“What”

Mercure Altrincham Bowdon Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Altrincham
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Have stayed here a few times & always looked forward to returning. However, after this stay, my attitutude has changed. Arrived with a booking via Mercure website that stated I had payed for the room & had nothing to pay at the hotel. The receptionist said I had not paid & demanded payment which I queried. Was told that my card had probably been declined (unlikely! but let's blame the customer) so I asked to see the slip saying that. They could not provide. I asked for some proof that I had not paid & was only told that they did not have any paperwork! Then asked why no one had bothered to contact me re the payment & was told "we probably did but could not get through to you." (blame the customer again despite having my email & phone details.) A lengthy discusion re the internal workings of Mercure (as if I am interested?) Duty Manager came out & did not help. Suggested I go to a cash point to see if my payment had been made (talk about up to the customer to sort out their problem!) In the end they decided to phone me when I returned to see if the payment had gone out of my account. Welcome to the Mercure. This visit has damaged the reputation of Mercure & the individual hotel & that is before we got to the room!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Esperanto-uk
gmbowdon, General Manager at Mercure Altrincham Bowdon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2013

Having talked to my staff involved I think it is clear that payment was not taken in advance of your arrival. The suggestion of checking a bank account was a sensible solution and understand this check verified no money had been taken.
I further understand the stay was granted and payment issues resolved the day after departure following a call made by our Reservations Manager.
Clearly there was some misunderstanding and apologies for any mistakes on our part

There are newer reviews for Mercure Altrincham Bowdon Hotel

Reviewed February 23, 2013

A group of 7 friends have just spent 2 nights in the hotel on a Travel Zoo All Inclusive deal - what brilliant value. We had breakfast on both mornings (of which was a brilliant standard), 2 course evening meal, with wine, then wine, lager or beer from 7 - 11pm for £188 for 2 people.

It was a special birthday for my husband and our friends joined us as a surprise to him, the hotel staff were fab at helping us keep this a secret, decorated our table for dinner with the balloon and confetti we provided and brought the cake out afterwards too.

Nothing is too much trouble for the staff always willing to help - ESPECIALLY Dave who gave us some great tips on where to visit and made our stay very special.

We will definitely recommend this hotel, very clean, warm and welcoming. Only thing lacking was biscuits to have with tea/coffee!!

Thanks for making our stay such fun (sorry about the noise)

Room Tip: Our room was 127 which was lovely - quality fixtures and fittings
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Very pleased to hear that you had a good stay and that you enjoyed the birthday celebrations.
Our aim is to provide all guests with a good experience and I know David will be greatly encouraged by the praise.
Thanks for taking the time to post this review and hope you will return again in the future.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

It's been a year since we last visited but this time it was a nightmare. I agree with all points given by another guest Colin C on February 11, especially the point made about unhelpful management which I also found to be patronising. Our biggest complaint during our stay was no hot water in the mornings but reception staff and duty manager just shrugged this off and told us to go to another room to wash so we just went home,never to return to any Mercure hotel ever again. Room wasn't cleaned, bins weren't emptied and beds not made at all during our two night visit. Dirty bed clothes just left in trolleys to the side entrance for days - what a dump!

Room Tip: choose a room in Premier Inn!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Sadly there was a technical issue with hot water to the shower head and the offer of another room was by way of a quick solution to the problem for the guest benefit there was never any intention on the part of the Reception Manager to be patronising and apologise if her solution was percieved in this way.
Rooms are cleaned daily but believe there was a misunderstanding in this case between the occupant of the room and the room attendant resulting in the room not being cleaned, this could have been quickly resolved by a phone call to reception or Duty manager and regret this was not done.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Although this hotel is ok for a short stopover I would not recommend it for a stay of more than 2 nights.
the hotel was clean and well placed for Manchester airport and for visiting local attractions, as long as you have your own transport.
The food quality was excellent.
the room that we were allocated was tidy but sparsly furnished and smaller than most comparable hotel rooms.
most of the staff were pleasant and helpful with the exception of two, one of which, a barman liked to say "check your terms and conditions" when we asked for anything that apparently was not included in our package.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
gmbowdon, General Manager at Mercure Altrincham Bowdon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2013

As with the previous comment I am surprised that clients required a car to look around when there is so much to see and do within walking distance of the hotel.
Apologies if a menmber of my staff appeared to be a little turse but pleased other aspects of the hotel were to a good standard.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

the room was very spacious and clean but unfortunately we didn't enjoy our stay as much as we wanted to. the hotel is very far and theres no public transport around except for a train that runs every 2 hours... there are no lifts in this hotel which makes it hard to go around with the luggage and the breakfast is very poor. the only very good point was the pool, sauna, fitness...

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

I have to say I am a little confused by the comments written about our hotel, we are situated very close to many ammenities, Hale station is perhaps but overly busy but has quite a regular service to various points in the North West, the village of Hale is only a 2 minute walk away and is delightful as is the lively town of Altrincham which is a 8 minute walk from the hotel.
Reception do have lots of information on the local area and recommend guests ask for information if they are looking for things to do or places to see.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Hotel was great.

Location excellent, Hale is a lovely place.

The leisure facilities were unavialable due to maintenance. We were disappointed as this was one of the reasons for choosing the hotel. We appreciate that this is essential to be carried out but the planned work wasn't made clear at the time of booking.

The staff were also very sterile on reception and didn't really seem like they wanted to be working there.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

The leisure club was closed for a short period of time to carryout some great improvements.
It is always difficult to choose the correct time but did consider the Christmas break to be the right time as this is generally the quietest period.
Every effort was made to notify as many of our potential users as possible but clearly we were not 100% successful and regret any disappointment the lack of this facility caused.
Whilst of no consolation now, the leisure club was fully re-opened in early January and have received lots of great comments about the improvements.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Not family friendly, they advertise a hotel pool but when we arrived we discovered that children are only allowed to use it for 2hours a day- Monday between 12-2, which is the time our 2year old sleeps like most children !
I could maybe understand if it was a pool with lanes where people were trying to swim or if children were not allowed after a certain time but this is not the case. To be open for fourteen hours and only allow children in for two hours when most of them are eating and sleeping anyway then what is the point. We were not informed of these restrictions when we booked as it is not advertised and would not have done so if we knew. Part of the reason we booked the hotel was to have some family relaxing time, it has ruined our break and will not book with this chain again, never have I stayed in a hotel with these ridiculous rules. The unhelpful manager was surprised he said, at our complaint, all he cares about and kept mentioning is that he has other leisure members to think about I.e the locals who pay to use the club not his hotel guests that have paid for the stay at a hotel that advertises pool. He was rude and arrogant.
I DO NOT recommend this hotel to anyone with children.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Colin C

Firstly I very much regret i wasconsidered to be rude and arrogant, that was not intended to be the case I was simply trying to explain our operation.
It is ture that we have restricted times for children to use our pool which vary from day to day including quite extended hours during the weekend.
It has always been our intention to make all guests aware of these restrictions and regret that this information was not picked up from the many sources available but do encourage others to check this information before booking to aviod any possible misunderstanding or inconvenience.
It should be noted that we have many guests with children who use the hotel throughout the year and do consider our hotel to be suitable for families

Paul Rodgers

Also consider these accommodations in or near Altrincham
Best Western Manchester Altrincham Cresta Court Hotel
Travelodge Altrincham Central
Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel
Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane North
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane South

Been to Mercure Altrincham Bowdon Hotel? Share your experiences!