“Couldn't be better!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 7 Altrincham B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Couldn't be better!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

I stayed at Birtles Farm whilst inbetween homes from September to November 2012; it was wonderful. Sharon makes every effort to make her guests feel comfortable and at home and she could not have been more flexible.
The rooms are very boutique and the beds are absolutely devine, I have never slept in a more comfortable bed to be honest. The breakfast is lovely and I met a number of nice people in the breakfast room; my partner was in seventh heaven with the full English!
Being on a farm was so therapeutic but it is the family that make the place so special (Sharon, Dave and Abbi) but they were never too much so I always felt I had my privacy and space.
I don't think you could really find anything better and the rates are so good.
Thank you for everything Sharon.

Room Tip: You'll need to specify if you want ensuite
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Paul P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Cabris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

I stayed at Birtles Farm BnB a number of weeks ago, after a tough working week and having dropped my wife off at the airport to fly back to where we live I wanted to check in somewhere homely and friendly. During the week previous I had stayed in 4* and 5* hotels they were pleasant enough but none of them were as gratifying as my lovely stay at Birtles farm.

Great people, lovely surroundings, killer breakfast.

Oh and to round it all off I left something very important to me there and that was brought out to me as I was in a rush. Lovely lovely people. As a seasoned traveller I can't recommend Birtles enough!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank ScottJDavies
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

My friend and I stayed at Birtles Farm recently. It took a bit of finding as it's down a very long lane and the post code in the sat nav took us elsewhere - watch out for this. There are horses and farm animals and the whole setting is lovely.

We reserved a twin room, but when we arrived Sharon showed us to a double room. When I pointed out that I had reserved a twin she offered a single upstairs for my friend. In any event that was fine and so we went to bed. In the morning we arrived down at 9:05am to find Sharon very cranky to put it mildly! She complained in a very sharp tone that breakfast was until 9am and that she couldn't do a cooked breakfast as she had to go out! I'll admit that we were 5 minutes late but Sharon's reaction was uncalled for. Both of us were shocked as were the other guests already seated at the table. My friend got upset by this and decided to skip breakfast completely. I did manage to get a cooked breakfast in the end thanks to her very kind husband who was very friendly to us.

Despite the small bad experience at breakfast I will say that overall it's a nice and comfortable place to stay. However, I'm afraid Sharon could do with brushing up on people skills. It would be a shame to let this ruin an otherwise good B&B.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Luas1970
Surrey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012

Stayed here for one night while travelling down from the North. I had my dog who was very welcome in the bedroom which was a double and lovely. Didn't have an en suite which was a little awkward as I didn't fancy running into anyone in the corridor but didn't ruin the stay. Floorboards a little creaky but very quirky farmhouse with nice garden for guests. Very well priced including excellent breakfast.
You're not sure if you've pulled up to to the right place when you get there as there is a long which takes you into the farm. I also had to shout a bit when I arrived to get someone's attention but other than that, they were great hosts.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank thehotelcritics
Hertford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2012

Lovely welcome, lovely breakfast, excellent room and beautiful surroundings. Like other reviewers I am reluctant to let this little secret out! I would say though, if you drive a low slung sporty type car, don't be tempted to come out of first driving up the farm track. Certainty worth the trip though.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Angela68_10
Oxford UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2011

We stayed here for a family party in Altrincham. A lovely old Cheshire farmhouse on a working farm, up a long track but well signed off the main road. V stylish modern bedroom with good bathroom, and breakfast was also excellent. The family are v friendly and accomodating - and it is very good value - Am a bit reluctant to review it well as it may get too booked up and we will not get in again!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jamesfj
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2011

What a lovely place to stay! I chose this B&B because of the proximity to the Manchester airport - far enough not to hear the airplanes but a quick drive for an early flight. Easy to find. Easy car parking. But Birtles is much more than an "airport B&B". The place was wonderful I wish I could stay longer. The next time I am in the UK I plan to stay longer. The bed was lovely. Big fluffy duvet, nice pillows, beautiful bed cover, great mattress. The room had a full bathroom. I loved watching the morning chores with the horse. Really enjoyed the view out the window on to a beautiful pasture and the sun raising in the sky. Sharon was very kind and helpful with a made to order breakfast. And the drive out in the morning was spectacular with lovely dew filled grounds and many pheasants.

Room Tip: I believe I was in room 2 which overlooked the front of the house, garden the stables and the raisin...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ranleigh
Also consider these accommodations in or near Altrincham
Etrop Grange
Holiday Inn Express Manchester Airport
Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport
The Normanhurst Hotel and Restaurant
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane North

Been to Birtles Farm? Share your experiences!