“Shoplands Supreme”
Review of Hakalok

Hakalok
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Authentic Malaysian, Thai Restaurant and Take-Away. Discover the traditional hospitality and cuisine of Malaysia.
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We have been eating here since it opened and the standard is unrivalled in the area.The owner is ever-present.
Three of us had steamed bass, grilled bream, lemon chicken, chilli beef....the style is Malay/Thai.
The restaurant is airy/spacious with simple decor.
Quiet this Tuesday but wth some take-away collectors.

There are newer reviews for Hakalok

Reviewed November 26, 2012

I visited Hakalok with a party of six on the recommendation of friends. I must say that the food and service were excellent. My partner and I shared two Malaysian/Thai curries, the Lamb Rendang and the Chicken Malaysian whcih were delicious, while my guests particularly enjoyed a chicken and coriander dish. Service was unobtrusive and friendly. Only criticism is that the lights are a little bit too bright. Otherwise would definitely visit again and recommend to others.

1  Thank John G
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I enjoyed a pleasant evening meal here with my sisters. We all choose different meals; seabass, sizzling steak and lamb Thai curry. We all enjoyed our meals. The service was excellent and the staff helpful. It was a Friday night but it was very quiet. Judging by some of the reviews this might be why. I would recommend this restaurant.

2  Thank LittleKent
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Just got back from Hakalok and was highly dissapointed by the quality of the food. My husband and I shared the crispy lamb which was tasty but half of what was on the plate was fat and grissle. For our main I had Sweet and sour Chicken which was slimy and tasteless!!! My husband had Lamb rendang and the colour and consistency was very offputting. The taste was extremely bland and very disspointing, We also ordered the okra which was gooey and hot (with chilli) but not flavoursome. This was not thai food but mediocre chinese, just had to scrib my hands and put clothes in the wash as the smell of fried food and feel greasy!!!

1  Thank lola-italy
Reviewed October 6, 2012

My wife and I only became aware of the Hakalok a few months ago and were very impressed with the quality of the Malaysian food and menu choice. So much so we gave the restaurant 4 stars.

Very regrettably the chef who produced such delicious food has recently left. With the unfortunate result the quality of food on offer has declined substantially.

Our personal favoured dishes of choice have now become bland and could not be distinguished from a run of the mill Chinese restaurant, let alone Malay or Thai cooking which is supposedly the restaurant specialty.

I would not go so far as to say we would not ever return to this restaurant. I would prefer that the owners of the Hakalok persuaded their principal chef to return or, train another chef to the same standard. Whilst also recognising that no two chefs are equal.

1  Thank Servicised