“Ideal when visiting Hatfield house”

Best Western Welwyn Garden City Homestead Court Hotel
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Booked into here as an over night stop for a concert a Hatfield house. Taxi was around 10£ on the way there £16 on way back.

Friendly staff, room was clean, especially the bathroom.. Bed was large but was too smaller beds pushed together as one so a bit uncomfortable lying in certain places.

Room was extremely hot even with the windows open , we had to start up the fan with left us with very dry mouths in the morning!! :(

It was a pleasant hotel & the staff were helpful, but I wouldn't stay for more than a night at a time.

• Stayed: June 2013
Andrew B, Manager at Best Western Welwyn Garden City Homestead Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Thank you for your comments during your recent stay and I am glad that you found it a convenient location visiting Hatfield house. I have noted your points with regards to the zip and link bed that you stayed in.
I hope that I have the opportunity of welcoming back to the hotel in the not too distant future

Reviewed June 3, 2013

We were visiting the area for a birthday party and decided to stay here as it was so close by. Parking was easy with plenty of free spaces and check-in was smooth and efficient. However the elevator only carries you to the second floor and is miniscule. More than two people and you start to feel claustrophobic! We were on the fourth floor and had to cart our luggage up the stairs, all doable but it would have been nice to have been offered some help by reception. On the other hand reception were very efficient at ordering taxis when we required.

Our room was clean, light and airy; the bathroom was newly refurbished so great! There was plenty of space for coats, clothes and a nice built in luggage rack for your cases. Tea and coffee making facilities were fine. The bed was very comfortable and I did not notice excessive noise either from other rooms or outside. However the carpet was a bit old, stained in places and in need of a good deep clean. If you want to use the wi-fi connection then my observation is that the high speed internet advertised is not high enough and it was impossible to watch BBC iPlayer on my iPAD. It is OK however for doing basic browsing.

The hot breakfast was OK but pretty basic, there was nothing in particular aimed at vegetarians. I feel the breakfast could have been improved by offering a better range of cereals, fruits, bread, cheese and croissants.

I feel this is a very nice hotel with good, helpful staff and please don’t let what I’ve said put you off staying. The hotel has many positive things going for it but if it wishes to improve and make the experience better for guests then I would consider the following:

Replace the very small elevator with a larger new one that goes all the way up to the top floor or at least offer to help guests carry their luggage.
Ensure stained carpets are cleaned or replaced.
Fix the internet access so it is actually high speed and capable of delivering multimedia.
Offer a wider range of food at breakfast, think more about vegetarian guests.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrew B, Manager at Best Western Welwyn Garden City Homestead Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2013

Thank you for your comments during your recent stay which I have now had time to discuss with my staff. I'm glad that you found my reception team helpful. I would advise you that I am in discussion with our Wi-Fi company to improve this service.
I am always pleased to receive helpful comments such as yours and I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming back the hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

Pro's for this hotel:
a) Free wi-fi
b) Prompt service
c) Close enough to the town center and the business park

Negative: Only one: they need to upgrade their breakfast & dinner menu. The breakfast is too basic for the price charged.

Room Tip: First floor - the room above the front porch is my favourite.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Andrew B, Manager at Best Western Welwyn Garden City Homestead Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Thank you for your comments on tripadvisor, and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Making use of our free Wi-Fi facilities. I have noted your comments with regards to breakfast and dinner which I will take up with my food and beverage team.
I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Andrew Bourcier
hotel manager

Reviewed May 10, 2013

Have stayed here lots of Times and very comfortable place with neat rooms,Good Breakfast and Free Wifi.Nice bar which serves good Pub Food and also a large TV in the bar beaming all Live Matches.Also you will find Signed Jersey's of Russian Footballers who stayed here during the 1960 World Cup I think so.Some eating places nearby but my best bet would be to take a Taxi to The Galleria which has lots of Options to eat and also Shopping.
Also if you are geting into the Hotel from heathrow its better to call up a local taxi guy like AAA and aks him for a flat rate to pick you up which is far better then the Blac cabs.Vice versa for the return also.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for responding on tripadvisor ,I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, staying in a pleasant room, enjoying breakfast with food served whilst watching football on our large screen in the bar. I note that you have stayed with us on many occasions and I look forward to welcoming you back again in the not too distant future.

