“Dirty and out of date hotel”

Best Western Manchester Altrincham Cresta Court Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Altrincham
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This is possibly the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.

The reception was OK (though overcrowded by dowdy and out of date leather sofas which should be in a personal sitting room, not a hotel lounge area)

The room however, was horrendous. Dirty, out of date, smelly and far too hot. The bathroom was full of mould and rust and the toilet sounded like it was about to die with every flush.

Now, I'm not precious about hotels being super modern or minimalistic etc. But, I do expect them to be clean. This one wasn't. The room was filthy. I didn't touch the floor for my whole stay with bare feet. Given that this was the standard of cleanliness they were happy to let the guests see, I decided to skip breakfast in fear of what state the 'behind the scenes' kitchen may be in.

On check out, I awaited the normal question of 'was everything alright with your stay'? It never came. I suspect this was no accident. After all, if I was on Reception at the Cresta Court Hotel, I certainly would feel embarrassed to ask this question.

I wonder whether part of this hotel has been modernised and part hasn't. It's the only explanation I can think of for why the rooms look so nice on their website, yet the one I stayed in was like something from a 1974 high rise block of flats.

Dirty and depressing. Wouldn't return and certainly wouldn't recommend.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank AlisonDean
PaulHindley, General Manager at Best Western Manchester Altrincham Cresta Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay.

I am sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with the look and feel of the hotel. The major renovation of the reception and bar has now started and the plans look fantastic.

I am saddened to read that in other areas, your review was so discourteous. I have personally checked this room and can assure other travellers that there is certainly no rust or mould in the bathroom, in fact all of the bathrooms have recently been re grouted. I am particularly disappointed to read of your tenuous comments regarding the kitchens as the hotel scores highly in the local environmental health audits, evidence of which is shown with a certificate in the hotels reception.

Paul Hindley

There are newer reviews for Best Western Manchester Altrincham Cresta Court Hotel

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I had my wedding reception here this weekend (20,7,13) and I would like to thank every single staff member who were amazing help especially Adele who was absoultley amazing organising and helping with every single detail she's a credit to the hotel, I had a great time and thank you once again mrs Bryson

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
PaulHindley, General Manager at Best Western Manchester Altrincham Cresta Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Mrs Bryson, Thanks you for taking the time to write this review. It was a pleasure to host your wedding celebration. I have passed your comments on to Adele and the team who are delighted that your day was such a success.
On behalf of the team here, please accept my congratulations to you both. I look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Just an overnight business stay.
Reception was average but after using the room card once the card then failed and required an extra visit to reception to resolve the matter.
Bar was spacious but service was none existent.
Rooms were very hot even with a fan installed, but weather was very hot too.
Breakfast was average, not inspiring, but ok.
Location - easy to find on the main road but easy to miss the entry road too. Could have been signed better.
Paid about £55 for the experience. Not stunning, just average at best but too hot for comfort.

Room Tip: Try Manchester.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. TripAdvisor reviews are very important to us, we take them seriously and I have discussed each of the points with my departmental heads who will work toward rectifying some of these faults. I am sorry that we were not able to excel and hope we have the opportunity to do so, the next time you visit.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Very simple but a reasonable price. I stayed the night before a flight but didn't realise that booking on line didn't give me the courtesy bus to airport. I would book with the hotel directly next time.

Room Tip: I always ask for a high quiet room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that overall your experience matched your expectations. I hope that the next time you fly from Manchester you find that our refurbishment will provide much more that simple accommodation.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

My husband and I were booked into this hotel for 2 nights as part of a weekend coach trip. Upon arrival, we were impressed with the reception area, it was clean and welcoming, as were the staff.
Our bedroom was up on the third floor of the hotel, and again, we found this to be clean and well equipped. The room was extremely warm however, but a fan had been supplied and we were able to have the windows wide open.
The evening meal on the first night was seriously lacking any imagination. We had a set time to have our meal, as we were a party of about 50 people. There was a choice of starter, which was really ncie. The main meal however, was awful, very anaemic looking chicken pie, cottage pie, or a vegetarian option. I had the veggie meal which was okay. There were no vegetables on offer, and when asked about why this was, the staff seemed quite shocked and surprised that we would even consider having veg with our meals??? Our tour manager had a word and the next evening, veg were on the menu, some rough carrots and swede were plonked on our plates.
Breakfast on both mornings was lovely though, with lots of choice on offer and plenty of it.
If we returned to this area, I don't think we'd stay here again, as there must be nicer hotels within the area. Apparently, the hotel will be undergoing further refurbishment within the next few weeks, and I hope this includes some of the kitchen staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has been refurbished.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am pleased that you found the welcome and the room to be clean and welcoming, despite the heat over that weekend.

I am disappointed to hear that the evening meal on the first night was not of a standard but I am pleased to hear that this was rectified on the second night. I am delighted that breakfast was lovely and that despite the numbers in your party there was plenty of choice.

