“Great lunch”
Review of The Waggoners

The Waggoners
Reserve with OpenTable
The Waggoners is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Welwyn garden city train station 2.5 miles.
Description: Idyllically set between pretty houses and cottages around a beautiful English green, The Waggoners is a refurbished 17th century coaching inn serving unique and beautifully presented French cuisine, infused with international influences. Situated in Ayot Green near Welwyn Garden City, The Waggoners is run by Aude and Laurent Brydniak who have a wealth of experience and have been behind a number of successful restaurants over the last 16 years. As you enter the cosy homely atmosphere, with its dark red walls and stylish pictures, you will be greeted by the friendly French staff, who will show you to your table and help make your dining experience as delightful and pleasant as possible. Let the head chef tantalise your taste buds while you drink some of the best handpicked wines from around the world and for a more informal meal, there is also a great bar menu available.
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
“Great lunch”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We came here for a birthday lunch on Friday and had an excellent meal. I had a tasty mussels starter followed by the Ox cheeks then a chocolate pudding all from the A La carte. My wife went for the set choice lunch menu at £16.95 for 3 courses which was wonderful value. There were only about 3 options on each course but something to please most people on there. Bill for 3 courses each with wine was under £70. Staff were very friendly and the they must be doing something right as the place was packed. There is also a small bar area where you can bring your dog after a walk. You can eat in this area as well. Will return.

Poole, United Kingdom
“Absolutely brilliant”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I ate here with my father mid-week and was surprised (until we tasted the food) to see how busy it was. From our lovely waitress to the delicious food, this is a really excellent place. We didn't have starters due to time constraints although as an appetiser they bought out some tempura prawns with the best tartare sauce that we had ever tasted. I had the chicken ballotine in a curry sauce (fabulous) and my dad had the beef in red wine sauce which were both incredible. If we lived nearer we'd be here every week. 5 stars all round.

London, United Kingdom
“A gem, which hopefully isn't changing too much...”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

My boyfriend and I have been here a handful of times in 2012, and each time we go we are impressed by the food and the incredibly attentive and friendly staff (who always remember us, which is lovely). They are also great at accommodating birthdays/anniversaries, as they always decorate the table with confetti - a wonderful touch.

I've eaten various items on the menu - they're always well prepared and passionately devised, but they don't always hit the mark for us. For instance, a scallop starter I had with white chocolate seemed intriguing but really didn't work - the white chocolate was just too much. Also, their frogs legs used to be served plain with a garlicky dip, but now they're breaded which isn't as nice.

I believe they have in the last 3 months introduced a new menu that looks a lot more 'gastropub' than it used to in appearance and somewhat in content - I hope this doesn't suggest a change of direction because this is the BEST restaurant in the area by miles. Our last visit just didn't seem quite as special in terms of quality, but this place is still fantastic.

Value: If ordering a la carte, expect it to be on the pricey side. HOWEVER they regularly offer a meal deal: 3 courses and a glass of Champagne for £24, I believe. AMAZING value!! Also, we always get a complimentary prawn tempura with dip at the start of your meal, which is divine.

Starters: Aside from the above mentioned, I have to commend them, especially the goat's cheese salad which is divine.
Mains: Their duck, pork, and ox-cheek mains are delicious. Sometimes the sauces are a little bland for me - blander than they used to be, anyway.
Desserts: Their desserts are also special, in particular the dark chocolate pannacotta, the apple tart, and especially the lemon and vodka sorbet.
Wine: It varies, but we've never had a bad bottle. We particularly like their Rioja and last time we had an unclassified Spanish red from 1999 that was UNBELIEVABLE for only £24 I think.
Ambience: always wonderful. It's mostly quite a quiet place but it feels intimate and relaxed. Sometimes the music is hilarious - when we were there the first time, we went from classical to Rihanna to 'You Can Leave Your Hat On'!

Overall: go here. Go here and keep this place in business, because I don't want to see it become more like a chain gastropub. This is Hertfordshire's secret treasure.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank LauraTheExplorer88
“Posh prices for less than average food and service”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

My family took me to the Waggoners restaurant as an early Morher's Day treat at the beginning of March. Having had eaten there with great pleasure before , I was very much looking forward to our visit. The disappointment began almost as soon as we arrived, however. Although we had booked a table for two adults and a toddler, we were not presented with a kids' menu, and when we asked for a small portion of mash (rather than the less healthy fries that were on offer) for our little one, our request could not at all be accommodated despite the fact that there were several mains on the menu featuring mash. Our starters were well presented and tasty. The same can't be said about our mains though - chewy beef and duck respectively. When I pointed this out to our waiter, he told us in a slightly condescending manner that this was however 'the French way of cooking duck' (tough and not crispy, really?). When it came to ordering desserts, we asked if we could have just 1 scoop of ice cream for our daughter since she can't manage a normal pudding portion yet, but again the restaurant showed no willingness to go the extra mile. When the ice cream arrived, it consisted of one scoop of vanilla and two scoops of strawberry instead of the vanilla, strawberry and pistachio that we had ordered. In the past, the fantastic food and friendly service used to make me see past the tired decor and dowdy atmosphere, but after my recent experience I won't be eating here again, I'm afraid!

1 Thank MirDochSternschnuppe
B/WOOD ENGLAND
“IT TICKS ALL THE BOXES 5*”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

From the moment you walk in its excellent, The perfect pint to the perfect service. The lunch menu was exciting, the mussels were to die for and my partner's soup was the best she had tasted for years. The main was Black Sea Bass was a picture and it was so delicate and tasty. The Beer Battered Cod and chips was excellent, the tartar sauce so tasty.Super dessert, French apple tart and ice cream, worth the wait. Washed down with a lovely white wines. I was that impressed, I booked to go again, to savor the evening menu,