“A poor advert for Mercure”

Mercure Altrincham Bowdon Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Altrincham
Reviewed March 5, 2014

This Hotel is tired in more ways than one, I was allocated a room on the top floor of this Hotel, the door on the bedroom had been kicked in at some time and had been poorly repaired, not a good start. It was pleasing to see they had a nice flat screen TV, it was disappointing that once switched on it appeared that they needed a new aerial.

It did not really matter as the TV mount was broken and the TV pointed at the floor, not a problem if your two foot tall or sleeping on the floor! I decided to have an early night but was kept awake by a banging noise, in the morning I discovered that there was no handle on the bathroom window and it had banged all night. I ate in the restaurant, it was not much better, the service was slow and the food poor, not one for a repeat visit.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank seadreamrascal
gmbowdon, General Manager at Mercure Altrincham Bowdon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

Accept these comments and regret any failings much of which could have been corrected on the day had they been flagged up at the time.
I realise it is of little consolation to you now but most of the issues were corrected immediately following your departure and belive you would see marked improvements on any subsiquent visit

Reviewed March 2, 2014

What I liked: Very efficient and helpful staff, e.g. for checkin and checkout. Cosy rooms (I had a room in -1 from reception). Reasonable wireless internet signal to the room. 10 minutes drive to Manchester airport.
What I liked less: While dinner was pretty good I found it a bit expensive for what it was.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank bubendor
gmbowdon, General Manager at Mercure Altrincham Bowdon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Pleased to know that generally you had a good stay and thanks for taking the time to review the visit

I firmly believe our food represents good value and that we have a very flexible pricing structure giving guests the option to buy 1, 2 or 3 courses in the restaurant along with a sizable bar menu with many ressonable priced dishes but will take a further look at this to see if there are other options we can adopt in an effort to please all markets

Reviewed February 28, 2014

This is the second time we have stayed at this hotel, returning as we had thoroughly enjoyed our first visit, we were celebrating a friends birthday & thought it would be nice to return. We booked the all inclusive deal as before but had a totally different experience.
When I asked one of the waitress' for a round of drinks at the dining table she informed me i would have to go through to the bar to get my own!!!!
We were on a different menu to other guests using the hotel restaurant and if I queried anything the staff would reply with 'your on the all inclusive therefor.......'.
All inclusive meals at Altrincham Boden do not include vegetables - these are extras for which a supplement is charged - a supplement is also charged if ordering lamb shank, steak etc (pasta is ok - you get the picture). We have stayed on a number of Mecure's all inclusive deals at various locations and have never been made to feel 2nd class like the restaurant staff at Altrincham Boden made us feel.
(Incidentally the all inclusive package is not viable for me as I don't drink either draught beers or wine - I have never felt this is an issue when I am paying for my drinks on an evening).
Never again would we stay at the Altrincham Boden.

Room Tip: Try avoid fire exits, the banging of doors goes on & on.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Very concerned to learn of your views which do sound quite allien to our hotel, nothing has changed since we started offering Fully Inclusive deals so it does seem strange particularly as you enjoyed your first visit.
We do not have seperate menus for any guest on different packages but do accept that along with a fair range of dishes twe also have some dishes which carry a suppliment which many guests enjoy.
I would be very please to talk to you directly should you find the time to ring me to discuss your stay in more detail.
I hope to hear from you as I do not want any of our guests to feel 2nd class.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

Booked this hotel because we were flying from Manchester and needed to be at airport for 4 am. On arrival at the hotel we found limited car parking spaces (we had paid to leave our car here for the week) - this is at our own risk. Once parked we took our 4 suitcases and luggage into the hotel to find it has no lifts. We had to carry the heavy cases up 3 flights of stairs to our room.
The room was very spacious and comfortable.
We looked at eating in the hotel restaurant but it was very expensive so we decided against it.
Upon our return at midday the bar was closed and we were very thirsty after our flight. We asked at reception and we were served drinks (again expensive - £12 for 3 cokes and a small coffee).
The hotel is about 15 min drive away from the airport. I wouldn't use it again but I suppose you get what you pay for and we did get a good deal.

Room Tip: Ask for room on ground floor to save lugging cases up flights of stairs.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Difficult to apologise for having a busy hotel with not many free spaces in the large car park but it does appear that one was found.
We do not have or advertise a lift but are always happy to assist guests with luggage if requested and there should have been no need to struggle.
We have both a restaurant and Continental cafe bar that also serves food at what I think are reasonable prices and similar to many of the restaurants in the village but regret that you thought this to be expensive.
I can only assume that you had pints of coke with the coffee as regular servings with the coffee would have been under £9, again most comparable to local pubs, cafes and restaurants.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

I recently stayed here for 5 nights as I was attending a training course in the area and this hotel had a corporate rate with the company who was running it.

Location-wise it's in a lovely area and walking distance to Hale, Bowden and Altrincham so you would be short of nice places to eat. The leisure centre is a nice bonus and althought I didn't use the pool it looked quite nice and the gym had everything I needed.

