“Greatworking farm B&B, allows pets, very close tatton park”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Birtles Farm

Birtles Farm
Ranked #3 of 7 Altrincham B&B and Inns
England
“Greatworking farm B&B, allows pets, very close tatton park”
Reviewed December 16, 2010

This is a great little B&B for short stays. The rooms are clean but small. We had the en suit room which was great but the place is definitely farm housey. Our room door had a massive gap in it out into the hall way and you couold hear everything going on, or more to the point they would be able to hear everything going on in the room!! But other than that they are very friendly, breakfast is brilliant, there is a lovely little loungge to relax in. There is TV in the rooms and free WIFI.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lucinda_lay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Chalfont St Peter, UK
Reviewed April 16, 2010

I must admit I am in two minds writing this review. On the one hand I would like to keep this gem to myself, but on the other, Birtles Farm deserves all the praise (and custom) it gets. I have stayed here whenever in the area for the last few years, and without fail the welcome from Sharon and her family has been the greatest of the many pleasures of the visit.

Peace and quiet, lovely views over the fields, a wonderful old farm house on a working farm, beautifully furnished rooms with comfortable beds, an excellent breakfast, I could go on...

A satnav isn't a prerequisite for finding the farm, but it certainly helps; the first time I went I did not own one and it took a lot of finding. But for all that it is well located, close to Tatton Park, within striking distance of the M6, M56 and Manchester, and only 7 or 8 miles from Manchester Airport on back roads.

On my last trip north, there was no suitable room at Birtles Farm and I had to go elsewhere; though the other place was clean and friendly enough, it did not begin to compare and I spent the whole time regretting not being able to book sooner.

If I had to find fault, I suppose the small single room is very small and very single (the other rooms I have stayed in are generous in size), the long farm track will certainly test your car's supension (and possibly your driving skills if it's icy), and there isn't a swimming pool, beauty salon or golf course. I hope those remarks put enough people off to make it possible for me to get a room there in the future when I need one!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Bruxelles
Reviewed March 21, 2010

We were visiting our daughter at Altrincham. She is taking part of an exchange program between Brussels and Manchester universities. We enjoyed a very pleasant stay. Location was convenient to meet our daughter at her accomodation in Altrincham. It was also very easy to take the MetroLink to visit Manchester. Breakfast was like we were expected : the real traditional one. Sleeping rooms are well decorated. A living room is even reserved for guests. Certainly, a place to advise.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank PXJ
London
Reviewed January 25, 2010

We spent two nights at Birtles Farm over a weekend while we made various visits in south Manchester/Cheshire. We found the family to be very welcoming and pleasant, the rooms were very comfortable and equipped with everything we might need (freeview TV, wireless internet, kettle etc.). Breakfast was generous and delicious (always important for us!). We would definitely book again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Batteline
Northern Ireland
Reviewed November 2, 2009

I was a little worried about choosing Birtles B&B as I could find no reviews but it was close to the area where we needed to be, allowed pets and it looked so much better than the hotels we were looking at right in Manchester. We arrived late at night due to us missing our ferry, and to be honest, if we hadn't had our sat nav would probably be looking for it yet! It turned out to be up a private lane across a couple of cattle grids and across the farm yard. The owner, Sharon was there to meet us and brought a very welcome pot of tea to our room, We enjoyed our stay so much that we pulled the rest of our party out of their spartan city hotels to join us on the second night. The rooms are beautifully appointed & cosy, the beds comfortable and the cooked breakfast with the farm's own free range eggs in the morning very welcome! Our dog was welcome too and it was easy for me to walk her along the farm lane in the moonlight, so close to Manchester but so peaceful. I cannot recommend Birtles highly enough, the personal touch makes all the difference and the family are genuinely helpful and friendly. I would loved to have been able to stay longer..

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank weewhitesheep
Also consider these accommodations in or near Altrincham
BEST WESTERN Manchester Altrincham Cresta Court Hotel
Etrop Grange
Etrop Grange
#67 of 116 in Manchester
Holiday Inn Express Manchester Airport
Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport
Radisson Blu Hotel, Manchester Airport
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane North

Been to Birtles Farm? Share your experiences!