I do hope that you do decide to return and sample one of our newly refurbished rooms.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights as we were visiting Manchester. We drove from Oxfordshire and we were glad that the hotel has such a good car park with plenty of spaces. The area surrounding Altrincham is beautiful with lovely houses, tree-lined roads and huge grassy fields.
We were checked in quickly and went up to our room on the 2nd floor. It is quite an old hotel with narrow corridors. I could see into some other rooms as they were being cleaned and some were much larger than others depending on what end of the hotel your room was.
Our room was in the middle of the corridor which meant it was small. We had a large window which was nice, overlooking a back entrance and some of the car park.
The bed was ok, it's a little old fashioned and does need modernising.You are given the basic toiletries in the bathroom and we had tea making facilities in the room which is good. There was no safe.
The breakfast was an additional cost, it was ok. Next time I would eat in the city.
The hotel is about 7 minute walk from the bus station and metro which we used everyday.

Room Tip: Ask for a larger room on the corner
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for providing a review of your recent stay at the BEST WESTERN Cresta Court hotel. The hotel is indeed being “modernised” and this summer will benefit from a full refurbishment programme that includes the bedrooms, the reception and lounge bar.

We are able to offer several different rates and can accommodate an inclusive bed & breakfast rate, please ask at the time of booking.

I am so pleased that you were able to make use of the Metro system. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

I booked a room at this hotel two days before my arrival and was impressed by the service and attention I received from reception and reservations. I stayed for one night and received a warm and friendly welcome from reception on arrival.

I asked the receptionist later that evening how long it would take to walk to a particular place and was advised 15 minutes. In actual fact the next day it took 10 minutes by car. Improved local knowledge by front of house staff perhaps?

I was pleased to be offered an upgrade to my room and was given room 110. The room was very spacious which was appreciated. However from there the remainder of my stay was disappointing. On the hottest week of the year, the heat in the room was over bearing. In view of this being an "executive" room I was surprised to find that there was no air conditioning in the room and even more so to find that there was no desk fan. I contacted reception and arranged for one to be delivered. Secondly there was no iron or ironing board which I asked reception to arrange and this was duly delivered by housekeeping. In an executive room I think these two items should be already in the room. The hospitality tray was poorly stocked with no biscuits, hot chocolate or fruit teas. In addition in "executive" style rooms the provision of a safe in the room would be appreciated by many.

The standard of décor was satisfactory although in such a large room it lacked any sense of homeliness. One of the windows in the bedroom didn't open or shut properly. Do housekeeping check rooms in this hotel for defects? The room was also quite dusty and the general standard of cleanliness was at best average. A larger quantity of toiletries in a double room should be considered, there was one small container of shower gel and shampoo! I sensed that this hotel was looking to cut costs at every possible opportunity and in doing so have impacted on levels of service.The quality of sleep in the room was good and the bed was comfortable.

Also of note on arrival at 1300, in the foyer, near the gents toilet was the debris from some maintenance work. A vacuum cleaner was visible nearby but it wasn't until later that evening that anybody had actually cleared and cleaned the area. First impressions apparently not a concern? Does this hotel have a housekeeper or duty manager to ensure quality and standards are implemented??

I then went to the restaurant to look at the dinner menu. The dishes were very uninspiring and as a result of the lack of inspiration I ate outside the hotel. My decision was well made when I came to take breakfast. The selection of cereals was poor with a sub standard muesli; only one fruit juice, orange; a cold meat plate with some inferior quality ham and cheese wedges, tinned grapefruit and prunes with the only fresh fruit available being oranges. The cooked breakfast was uninspiring and I chose scrambled eggs and bacon. There were no menus on the table explaining that alternatives were available. Finally to have to cook your own toast in a 3* hotel is more akin to a youth hostel. I sense it won't be too much longer before this hotel considers employing no staff to serve breakfast and you even make your own tea and coffee.

The general attire of the food and beverage staff was poor with numerous waiting staff walking round the hotel looking untidily dressed and an apparent lack of sense of fun. No management were visibly present during my stay offering hospitality.

In summary, what was initially a well handled enquiry by telephone resulted in a disappointing stay at a second rate hotel. I will not be staying here again.

Room Tip: Roll a dice
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay.

All of our reviews are important and I do ensure that my senior management team discuss and act upon the comments made in order to continually improve the service and standards we offer our guest.

Thank you for highlighting the areas where you feel we did not meet standards, I will make certain that each of these issues are addressed.

Paul Hindley

Also consider these accommodations in or near Altrincham
Mercure Altrincham Bowdon Hotel
Travelodge Altrincham Central
The Normanhurst Hotel and Restaurant
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane South
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane North
Last Drop Village Hotel & Spa
Last Drop Village Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Bromley Cross

Been to Best Western Manchester Altrincham Cresta Court Hotel? Share your experiences!