathrow Hotels”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

After a conference ended near Birmingham on Friday, I stayed North for one night but with an early flight Sunday, I had to stay near London for the last night. Hotel prices during the games were outrageously expensive, but I was able to find an amazing rate of $69 (USD) for the room. I had stayed in a four star Hilton at a deeply discounted rate (29 GBP) the night before but I found this hotel to be much better. When you buy internet for 10GBP, you also get a choice of a movie or a free drink at the bar among other options. That is a steal compared to other hotels in the area. You also get a free drink by filling out a card about the reason why you are travelling as well. The hotel was just recently renovated. I had a big room, not a great view (car park) but for the rate and the spacious room I didn't mind. For the lights to work, you have to put your room key in a slot mounted on the wall.

It's location is a bit troublesome but I didn't think it was that bad. The hotels closer to the airport were starting at $180 and those rooms did not come with a free breakfast either. I took the train into Slough and took the 81 bus from the station to the petrol station right across the street from the hotel. After checking into the hotel, I a bus (I believe the 77) from the same stop to Terminal 5 to the tube to head into London. Coming back, I took the tube to the West Hounslow stop then took the 81 bus back to the Hotel. To get to T3 much faster in morning, I took the 75/76 bus which is about a two minute walk (if that) from the hotel. All of those buses I mentioned are cheaper than the Hoppa bus and are not entirely inconveinent either. There is not too much food in the area but if you hop on the 81 bus towards Slough or towards Heathrow there are plenty options.

Room Tip: There are not too many elevators. My room wasn't that far away from the staircase but it was a n...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank jetsfan101703
HI_Express_T5, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Heathrow T5, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you for posting a review of Holiday Inn Express London-Heathrow T5 following your recent stay with us. We are extremely pleased to hear that we managed to impress you with regards to our newly refurbished rooms and complimentary breakfast.
Once again thank you for your kind words and for choosing to stay with us. We hope to welcome you over and over again in future.

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
England
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Just booked this hotel to then find out that it is not at Terminal 5. What a rip off. Would lose the money I just paid for the room to cancel it. Not the bargain it seems to be! Taxi is £17.50 each way and as I will be arriving late at night in February really don't fancy the 20 minute or more wait for the Hoppa bus. Feel the name is very misleading and a rather cynical choice on behalf of Holiday Inn. I'm left with a bad taste in my mouth.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are very sorry to read that you experienced inconvenience due to the location of our hotel from Terminal 5. I will make sure that your feedback will be reviewed and be forwarded to the appropriate departments. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I stayed here for one night before my flight from Terminal 3. It's not too far from any of the terminals if driving by car.

The rooms are modern and clean. However, the downside to this hotel for me was the service. Being a Platinum Elite Ambassador level for Priority Club, they did not adhere to a simple request. Despite phoning and emailing for a quiet room, I was given a room right next to the elevator when there was a party on. After asking to move, I had an arrogant response. I had to plead with the staff to move me to a quiet room. As a Platinum member, I'm not expecting a free upgrade at every hotel I stay, but to honour a simple request such as that (also to not to receive an arrogant response).

Slightly worrying when I've seen someone else who has had a very similar experience to myself.

I have another trip planned in 12 days and was contemplating staying here, but don't think as I would as for the price, I'm not a happy customer anymore.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your feedback. It is much appreciated as it helps us to review the product and the service and make constant improvements.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused on your recent stay, it surely is not a representation of our usual high standards of service. We have thoroughly looked into contents of your feedback and this has been taken up with the team as well.

We are keen to have you stay with us again and please contact operations@hiexheathrowt5.com, so we can ensure that all your room requirements are met prior to your arrival.

We look forward to welcoming you back again at the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

We paid just 40€ for our room and really didn't expect much to be honest, but, what a surprise!!!
The room was spacious, clean and the bathroom was as good as new. The beds were very soft,
however as our flight was heavily delayed due to snow chaos in Germany we managed to get
some sleep. As this is an airport hotel and fellow guests check-in and out round the clock you
better take some earplugs with you - unfortunately we got a lot of noise from the corridor.

Breakfast was excellent, we never expect too much from the included HI-Express breakfast, but
the wide range of cereals, hot & cold items was much better than expected. Only drawback is that
you will have to pay £7.50 for the car park. Would stay here again after a late arrival @ Heathrow.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
HI_Express_T5, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Heathrow T5, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Festive greetings,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us.
We are delighted to note that you found that our services have exceeded your expectations. Also, we are glad to know that you have rated us highly and we appreciate your feedback about your experience.
Thank you again and we look forward to serving you again.

