“Inedible. Wouldn't serve this food to an animal.”
Review of Lamour Kitchen & Bar - CLOSED

Lamour Kitchen & Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We're unsure of where to start in this review of the worst food we have ever eaten in a restaurant. Please see our other reviews, We're not difficult to please and recently spent a year backpacking and eating in some very interesting places! However the quality of food served here is not fit to be eaten by an animal, let alone paying customers. Weatherspoons/Farmfoods and Maccy Ds are in a league above this place.

We stumbled upon L'Amour in Groupon and bought the voucher for two. The restaurant is in a beautiful building and its decor is subtle and classic, but is missing atmosphere and it doesn't quite get it right. The music is terrible, a real mish mash of the worst smooth fm style hits.

When we were passed the menu we noticed that it was different to the one online, we asked the waiter who confirmed it was different- not very professional.

Onto the food, we had Mexican chicken nachos to start. There were approximately ten nachos with three tiny bits of white cheap reconstituted chicken, with black burnt lines on that tasted of burnt cheap chicken. Had we have paid £16 for them both I would have been outraged.

For mains we ordered chicken breast burgers, one with BBQ sauce and one peri peri, with a side of large fries and spicy rice.

Again same situation with the chicken, poor quality, burnt and covered in cheap nasty sauce instead of marinade. Burger buns were cheap and the rice was most definitely a microwaveable one from the supermarket. We both left our food as it was inedible.

Next up desert, my fiancée had chocolate fudge cake which was below average and stale. I ordered tiramisu, took one mouthful and couldn't eat anymore. It was indescribable and not in a good way. Rock hard, tasteless and as if it weeks old. The waiter changed my dessert, this time for the strawberry cheesecake which was worse. Burnt, tasteless, stale and was also clearly out of date and should not have been served. Also this this dessert.

We were given VIP milkshakes as part of the offer but they just tasted of plain milk with some bits of gravel like tasteless dust at the bottom. Again these were left.

When the bill came it had the amount on it with no prices/breakdown and it came to more than double what it should have been, although after we realised and asked we got the right bill.

We wouldn't go back if we were paid and feel offended that we have paid to be served food we were unable to eat. They should be ashamed of themselves thinking it's acceptable to serve this 'food'.

4  Thank SkiptonPhoebe
There are newer reviews for Lamour Kitchen & Bar

Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

As we pulled off the side road, we could see L'Amour ahead of us where it commands a position similar to New York's Flatiron building as a wedge shape. Out front is a red carpet and ropes leading to a glass door, and inside a very spectacular bar - all good at this point :) We then waited about 2-3 minutes for someone to turn up behind the bar who then took our Wowcher voucher and sat us down. We had chicken wings/BBQ and nachos/Mexican chicken/ peri-peri sauce which were both very tasty, for mains we had single chicken burger/BBQ with chips & corn side, and double chicken wrap/peri-peri with chips & seasoning. My wife loved the burger, but my wrap first of all turned up as a chicken breast with BBQ, and was then quickly replaced with a wrap which appeared to have little or no peri-peri sauce, and full of the same type of chicken as used on the nacho's which I can only describe as similar to the pieces of chicken you can buy pre-cut from supermarkets - very white, dry & lashed with sauce on the outside rather than marinaded earlier to draw the sauce in to the chicken itself. The seasoning on the chips cost about 50p extra for what looked like a 'pinch' worth unfortunately, even so the chips were good as were the dessert shakes we had to take away - Snickers and Kinder Bueno tasting delicious!

I'm assuming L'Amour is new and applause them for using the voucher services to gain clientele, and would I go back? Yes - but I would hope for a few improvements to become a regular visitor :)

Reviewed April 7, 2013

I feel slightly guilty writing this review and not having the guts to speak up at the time.

I also notice that most of the other people who have reviewed this place giving it a high score have only written 1 review each, a review for this place.
Members of staff maybe? ;)

Firstly, this place has potential but they need to sort a few things out. The decor is fantastic it has to be said. The bar looks like something from a James Bond film.

The waitress / girl behind the bar was friendly and polite and none of this was her fault (it has to be said!).

1. It is chilly in there, especially if you're sat near the door. It is also very dark. As we were leaving a candle was lit at our table, could have done with that a bit earlier on.

2. I didn't enjoy the food. I had chicken nachos and then a double chicken wrap main. The problem was the chicken. I like a chargrilled taste but this stuff was outrageous. The chicken had been cooked on such a high heat that ALL you could taste was an overwhelming 'burnt' taste. It was that overpowering that you could smell it when the food arrived. I had to spit out the chicken wrap into a napkin as it was the most sour burnt taste I've ever known. I should have spoken up at the time but they obviously think this is the way to cook chicken as the starter and main both had the same sort of chicken with black lines burnt into it.

3. The food took forever to arrive. I think the starter took about 45 minutes to arrive. I honestly think they forgot about us as all the other tables had finished their food long before we received ours. So they were cooking for just us.

4. We ordered large chips with the meal and they never arrived yet were on the bill when we went to pay (the bill was revised when I pointed out the mistake).

This was a living social / groupon type offer, I assume that as they are a new venue they've done this to get the punters in, didn't make a good impression though.

I just wasn't impressed and left pretty much all of my food as it was inedible. All you could taste was incredibly burnt chicken to the point where I couldn't even taste the sauce / other filling in the chicken wrap. Maybe they realised they had forgotten to cook our food, turned the grill up to the highest temperature and stuck the chicken on? I'm not sure.

Won't be going back though and hope it improves as the venue is lovely looking. Also, my friend had the half chicken and apparently it was very good! So maybe I just had bad luck, who knows.

1  Thank PeteMakstar
Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

We went here a few weeks ago we had a groupon voucher so we booked a table. I had a look at the online menu before we went and it looked great. When we arrived we were given the "champagne" that was included in our deal. It was horrid, flat, warm and most certainly not champagne. Then we looked at the menu it was not the same as the online menu but never mind. I revised my order but when the waitress came they didn't gave half the stuff on the menu anyway. In the end we both had a starter of nacho and a main of BBQ chicken. Needless to say the food left a lot to be desired. The nachos were bland and the chicken was literally half an over cooked chicken with BBQ sauce all over it. Not good at all. In terms of ambience the place has none you eat your meal right next to the bar practically in the middle of all the people queuing to get served very weak £8 cocktails. All in all terrible experience and will never go again. .

2  Thank Jollyholidayer32289
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Visited in February, for a couple drinks and food with friends, the service was fast and extremely friendly. The drink selection is unbelievable, if your a lover of world beers, then go here!...Food was a very good price and very very nice!....The decor is fresh, its very unique, exactly what the area was missing. Well done L'amour!!