“Good Greek”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Olive Grove - CLOSED

The Olive Grove
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Good Greek”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

I have been going here for a while now and have never been let down, great food, good service and a nice atmosphere, even if your only out for a few drinks with some friends the Olive Grove has a great bar area with good seating, definitely should give it a try.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Adam S

Altrincham, Cheshire
“Nice bar area...but left wondering where the rest of the meze was!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

My partner & I met-up with another couple for a meal, some drinks & a good chat between Xmas & NY...decided to try The Olive Grove.

First impressions: the bar area on the ground floor was lovely - very welcoming, spacious yet cosy, with comfortable sofas & group areas - & set our evening off to a good start. Staff were pleasant & attentive - & drinks were reasonably priced. Would recommend this if you're out & about & just fancy a drink or 2 - even if you're not intending to stay & dine.

Then upstairs to the eating area....nice ambiance & decor continued.

On 1st inspection, the menu appeared a little pricier than I'd expect for a Greek restaurant if I'm honest - especially as it had only just opened (I would have expected some opening offers until it had established a reputation?!) - but not out of line with other Altrincham bistro pubs / restaurant prices. We decided on a Meze for 4.

Good points:
The calamari was delicious & very tender - & even converted the 'I don't want to eat rubberbands thank you' among our little group, after they tried it.

The dips (humous, tzatziki etc) were tasty - & we even had a pot of mussels.

Not so good points:
There was only 1 basket of bread between us - which was no where near enough! I asked for more when we ran out, which was graciously delivered - after a wait, while it was heated-up presumably...I would have preferred that our waiter notice for himself that bread was running low & ask if we needed some more - so that it could be delivered without a wait!

Volumes of food: well for 4 people, I have to say there really was NOT a lot of food! Not sure where the other reviewers ate if they found the portions huge - but we certainly did not find that to be the case here at all.....

A tiny little salad, that didn't even deliver a portion to each of us; small pots of dips that we cleaned-out completely & all agreed we could've easily eaten / expected more. We didn't ask for top-ups, as we were making sure we could manage the 'feast' that we expected to follow.....we needn't have bothered!

The next course arrived: moussaka, pastistio, souvlakis etc...again - surprisingly tiny portions, especially for 4...I wonder how tiny the dishes must be for 2 people??! The pastitsio was bland & tasteless - & the moussaka didn't really thrill either.

The souvlakis...well we were lucky to get a piece of eat meat each, so mean were the skewers. I had 1 cube of chicken & 1 of pork - that's all there was after we'd all tucked in! It tasted 'ok'...nothing to complain about taste-wise - but equally, nothing to rave about...it was just 'chicken' or 'pork' etc - no obvious seasoning or flavouring...a bit dry if I'm honest. I wouldn't order one of these for a main course

We were just thinking that it wasn't a bad warm up overall - & looking forward to the next course, when the waiter asked 'do you want anything else? Coffee? Desserts?" I was speechless - we were actually at the END of our meze - there was nothing more to come!

Now, no one in our group is particularly greedy - & I am notorious for having a small apetite & am regularly overwhelmed in restaurants - but even I was left hungry!

We had a lovely evening overall, partly due to the company & aided by the nice ambiance here - but I'm not raving about this place as a restaurant at all......& unless you have a sandwich before you head out for the evening, I can't really recommend the meze (for 4) as you, like us, may be left hungry!

1 Thank FrostyF
Stokesley, Cleveland, UK
“Nice Greek Food, albeit not Greek!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

Had a lovely evening at the Olive Grove, took the Meze, by the way make sure you don't eat for a week before hand!! So much food and not enough time and room to eat it all !! Only joking the service and food were great. We go to Greece several times a year and believe it or not the food here was better than some tavernas run by Greeks, in Greece! Very impressed by all presentation and taste and would defo recommend. The choice of dips was great and even asked if we wanted more pitta. The mains were all tasty, great soulvakia. Keep up the Good work and we will be back even though we live in North Yorkshire, will defo be a stop over when we are off on our hols. Only shame no Greek drinks, but I believe that they were looking into that as there original supplier had stopped supplying Greek Wine. apart from that it was great, prices are reasonable for a themed restaurant and amount of food you got I think we payed £51 for the 2 of us and that included a bottle of wine as well. Give it a try - you won't walk away hungry I promise :-)

manchester
“Lunch for two”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

Called in tday just passing at lunch time with my daughter and although we were the first in the estabishment we were very well looked after !!
The menu was both interesting and apietising with a special 50% off everything for the whole month of January!!
We had a lovey variety of food and every dish came very well presented and perfectly garnished .
The service was excellent the food devine and although we are not local we will recommend to friends and family .
We live in Prestwich are considering a trip on the tram one weekend with friends in January to try something else from the menu before the offer ends!!
The staff were cheerful and enthusiastic and the decor delightful Thankyou for a pleasent experience

• Visited January 2013
North
“Far better than Mezza Club”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

9 of us went here on Christmas Eve, service was good if a little bit slow. Food was fantastic, the banquet was superb and also very accomodating of young children. Would recommend.

1 Thank McrK