Regards, I Ali
Grantham, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Stayed for a night on December 13th, needed to be at Sandhurst by 9 next morning.

A couple of problems were both sorted: I prepaid but their system showed the bartercard booking had been cancelled. I slightly nervously let them have my credit card details so I could stay (they had spare rooms) and sort it with the reservations manager in the morning, but it was sorted overnight and the original payment properly credited. Secondly, TV not working. That was attended to within five minutes of reporting it.

Very comfortable night. Attractive room, love the look of the shower. Excellent bathroom all round, big comfortable beds, nicely furnished (who needs a closing wardrobe anyway?). H shaped blocks surrounding the car parks, no views. Given the proximity to the runways at heathrow, the sound proofing was excellent, but this did mean that the room was a little stuffy, no fresh air.

I'm sure the breakfast was fine, it looked it, I was ill so gave that a miss.

Well manned reception, seemed efficient and friendly throughout.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
HI_Express_T5, Manager at Holiday Inn Express London - Heathrow T5, responded to this review, December 25, 2012
Dear John T,

Thank you for your recent stay with us.

I am delighted to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us and we managed to solve your reservation query as well as have your TV fixed. Also, I note that you specially liked the bedrooms and we will wait for your return , in order for you to try our breakfast buffet.

We look forward to welcoming you back at the hotel soon.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed December 14, 2012

This is a big and busy hotel designed to accommodate air travelers by the bus load. Fortunately the facilities and staff absorb these numbers gracefully. The reception are is large and lounge/breakfast area is large a bright. Two sets of elevators serve 3 floors. There a lot of rooms stretching out in several wings behind the hotel.

During three separate stays on business, I tried several rooms, all of which were identical: a queen bed, a desk, a small TV, a small bathroom with glass shower stall, and a small area to hang clothes. Missing from this design was a place to rest an opened suitcase. The rooms were very quiet, which is ideal when recovering from jet lag.

The breakfast was the HIX standard but arranged on large buffet in a very large dining area/lounge. There are seats for everyone and TVs all around. This made for a fun casual lounge scene in the evenings when guest gathered in groups to watch a game and have a beer (on tap) or a glass of wine. The buffet and bar areas were well-tended at all hours.

For dinner, the restaurant attached to the hotel, Tratts, turned out to be good and reasonably priced. This was fortunate since there are no other dining options in the vicinity. Access to the hotel is easy. A Hotel Hoppa bus (GBP 7 return) runs every half hour to Heathrow. the journey to Terminal 5 takes only 15 minutes, and from there one can get a train into London. To use the car park behind the hotel, HIX charges about GBP 12 a night, but that can be paired with WiFi access.

The persistence of some hotels in charging extra for WiFi access is irritating and this place follows the crowd. This smacks of gouging. At least at this HIX, they paired up such "extras". For example, for GBP 12 I could have WiFi access for one device for the night plus parking, or WiFi plus one drink at the bar, or WiFi plus one movie, and so on.

One irritant was the early start housekeeping made every morning. They knock at 9 am on two separate mornings. I think this is because the hotel is so large and they have to get started. But I think the management should fix this problem by starting the housekeepers lists on the rooms from which guest have checked out.

One major problem occurred on two of my nights and made me consider not returning: the air conditioning system barely operated so my room was insufferably hot and stuffy through the evening and night. The problem got so bad that I had to get a portable fan from the front desk. The room windows are sealed (probably to keep out aircraft noise) so one has to rely on the air conditioning system. Unfortunately, it appeared to be "turned off". Even though I could set the fan speed and desired temperature, after 30 seconds the unit would just revert to slow air circulation, which was barely audible. On the theme of ventilation, another irritant was that the suction fan in the bathroom did not operate in any of the rooms I had. There did not even appear to be a switch for it. This combined with the weak room ventilation meant that the bathroom fogged up instantly and stayed that way for a long time.

Room Tip: Check that the ventilator works properly before accepting the room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thanks for staying with us and for posting feedback on your stay with us. It was good to read all your comments, both positive and negative, which will help us to offer our guests the quality of service they expect from us.
We have cascaded your comments about the Housekeeping and the Ventilator issues to the relevant departments and I have been informed that these issues have now been fixed.

We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Regards, I Ali
Northern Ireland
Reviewed December 14, 2012

I stayed here for one night after arriving back in Heathrow from New York. My connecting flight was not till the next morning. The hotel is very new and clean. The room was bright and comfortable with everything that I needed. The staff were pleasant and helpful and the shuttle bus service is very efficient. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank weemusicwoman
Thank you for choosing to stay with us.

I am delighted to note that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful and again, thanks for sharing your experience.
We look forward to serving you again.