Andrew Bourcier
Hotel Manager

Reviewed April 28, 2013

As ever this was a business trip for me and having found the hotel easily and parked by the doors check in was very smooth and welcoming with an upgrade to the 4th floor due to my BW platinum card. The room itself was beautifully finished and spotlessly clean although I was a little disappointed with the lack of flow in the shower, the lack of heating in the bathroom seemed a little strange and finally the wifi was a little hit and miss (but I'm being hyper critical to mention those minor niggles).

I ate in the bar and thoroughly enjoyed decent pub fare with good service and a large screen TV showing the nights football, and had a great nights sleep tucked away in the eaves of the building. Breakfast was self service and adequate although the coffee was awful and undrinkable.

Overall a great nights sleep and I'll return without a doubt

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Andrew B, Manager at Best Western Welwyn Garden City Homestead Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Thank you for your comments during your recent stay I am glad that you enjoyed your upgrade to one of our executive rooms and in general everything was to your liking. I hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

The hotel is situated in a residential area, but has a garden at the back ,which overlooks a park, so is green and pleasant. Front facing rooms can be a bit noisy with car arrivals, and smokers clustered at the entrance chatting.
The rooms, while not huge, have everything needed - I stayed there on three occasions in a couple of weeks, beds were comfortable and everything was very clean. Pillows provided are two rubberry strips, but as it says in the folder, proper pillows can be requested and were cheerfully provided. There is good lighting in the room and sufficient plugs and space for IT equipment. Bathroom was well equipped and plenty of hot water and shower pressure.
To my mind it is not worth paying extra for an 'executive room': you go to the third floor in the tiny lift, then have to carry your cases up a further flight of stairs - the room was cold and the bathroom arctic because it is under the roof, and it was the same size as standard rooms. The decor is trendier the TV larger and there were fancier toiletries however, if that is what floats your boat..
Breakfast was excellent, there is a self service buffet, with the cooked breakfast items being particularly good quality. I had a chicken tikka sandwich in the bar on one occasion, which was beautifully presented but tasted of absolutely nothing, made with sliced brown packet bread. Staff were all very pleasant , friendly and helpful.
Sometimes there was insufficient parking space in the evenings when events were being held, it is possible to park in the street but not ideal in bad weather.

Room Tip: rooms facing the back are quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your comments during your recent stay I am pleased that you enjoyed your visit to the hotel, and that my staff assisted you where necessary. I hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel again in the not too distant future

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Stayed 22nd March 2013 in room 107, which has a view of the rear of the hotel and lawn.

On arrival check in was very fast and no hassle. The lift to the first floor is small, my wife and I just got in, and if we both had suitcases there woudl have been little room left. Thereafter we used to stairs even though my wife is disabled and we took our time.

The bar area is nice and well layed out, but as ever one is paying hotel prices for the bar. We had an evening meal in the restaraunt - that opens at 19:00 hours. All of the meal was good as done as we asked, as I like my meat more or less burnt and cooked all the way through. The evening meal for us both cost just over £30 and we thought this was about right when compared to an outside restaraunt meal.

The bed was extremely comfortable, nice and clean and well presented. The room overall was just right for the price it cost me; carpets clean, no smoking room so no smells, walls and curtains well maintained. Television worked well. One point to note, the sliding door into the bathroom/toilet squeeked very noisly when slid open or closed, but I did note this to the recetion and on the feedback when we left the following morning. Could have been a few more towels, but we took our own so not really bothered. Hot and cold water worked as it should, as did the shower.

I did connect to the free Wi-Fi but it was a bit hit and miss as it knocked me off and at times was a bit slow, but then maybe there were at lot using it as I noticed lots of busness people with latops in the bar.

All staff friendly, but as they were so busy they had no time to be more personal and take more time with you, more or less serve you and then onto the next.

In conclsuion, and as I always stay in a Best Western when I can, this hotel was just below excellant. It is in a decent area as far as I could see, but is more or less within a private housing area. There is at the moment a 5% addtional charge for AMEX ard payers, so I used a different card.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments and I am glad you enjoyed your stay, I'm sorry that my staff were unable to provide more when you enquired about information in the area
I'm pleased that you enjoyed your meal with us and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel again in the not too distant future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Welwyn Garden City
Travelodge Hatfield Central
Ramada Hatfield
Ramada Hatfield
#5 of 6 in Hatfield

Been to Best Western Welwyn Garden City Homestead Court Hotel? Share your experiences!