“Good food and friendly service”
Review of The Victoria - CLOSED

The Victoria
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Visited on a Saturday night and the restaurant had a good ambience but still space to accommodate us without a booking. The special salt cod fish cakes for starter were excellent, as were the steak and lamb mains. I liked the fact that there was a list of where produce was sourced from in the menu and the staff were very friendly and knowledgeable. A good selection of beers and ciders too. Only slight negative is that I thought it was slightly pricier compared to other "gastropub" food I have eaten elsewhere.

2  Thank icedgems

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Saturday dinner with friends, booked 2 days in advance. Arrived at 7pm even though we booked for half 7 but were shown to our table, next to the window. The interior is typical pub but on the classy side.
The service was very good, attentive but not intrusive and always polite with a smile. We all had different starters and mains and they were all bob on: I had the lamb kidney curry, very well cooked and seasons, other starters were moules marinieres, scotch egg with spiced chickpeas, and the goat cheese and sweet red onion tart. All spot on, everyone happy. Mains: I had the chicken in red wine (Cock au vin english style) and again very well cooked and seasoned; one small criticism on the potatoes, maybe not the best variety used for this dis and they were a bit hard. Maybe they're supposed to be but I didn't think it was working as good as it could have. Other mains were the blackstick blue and filo pastry, the whole steamed sea bass (fish of the day) and the steak and kidney pudding. All plates were cleared clean.
The wine list is good and they have Old Speckled Hen and Guiness as well as your lagers.

Overall a good experience, nothing too challenging but classics well made and a welcoming atmosphere. In this day and age I wouldn't mind seeing a greater beer offering.

3  Thank LMdNiC
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Recently visited The Victoria having read many good reviews and have to say we thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Charming little place. From the moment we walked in we were impressed by the friendly level of service (attentive without being overbearing) the perfect balance in my opinion. Food was fantastic, I had the poached haddock with bubble and squeak in a cockle and ham hock sauce - delicious. Home made chips were to die for! Would happily recommend to my friends. Already planning a return visit.

2  Thank WindsorHouseHotel
Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

After reading a number of very good reviews we went to The Victoria for Sunday Lunch. It was very quiet and we were seated immediately. The initial greeting from the waiting staff was very friendly and efficient. We both ordered starters and main courses and our starters arrived swiftly and were quite tasty. Unfortunately it went down hill. Despite being one of only three tables our main courses took almost an hour to arrive. As it was so quiet the atmosphere was a little odd and the mismatched tearoom style music only added to the strange atmosphere. When our mains finally arrived they were a real let down. Both meals had been layered with a tomato based sauce despite vein described as a roast dinner on the menu and the vegetables were roughly chopped into a little bowl. We had been told that despite its odd green exterior this was one of the best restaurants in Altrincham. That couldn't be further from the truth in my experience.

2  Thank LRYellow
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We popped in for Sunday lunch to The Victoria again and again it was fantastic afternoon - excellent service and food much better than at Francs.
Food comes in more than reasonable portions and is very tasty. Sunday offer of set menu for two courses for £16.95 is great and you are getting not only good choice from the menu for this but also can be assured of the quality.
Although I am not fan of bread and butter pudding the chocolate and pear version was a delight!

We will be back for more.

3  Thank Lila_UK