“Supassed all expectations!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Supassed all expectations!”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Had the most amazing night out at this wonderful family run restaurant. Excellent surroundings, superb food and attentive and friendly service combined to make a great evening. I had the pappardelle with porcini mushrooms which was to die for. Each of us had a different dish and thoroughly enjoyed it, suffice to say all plates were cleaned and the portions could not have been described as small. We also much appreciated the little touches such as a bowl of mixed olives when we arrived and heart shaped lemon shortcake biscuits with our coffee, There was a lively seating area upstairs and another more intimate one downstairs. A good cross section of customers - couples, families with children and groups of friends. We arrived at 7pm and didnt leave until 10.30pm but at no time did we feel under pressure to hurry and leave the table for someone else. We have already chosen a date for our return trip and I for one can't wait!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank carrieoldtrafford

Sale, United Kingdom
“Lovely family run restaurant”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Went to this restaurant a while ago but the experience I still clearly remember!
Firstly, the food was great! The restaurant was newly opened when I went last summer, but I could tell that the chefs had had experience cooking great Italian food. I ordered a mixed seafood tagliatelli, but only wanted the king prawns. They were very polite and said that that would be more than fine and reimbursed me for the lack of seafood with extra prawns! The portions were large and so filling.
The desserts were the highlight of the visit. I had a tiramisu and it was so tasty and perfect.
The service was great, it is a little family run business and you can tell that they really care about their customers.
All in all, brilliant food and great service. A little pricey though.

• Visited August 2012
United Kingdom
“Hidden corner of Italy”
Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

Two old friends Dario and Pierro with wives Maria and Silvana have created a unique family feel Italian Restaurant with a great atmosphere. Having eaten in some of the best Italian restaurants here and Italy I can honestly say this matches any of the best. Their Master Chef is old style Italian and uses the best ingredients some unique to Italy. I had the Calamari and fillet steak both succulent and perfectly cooked. House wine Pino Gregio white and Primitivo red excellent and good value. A good cross section of customers all seeming to feel the relaxed family atmosphere.
Not to mention a couple of premiership football players quietly enjoying the same.
Metro ride from Piccadilly almost to the door an added bonus . Perfecto ! Tom

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Thomasjc25
UK
“Friendly but unobtrusive service”
Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

Wide choice of dishes for all courses. Food beautifully presented and in ample portions. Beware that some starters - ribs, calamari, aubergine - come in what I consider to be main-sized portions so you might want to consider sharing until you get a feel for what suits your tum.

Visually, has an elegant restaurant feel but food reminds me of 'trattorie' I used to eat in qhen I lived in Italy many years ago - simple, honest and home-cooked.

• Visited April 2013
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Scalini, if its good enough for Roberto Mancini, it's good enough for me!”
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Last night we decided to try out the ristorante 'Scalini', as we'd heard it was a great new Italian restaurant in the heart of Altrincham. We were not disappointed. When we arrived at 8.30pm, the upstairs bar and dining area was buzzing with an Italian family party, later attended by the football manager Roberto Mancini, a regular diner at this atmospheric little restaurant. We were shown to a table downstairs, which was ideal as we were able to enjoy our meal while still feeling a part of a bustling Italian family ristorante. The two couples who own and run this business could not have been more attentive, whilst not overwhelming... The menu was interesting and the food gorgeous. It had a real flavour of being a part of a traditional Italian family gathering and we were treated like long lost prodigal relatives whilst we were there... We both left at the end of our evening feeling well fed and as if we had four new best friends, who are no doubt ready to accept us back whenever we feel the desire for more of their Italiano hospitality.

1 Thank Richard F