The staff were a big plus for me, each one of the them more lovely than the last and a pleasure to deal with. My room, although small was quite clean, the area where the shower door met the bath could really have done with some attention, and the bed was comfortable.

And so to the reason why I would never stay again - the sleep quality was abysmal. When I arrived there was a very loud humming/whining noise in the corridor which got louder as I entered my room. There was no way I was ever going to be able to sleep with that so I went straight back to reception. The lovely girl on the desk came back with me, went into a door at the end of the corridor and fixed it, I think it was coming from the heating pipes. However it started again in the middle of the night, waking me but was gone again in the morning. When I arrived back the next day the noise had started again. I went back to reception and the same girl fixed the issue. However it started again during the night, same time as the night before 3.05am and this time kept me awake for 3 hours. Needless to say it is very difficult to focus on training when you are sleep deprived. As I had been to reception twice already and no mention of moving me had been made I instead went to the local pharmacy and got some ear-plugs. That was the noise problem solved. Also the room was at the front of the hotel and traffic noise was clearly audible.

Secondly my room was ridiculously warm which also made it difficult to sleep and my windows would not open. The heating was on constantly throughout the night. Even with my radiator turned off there were still two pipes running the length of two walls in the room so despite drinking 2lts of water every day I was horribly dehydrated, again not good for concentration levels.

It really was a terrible pity because if it had not been for the heating issues, both noise and temperature related, I would have had no problem staying again but sadly due to these I could never recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank T0ul0use

I have noted your comments and very much regret the inconvenience you endured with noise from the plumbing but can do little about the traffic although the road to the front is not at all busy during traditional sleeping hours
Obviously I now have the task of tracking down the said noise to find a lasting way of resolving this for the benefit of future guests, I hope my desk staff can remember you as it is not clear in which area of the hotel you stayed.
On a brighter note I was pleased you found other aspects of the hotel and its location to your likeing and hope the disturbance did not detrack for the training course you attended

Reviewed February 26, 2014

We booked a superior room for 4 nights with this hotel. The website promises free wi-fi throughout. We were allocated room 118 which was very small, certainly not superior room size when compared to other rooms on the same corridor. Also the window did not stay open, it was unbearably hot and the wi-fi was non existent in the room. The bathroom was also tiny. We complained after the first night and were moved to room 63 on the ground floor, much more spacious and more like the superior room that we envisaged when we booked. This has happened to me before at this hotel - certain rooms are very small (the last time we stayed what can only be described as a single room was sold to me as a standard double). The hotel is also very very warm and does not have air conditioning so beware if you are staying in the summer time. The leisure centre isn't bad, the pool was nice and quiet and the facilities generally pretty good. Basically this hotel is in a really nice part of Manchester, very close to Hale village with its restaurants and bars - it could make a killing if they sent it more upmarket but as it is, it's pretty average fare. Just don't stay in room 118!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

I was sorry to learn that 118 was not deemed to be of a superior standard but this is identical to other rooms of this type on the corridor but was pleased we were able to move you to a more suitable room after your brought your views to our attention.
Generally our free WiFi works well through the entire hotel and have had no other reports of service issues in and around the time of your stay, guests usually tell us very quickly if there is a glitch but regret you found this to be the case.
Sadly we do not have air conditioning in any areas other tham all the public areas that said we do not have the heating on in the summer so future guests should have no great fears in this respect.
Pleased that you found the location and the local facilities to your liking.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

Visited this hotel on business and we had 3 rooms and all were as bad as each other, floors so squeaky, general up keep of rooms is very poor and beds left you aching when you got up after a restless night. My particular room was a apparent superior room which appeared to mean basic with a bathroom so small you had to manoeuvre around the room to open the shower screen or use the toilet yet the room was very big with a bed at one end and a large amount of pointless empty space. The gap under the door to the corridor must have been at least an inch which let light in the room all night to add to the shouting and yelling in the corridoors. The breakfast was basic and very greasy and just the general upkeep and quality was by far the worst I have seen in a long time.

After sending a letter of complaint to the Accor group which was just forwarded to the hotel manager we received a response back to say basically that as its an old hotel with different buildings the styles are different per room and without huge investment the rooms couldn't be improved but there beds where of high standard. The letter basically read of a standard letter and after reading the reviews on here it certainly clarified that thought.

If you ever have the misfortune to stay in this area would strongly recommend booking a hotel near the airport or a travel lodge as the standard will be much better

Room Tip: This hotel don't have any but beware if you have the misfortune make sure you get a so called re...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

The client is indeed correct in the fact that I have already communicated with him directly regarding his recent stay.

Paul Rodgers

Also consider these accommodations in or near Altrincham
Best Western Cresta Court Hotel
Travelodge Altrincham Central
Premier Inn Manchester Altrincham Hotel
Premier Inn Manchester Trafford Centre West
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane South
Hotel Football Old Trafford

Been to Mercure Altrincham Bowdon Hotel? Share your experiences!