“bit disappointed with the decidedly average curries and surly waiters”

The Hilal Indian Restaurant
Ranked #100 of 202 Restaurants in Altrincham
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Visited here last night as part of a family birthday celebration...Brother in law's favourite place for a Madras apparently....must say it was pretty average and the waiters although efficient were like zombies.The decor is similar to a 1960's living room.It worked out pretty expensive too.What I did like was the balti curries were actually cooked in the balti dish not simply cooked in a pan and poured into one then placed on the table...The actual food was nothing special and although my curry had coriander leaves on top they did not seem to have a fresh taste....I would not be inclined to dine here again since it is nearer for us to visit the Curry mile which seems to move with the times and I have had far tastier meals there..............

Reviewed November 21, 2013

First visit since March and a few negatives this time.

We visited Saturday tea time as a family group and the place was fairly full of families. However when asking for a high chair we were told they didn't have any! VERY POOR Hilal - you need to look after the next generation of curry eaters!!

The waiter was not as friendly as we have had in the past and takes orders using his memory alone - sadly that is not very good as we received one incorrect meal and one incorrect drink in our five requests.

Most of the food was still as good as ever although the English dish (chicken) just looked like it had been cooked in a deep fat fryer which for the price was disappointing.

Prices are on the top side so we should expect good food and top service - the latter I am afraid is not what it used to be - and I have been a regular for over 30 years.

In response to an earlier reviewer - the Handforth Hilal is still an Indian restaurant albeit trading under a new name!

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Had a curry every weekend for over 30 years. Although lgo to a few other places, lts still the best !

Reviewed June 22, 2013

I've been visiting this restaurant for more years than I care to remember now and must admit that I never thought of it as anything special. Well all that seems to have changed now and that is what prompted me to write this review. Last week me and my wife decided to have a walk into Timperley and give the Hilal another try. We ended up having probably the best Indian meal we had ever had. It was simply stunning. All the usual suspects are on the menu but I would suggest that you give one of the house specials a try.
If its a new chef that has prompted the improved food then let's hope he stays for a long time. If its the existing chef raising his game then he deserves a rise.
As well as the good food the service, decor and ambiance were all spot on. Well done to all.
I also had a quick chat with the owner on the way out. A very nice chap and its good to see him still keeping an eye on things after all these years.
A little tip while I'm on would be to have a couple pints in the Quarry Bank pub just around the corner from the Hilal. This should set you up nicely for your meal.

Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

I've been going here on and off for around 30 years. The owner who had the hilal here and at handforth (now closed) is still the same. Timperley restaurant recently updated nicely and food very good