“A great French restaurant, a new chef - now even better than before!”
Review of The Waggoners

The Waggoners
Reserve with OpenTable
The Waggoners is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Welwyn garden city train station 2.5 miles.
Description: Idyllically set between pretty houses and cottages around a beautiful English green, The Waggoners is a refurbished 17th century coaching inn serving unique and beautifully presented French cuisine, infused with international influences. Situated in Ayot Green near Welwyn Garden City, The Waggoners is run by Aude and Laurent Brydniak who have a wealth of experience and have been behind a number of successful restaurants over the last 16 years. As you enter the cosy homely atmosphere, with its dark red walls and stylish pictures, you will be greeted by the friendly French staff, who will show you to your table and help make your dining experience as delightful and pleasant as possible. Let the head chef tantalise your taste buds while you drink some of the best handpicked wines from around the world and for a more informal meal, there is also a great bar menu available.
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We booked a table for two at the recent wine evening at The Waggoners, where we greatly enjoyed a three course meal, with a different wine with each course, plus a pre - dinner glass of Muscadet. The wines at this tasting were from the Loire Valley and were perfectly matched with each course, offering excellent value for £55.00 per head. A new chef has recently arrived and this restaurant is if anything even better than before. This is my favorite place to eat in St Albans and I would recommend highly to anyone.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Yet another wonderful evening at The Waggoners.Took two friends who where visiting from the north of England. Lovely to walk into a busy bar yet still served within minutes. Pleasant evening so we took our drinks to the Decking and sat in the setting sun. We had informed the restaurant that we had arrived and right on time we where called and taken to our seats, as always the staff are friendly and welcoming.The menu has changed since we where last here. The ladies started with the Scallops and the men with the Ham Hock don't think we could have chosen anything better, the scallops where cooked to perfection and the ham hock meaty and full of flavour..The main was a problem as we wanted everything ! Took a while but the men chose to share the 'Cut' of the day Chateaubriand and chose to have it cooked medium. I chose the Coq au vin and my friend the Lamb. The Coq au vin was moist ( a good choice for me) the Lamb and the Cut where both spot on ... the chateaubriand was stunning I tried some and wished I had ordered it so maybe next time! The Lamb was also excellent...We asked for a recommendation for a wine to go with the mains and the choice of Chinon was perfect. To be honest they were good portion sizes and we struggled to fit in a dessert but could not resist the Chocolate Fondant for the ladies to share while the men had a sharing cheese. All in all a lovely evening with superb food and exceptional service as always.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

I have used both the restaurant and the bar area on a number of occasions over the years and have had many pleasant experiences. Today, it was very disappointing. My wife and I called in for a quick and light lunch at 12 noon. A bubbly girl appeared, ( I later found out it was her first day working at the Waggoners), I asked what time the kitchen opened and she advised 12.30pm - so we ordered drinks and perused the menu. About 8 minutes later the bubbly girl re-appeared, and apologised as the kitchen had opened at noon.

My wife and I ordered with her immediately, my wife choosing the mussels in a white wine sauce with chips, and me the ham hock with homemade piccalilli and sour bread. the order was placed before 12.15pm. I should mention that we were the only customers in the Waggoners at this time.

By 12.30pm the food had not arrived, so I ordered a further round of drinks, and was keeping my eye on the clock, as I was beginning to get concerned as to why such a simple order was taking so long to arrive.

At about 12.40, five new customers arrived, and I was just waiting for them to order their drink before going to the bar to enquire about our food. Before I could, it arrived at 12.45. So, my first disappointment was the time it had taken for the food to arrive, when the pub and restaurant was virtually empty.

I noticed that there was no piccalilli with my ham hock - a fact which I pointed out to the waiter. He then told me that the chef had run out of piccalilli. I asked as to why this had not been pointed out to me, as the combination was the reason I had ordered this dish.. The second and an annoying disappointment was that he blamed it on the new member of staff - the bubbly girl. I pointed out that the chef no doubt knew before service that he had no piccalilli, why had staff not been briefed accordingly? He did not handle it very well and went to speak to his manager, a lady appeared who I assumed was therefore the manager, and it turned out that she was not. Profuse apologies, and an offer of alternatives - but to be honest, I had already waited 30 minutes, had a number of tasks to achieve in the afternoon (hence the early lunch) - had now wasted the best part of an hour in the Waggoners. I did not want an alternative as I was annoyed and disappointed. My wife did not want to eat alone. So I went to pay my drinks bill.

My third and final disappointment is that having accepted apologies, and having declined an alternative choice - the team at the Waggoners did nothing to recover the situation in terms of trying to get me to return in the future. Left very disappointed.

2  Thank George W
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I enjoyed this place and would highly recommend it to visitors. The food was great, fantastic ambience and the service was excellent providing advice on selecting the right wine for our food. I had Chateaubriand for the main course which was done beautifully; my only criticism was that it was served lukewarm which was a bit disappointing and thus why I only gave four stars.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Hidden away in Ayots Green is this fabulous French pub restaurant.

Great setting, stunning service and food to match.

Went for Sunday lunch, will definitely be going back.