Mercure Altrincham Bowdon Hotel
$46
  • Bar/Lounge
$65
$63
Premier Inn Manchester Altrincham Hotel(Altrincham)(Great Value!)
$67
  • Free Internet
$95
$79
  • Breakfast included
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsleisure facilitiesall inclusive dealmanchester airportweeks parkingthe ground floorcourse mealplenty of parkingpleasant staffbar areafamily roomstayed for one nightan early flightovernight staybreakfast was excellentfollowing morninghaletaxi
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Booked this hotel based on the price which was excellent and the fact we had a restaurant meal booked in Hale. The location was superb as we were only a ten minute walk from Hale village and didn't need to drive or take a taxi.

However, the room left a little to be desired and I have highlighted this in the online survey Mercure subsequently sent out. We were amazed that all the rooms had been refurbished within the last two years because our room (276) was rather tatty - wallpaper needed sticking down above the beds and was peeling off behind the radiator plus the enamel was coming off in the bath. In addition, the hairdryer had jammed in the dressing table drawer and we couldn't move it at all. I hadn't originally intended commenting on this because it had proved such good value for money but once I heard there was no refurbishment in progress, I really couldn't stop myself. There was a stark contrast between the decor in our room and the decor in the dining room where we had breakfast which had been very attractively done.

I would probably stay here again based purely on the price and location but may be more specific in the type of room I requested in future.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
gmbowdon, General Manager at Mercure Altrincham Bowdon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2013

Regret that you did not fully enjoy your stay and thank you for completing the on-line survey which we have responded to separately.

The decorate defects were quickly corrected following your departure but should have been attended to before the room was allowed to be let and apologise this was the case

Genaral Manager

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Stayed at the Bowdon Hotel for one night before flying to Mexico from nearby Manchester airport.

Booked the night stay with a weeks parking, 3 course meal and bottle of wine for £110 through Thomson's and overall was good alue for money.

Hotel wise friendly staff. The trip to teroomwas a little higgledy piggledy and not sure howpeople less physically able would manage. The corridors were in a poor state of repair.

Pleasantly surpirsed with room which was nicely decorated and adequate for a night stay.

Ate in the restaurant- the food was beautiful- better than anything I had on holiday and up there with many good restaurants, I could pick fault but generally it was good and the wine good too. Service was friendly and homely.

Parking arrangements- the Hotels terms and conditions didnt fill me with confidence certainly a contrast to the meet and great arrangements at the airport. Made me feel like something would happen to my car and I had no cover when it did. Maybe a little melodramatic but it was in your face.
The price included a taxi to and from the airport which took 15 minutes and arrived on time. The return procedure was not quite as slick, just clarify where you are being collected from and how long they will be. Our taxi arrived sooner and left without us which meant a cold wait for another.

We collected the car- without incident and enjoyed a breakfast at the hotel before returning home.

The staff at the hotel were helpful, the food was great and the room and parking arrangements etc satisfactory. The hotel decor is dated in some areas and the stairs were difficult to negotiate.
Overall great value for money.

Room Tip: ask aout access if you have mobility issues.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Please to hear that your stay with us was enjoyable and that you had a good meal in our restaurant.
Sadly we do not have a lift but have a good number of rooms on the ground floor or with flat access and recommend all clients with mobility issues to request such a room

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Have stayed here a few times & always looked forward to returning. However, after this stay, my attitutude has changed. Arrived with a booking via Mercure website that stated I had payed for the room & had nothing to pay at the hotel. The receptionist said I had not paid & demanded payment which I queried. Was told that my card had probably been declined (unlikely! but let's blame the customer) so I asked to see the slip saying that. They could not provide. I asked for some proof that I had not paid & was only told that they did not have any paperwork! Then asked why no one had bothered to contact me re the payment & was told "we probably did but could not get through to you." (blame the customer again despite having my email & phone details.) A lengthy discusion re the internal workings of Mercure (as if I am interested?) Duty Manager came out & did not help. Suggested I go to a cash point to see if my payment had been made (talk about up to the customer to sort out their problem!) In the end they decided to phone me when I returned to see if the payment had gone out of my account. Welcome to the Mercure. This visit has damaged the reputation of Mercure & the individual hotel & that is before we got to the room!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Esperanto-uk

Having talked to my staff involved I think it is clear that payment was not taken in advance of your arrival. The suggestion of checking a bank account was a sensible solution and understand this check verified no money had been taken.
I further understand the stay was granted and payment issues resolved the day after departure following a call made by our Reservations Manager.
Clearly there was some misunderstanding and apologies for any mistakes on our part

Reviewed February 23, 2013

A group of 7 friends have just spent 2 nights in the hotel on a Travel Zoo All Inclusive deal - what brilliant value. We had breakfast on both mornings (of which was a brilliant standard), 2 course evening meal, with wine, then wine, lager or beer from 7 - 11pm for £188 for 2 people.

It was a special birthday for my husband and our friends joined us as a surprise to him, the hotel staff were fab at helping us keep this a secret, decorated our table for dinner with the balloon and confetti we provided and brought the cake out afterwards too.

Nothing is too much trouble for the staff always willing to help - ESPECIALLY Dave who gave us some great tips on where to visit and made our stay very special.

We will definitely recommend this hotel, very clean, warm and welcoming. Only thing lacking was biscuits to have with tea/coffee!!

Thanks for making our stay such fun (sorry about the noise)

Room Tip: Our room was 127 which was lovely - quality fixtures and fittings
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Very pleased to hear that you had a good stay and that you enjoyed the birthday celebrations.
Our aim is to provide all guests with a good experience and I know David will be greatly encouraged by the praise.
Thanks for taking the time to post this review and hope you will return again in the future.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

It's been a year since we last visited but this time it was a nightmare. I agree with all points given by another guest Colin C on February 11, especially the point made about unhelpful management which I also found to be patronising. Our biggest complaint during our stay was no hot water in the mornings but reception staff and duty manager just shrugged this off and told us to go to another room to wash so we just went home,never to return to any Mercure hotel ever again. Room wasn't cleaned, bins weren't emptied and beds not made at all during our two night visit. Dirty bed clothes just left in trolleys to the side entrance for days - what a dump!

Room Tip: choose a room in Premier Inn!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Sadly there was a technical issue with hot water to the shower head and the offer of another room was by way of a quick solution to the problem for the guest benefit there was never any intention on the part of the Reception Manager to be patronising and apologise if her solution was percieved in this way.
Rooms are cleaned daily but believe there was a misunderstanding in this case between the occupant of the room and the room attendant resulting in the room not being cleaned, this could have been quickly resolved by a phone call to reception or Duty manager and regret this was not done.