“Reliable”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Have eaten at Amba for years, since it morphed out of the Hale Wine Bar and have always had good service, good food and a reliable bill. The decor, ambience and flexibility of the dining options are suitable for virtually every occasion although it isn't personally, where I would choose to go for a very special occasion. Whether its a coffee, a cocktail, a snack or a full multi-course meal they can all be had at Amba. Its a great local resource and is always my preferred choice for a pleasant lunch or dinner option in Hale.

There are newer reviews for Amba

Reviewed October 18, 2013

A group of us ate here having had to leave the American Bar across the road which was over-run by badly behaved parents allowing their children to take over the place! The portions were so small. The grilled salmon salad was thumb size at best which most probably accounts for us being the only diners in the restaurant. My burger was OK, lacked seasoning but the fried onion rings and chips were dripping in oil - clearly the chip fryer was not hot enough. A sad reflection of a chef who assumes this to be adequate.

1  Thank EdiWorcester
Reviewed October 10, 2013

A varied and interesting menu. Lovely friendly staff who are always willing to please. I recommend the fish and chips!

Reviewed October 8, 2013

The food, especially the set menu was a good choice and reasonably priced. The quality of the food was very good and extremely tasty, I had potted beef followed by pheseant, rice pudding and coffee. The rice pudding was very good and tasted like the old fashioned rice pudding I remember. One small glitch was I asked for gluten free food and the waiter thought I asked for free food. I realised his mistake when he brought me a starter with wheat bread. The resturant were extremely apologetic when I pointed this out and replaced the starter. This did not detract from the overall enjoyment of the eating experience

Reviewed October 6, 2013

My husband ordered steak burger and was asked how he wanted it cooked, he replied medium to well definitely no pink.
Main courses arrived, yes it was pink. The staff took it away to cook another one. I ate my main course as slowly as I could, told in passing that his would arrive 'in a moment'. I finished my meal, my husband's arrived more than 5 mins after I had finished. As you can imagine we were fed up by this point. The staff are friendly but didn't really care much. We still had a £50+ bill as we had starters, drinks and my meal to pay for (they did deduct cost of burger).
Surely eating your main course together is expected & if a mistake is made they should cook both meals again. We won't bother going again, far better service in many other local restaurants.

1  Thank ManchesterSue