“Slow service, smells terrible”

Swan with Two Nicks
Ranked #10 of 172 Restaurants in Altrincham
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Scenic view, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Altrincham, United Kingdom
“Slow service, smells terrible”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

The Swan With Two Nicks has all the potential to be a nice country pub, but doesn't quite make it. Staff are slow to serve, often not terribly polite, food is average and the place suffers regularly (too regularly for my liking) from bad drain smells. A little thought, a little staff training and Dynarod could do wonders for it.

Visited February 2013
Annabel206, Manager at Swan with Two Nicks, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
I will be contacting the customer direct to see what the problem was, as we take all matters seriously. The drain smell sadly can happen from time to time as we are a very old building with ancient drains and when people ignore our pleas not to put baby wipes and nappies down the toilets, it causes us major problems as we are not on mains drains due to our remote location. I can assure customers we spend thousands on making sure our drains and waste treatment plant are maintained regularly, but careless people can cause the problems at times.

“Hungry”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

My boyfriend and I decided to go for Sunday lunch. When we arrived it was pretty busy but decided to wait the 30minutes to get a table. It took 1hr between ordering and getting our food, what arrived was not what was ordered. I had the Cajun chicken pitta pocket and what arrived was chicken and veg in some kind of tomato based sauce in a pitta bread. No spice whatsoever. He had chicken with haggis and thoroughly enjoyed it. The waitress also walked past our table a few times not noticing my empty glass, which since I was sat waiting for food should have been noticable. I opted to have a dessert after checking the wait time to be told there was no wait for dessert but was still kept waiting 15minutes. I enjoy the hussle and bussle of a busy pub but not the screaming kids that seemed to be in today. Overall very disappointed with the wait for food.

I am sorry to hear that this customer had a poor experience, I have privately emailed the customer to find out what went wrong, but as yet I havent had a reply, so I cant investigate.
“Excellent, as ever”
Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

Ate here today, food was excellent as ever (had a nicely presented and tasty chicken stuffed with Haggis), wife had cheese and onion pie. Excellent selection of beers, local and national.

Managed to get a seat by a roaring fire and had a lovely meal followed by excellent locally-made icecream. Service was good too.

Very Happy, see you next time!

Warrington, England, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing truly amazing”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

The food was exciting the staff were very friendly and the manager was extremely kind as soon as I came through the door, lovely atmosphere and kind touch. Highly recommended.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Georgia H
Thank you for such a lovely review and kind words.
Ann
Warrington, United Kingdom
“Always good value”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Having been to the Swan and Two Nicks dozens of times since first discovering it, and having sampled over 3/4 of the main food menu and been on virtually every social occasion (Birthdays, goodbye meals, goodbye drinks, social gatherings) I have always found the staff, food, and above all the atmosphere superb.

I am often surprised to read negative reviews. While I must own to having not been on a Sunday afternoon when it gets really busy, every-time I go there I am treated with a warm smile and good service (I have worked in customer service-oriented jobs for over 3 years so I know what it looks like) and haven't yet been disappointed, and neither have the numerous friends I have dragged all the way out to Little Bollington through the winding roads for a meal or a drink! The only gripe someone could level is that the food is a little pricey, having said that the quality of the food (Locally sourced) has never been less than excellent, and the portions are not stingy either.

The surroundings are beautiful and even on a dull rainy day this cosy pub is worth a visit, on a beautiful winter/or summer's day it is simply a must visit, especially if you have come to visit Dunham Massey as it's literally a 10 minute walk through the fields of Dunham to get there. The ambiance is precisely what you would expect from a country pub surrounded by the rich local history of Dunham: Good drink, good food, good service and good atmosphere. Bring along some good company to throw into the mix and enjoy :)

• Visited August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review, it makes our job worthwhile to know we are making people happy. Thanks again. Ann