“Pleasant, reasonable, cute crockery and decor!! Well worth a visit.”

Lavender Barn Tea Room
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bowdon, United Kingdom
“Pleasant, reasonable, cute crockery and decor!! Well worth a visit.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

Been to this place a couple of times for a cuppa and snack/lunch with family members/friends. Never been disappointed, however be prepared for relaxation, and make sure you've got some time to spare, service can be a tad slow. I visited today however and it wasn't slow at all, very prompt, staff full of smiles and very welcoming as always, which is the main factor for me!!! We like to pop in on a late Sunday afternoon before closing. We got here at 2pm today and we just managed to get a table. I had soup which was scrummy, served with a couple of dinky, very fresh, soft rolls and best butter, lovely little snack. I ordered an Earl Grey tea and standard tea was brought out but it was such a good cuppa I didn't complain!! My Mum had a coffee and cheese on toast, basic but very nice she said for the price. The crockery is lovely, it's almost a little surprise very visit, waiting to see what pattern or design will be on your tea pot. The décor is very sweet, I love it, whoever has done this place up really did well, shappy chic springs to mind, but it really works. Loads of parking and you can always check out the little animals on site, rabbits, ducks, Shetland ponies. Small toy area inside for the kids, and in the Summer we like to sit in the open barn area, a few comfy chairs & sofas and they find you with your order out there. Lovely, check if out if you're having a stroll around Dunham, or pop up in your car just for a change of scenery as we did today. I'm an experience Mystery Shopper, and if I was working today, this place would have done well!!!!!!!!!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Marion C

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Extreamely slow service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

We went here today for the first time and ordered a coke, latte, sandwich and panini. 45 minutes after ordering our food appeared. When I asked about our drinks I was told that they were on the way. Another 15 minutes (1 hour after ordering) when our drinks has still not arrived, we simply asked for a refund.
They claimed that they were extremely busy. I'm sorry, but when not all of your tables are full, slow services comes from bad management.
Needless to say, we will never go here again

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank AndyMcr5
Manchester, United Kingdom
“A quiet, charming oasis”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

Half way on of walk we discovered the Lavender Barn. Great place for a coffee/tea break with scrumptious home made cakes. What a bonus to have a shop to browse with an eclectic ix on offer. A true Oasis and good alternative to the hurly burly at Dunham Massey

Visited June 2013
2 Thank altyc
Manchester
“Good food and value in an unusual atmosphere.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

Visired here on a bank holiday monday to meet friends who were on a cycling tour. We have passed it often but never visited. It was quiet but it does not usually open on a monday which might explain why (?) We had tea and cake which were good value - large pot for two was £2.40 and we both had sevrrsl cups from it. The choice of cakes was excellent and they were reasonably priced - only had one so can recommend the bakewell tart !! Location is as name suggests in farm buildings and is quite spacious with areas inside snd out for kids. I would ho again and woild recommend it to others.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank 020308name3
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Lovely Quirky Spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I agree with the previous review; the sanwiches, etc are a bit pricey for what they are - they come with "side salad & crisps" but I only counted four of the latter and the former was nothing to write home about.Tasty enough, but a bit more attention to detail would make all the difference. This having been said, the egg mayonnaise filling is freshly made and utterly moreish.
The coffee's really good and the cakes delicious. If you fancy something a bit different, try the lavender tea - it's fab! In the winter it's great to stop by for hot chocolate & crumpets after a bracing walk in Dunham Park.
The Lavender Barn is tucked away, just a stone's throw from Dunham Massey Hall & Gardens. Inside it's quirky and individual - one room like a farmhouse kitchen, the other like a family room at home - very comfy sofa.
If the weather's kinder it's lovely to sit outside, enjoying the views and the farm animals - ducks, chickens, rabbits, ponies.... great for keeping the kids occupied.
The bit I like best is the open barn area, set out with plenty of wicker furniture and perfect for indoors, outdoors sitting, particularly in the early evening when the swallows and swifts are swooping backwards and forwards to their nests.
It's a lovely spot, with friendly service that makes you feel right at home. No matter how busy they are, you're never rushed, never made to feel that you have to leave.
Definitely worth a visit.

• Visited April 2013