“Nice hotel. Friendly staff. Good food. Enjoyable stay.”

Mercure Altrincham Bowdon Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Altrincham
Reviewed June 28, 2011

Very nice hotel with friendly staff and manager. Food very good. Upgraded room very small, but clean and tidy. We stayed on a two night all inclusive deal which was very good. Located between two roads, so can be noisy especially at front as quite busy. Large car park. Overall a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Room at rear of hotel. Less noise.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 25, 2011

,we were part of a party on a mystery tour,by national holidays,we had the misfortune to end up staying here,1st point,this hotel has no lifts,and its 2flights of stairs up to reception from the rear carpark,and no members of staff to help some of the senior citizens on the trip with their luggage,the restaurant is in 3sections,however,they wanted the whole coach party to sit in the smallest section of the restaurant,they had not looked at how many tables of 2,3,4,5,etc were needed. As we walked into the restaurant we could here an argument between 4 women off our coach party and the restaurant "manageress" the women then stormed out of the restaurant,very upset,they told us that there were not enough tables for them to sit together,so,the manageress told them to just sit wherever they could find a seat,and,rudely started pointing at seats saying you sit there,you sit there,so the 4 women would have ended up on 4 separate tables,as we walked in we just sat at 1 of the empty tables of 12 that were only a few feet from the section the rest of the coach party, the managerss stormed over and rudely told us that these 12 empty tables were reserved,and,that we must sit with the rest of the coach party,again,she pointed to an empty seat at 1table,and,a space on another,so my wife would be sat at a table with strangers,me on another,. after a heated argument with her,we stood our ground and stayed put,wish we hadnt bothered,the food was terrible,stone cold frozen fish,raw vegatables,and frozen lemon tart for sweet,By the way,we left the restaurant at 8pm,and the 12 reserved tables were still empty...the staff made the whole coach party feel like 2nd class citizens,breakfast was the same performance,Terrible,Terrible,Horrible hotel......

Room Tip: dont bother,try a travelodge,or,ibis hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 2peugeots
gmbowdon, General Manager at Mercure Altrincham Bowdon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2011

I very much regret this client did not enjoy the visit to the Bowdon Hotel.
The booking for dinner was made by the tour leader and tables allocated in line with the number of people within the group which is common practice with most if not all hotels.
I do accept that some guests were accommodated on tables of 6 or 8, which many guests prefer, but do try to accommodate guests individual requests where we can but regret this was not possible at the time but at no point were we suggesting the couple eat at seperate tables. I understand that there was little option other than move another guest to accommodate this clients specific requirement of a table for two in another part of the restaurant.

Reviewed June 21, 2011

Do not eat at the restaurant. The food is absolutely horrible!
You can hear your neighbours' conversations!
Common areas a bit run down.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank whoismikejones
Reviewed June 10, 2011

The bedroom was cramped and became very hot as there is no air conditioning. The sach window was also difficult to keep open.
The beds were very comfortable.
My main gripe was that the deal I booked was "all inclusive" but was presented with a bill at checkout, which was for deserts at dinner and drinks before 7pm. This is not my understanding of all inclusive and the waiters did not think to mention the additional charge.
The reception staff however were very helpful.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room ask the receptionist
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family

I am very sorry that this client formed the opinion that we were not clear about the offer purchased.
Our fully inclusive offer represents extreamly good value and believe the content inclding a 2 course dinner and unlimited House wine, draught beer and soft drinks are made very clear both prior to booking and as part of the confirmation. I can only apologise for any misunderstanding.

Reviewed June 4, 2011

It's a hotel which you can tell is really only surviving because of the lack of competition in Altrincham.

I book through an agency who my employer uses and this causes difficulty when checking in. On the first occasion I visited I was asked for payment however it is on a company account. Luckily the agency had placed a special note on the comfirmation in capital letters warning me that this hotel is known for this practice and if you experience a problem to call them. I eventually got this point across to the receptionist. The next time I visited I went to check in and the receptionist said "You've already checked in" and showed me a slip of paper with my name but someone elses signature. Think someone got a free bed that night. Plenty of faffing around later, putting numerous bits of paper through the printer later, I got to my room key and went off.

Room standard is what I would expect and in terms of decor and facilities they are absolutely fine. Cleaning is average so don't look too close, on both occasions the white towels had make up left on them so I had to use the spare ones from the wardrobe which were clean. Both rooms I've had were quite spacious with big windows. However despite booking a week in advance on both occasions I've been given twin rooms with the beds pushed together on both occasions, which when the beds are different heights, is useless.

Bathrooms have been modernised but I don't think the plumbing has. The showers are an absolute joke. I read the reviews about the showers on here before I visited and thought "surely they can't be that bad...these reviewers must be very fussy!" however they are all correct. You get nothing more than a trickle. Luckily I'm a man with a short hair cut so it "only" took 15 minutes to get my hair soaked through, a lady with long hair simply wouldn't be able to wash it in the shower. Moved rooms once but pointless really as seems the same whatever room. Bathroom was nice other than that, even had a full size window which is unusual for a hotel room.

The thing that will hit you at this hotel is the HEAT. Again I thought reviewers were being very fussy saying it's hot here, but boy it really is. The radiators are turned off but that's pointless when they''ve got a 4 inch thick hot water pipe running round 3 walls in the room. I had to open the window completely and take off the safety catch in the bathroom window just to get a draught through the room. At night had to sleep I slept with no sheets, windows wide open but still I was roasting.

Service in the restaurant is very average as is the food. For a steak it was £22 which was served with chips, tomato and onion rings. Steak was cooked nicely but the rest of the meal was bland. Very much like a pub meal you could get for £8. Service was poor and slow, they had 3 tables in and 3 waitresses yet it took about 10 minutes to simply be acknowledged and a drink order taken. No locals in the restaurant despite it being "award winning", very much business trip visits only. Breakfast service very similar, service seems to be more about making sure you've paid rather than actually serving you. Reasonable selection of breakfast available.

Plus side to this hotel is that it has a small health club attached which can be used for free when staying there which is a nice touch at the price point it is.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank MalcolmTucker
Reviewed May 23, 2011

We stayed here at it was close to Lymm, which was where we needed to be during the day.
We got a 3 for 2 nights room deal along with free breakfast.
Good deal, but room was small, with another room which looked into our if the curtains were open. However for what we paid and what we got, it was good enough.
Breakfast was traditional small hotel style, nice English breakfast, freshly replenished, the friendliest hotel staff was found here.
Only bad point was a silly thing, the receptionist asked if we wanted a morning newspaper, I said yes, not knowing it cost 50p and was not free. However we only received one newspaper for or 3 day stay. Glad to have only paid 50 for a newspaper I never really wanted.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 19, 2011

I stayed at the hotel for 2 nights and found the hotel decor extremely pleasant, staff welcoming, friendly and helpful.
I had a lovely CLEAN room and, on the one occasion I used the hotel restaurant, I really enjoyed the food.
Much recommended

Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Altrincham
Best Western Manchester Altrincham Cresta Court Hotel
Mercure Wigan Oak Hotel
Travelodge Altrincham Central
Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane North
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane South

Been to Mercure Altrincham Bowdon Hotel? Share your experiences!