“Another excellent meal!”

The House Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 171 Restaurants in Altrincham
Cuisines: British, European
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Drinks, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Tucked away in the idyllic setting of Altrincham’s Goose Green, The House has built its reputation on providing excellent food in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. Having maintained its authentic charm over the years, this hidden gem has become a popular haunt amongst locals.Since the restaurant first opened its doors in 2005, The House has continued to grow as a venue. It launched ‘The House Wine Bar’ next door in 2007, which introduced live music and entertainment to the green and most recently in December 2011, The House celebrated the opening of its new premises at ‘No. 13’, which has been completely remodelled into a spacious new dining area and state of the art kitchen.
“Another excellent meal!”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We are regular 'eaters out' and this restaurant never fails to please. I ate here a couple of evenings ago with friends and had the scallop starter which was delicious followed by a truly excellent fillet steak. I passed on the dessert but our friends indulged and chose the mango and passion fruit cheesecake and the caramel and pecan tart which they said were excellent. The service was attentive and the new restaurant manager, charming. Considering the amount of wine we consumed the bill was, as always, very reasonable. Yet again another 5 star experience.

3 Thank AmeliaHale

“Nice, fairly well priced and well cooked food”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We had a family get together here recently and had a lovely time.
Most of us had pasta, which was well cooked, but I could have done with a larger portion. One person had a steak which they said was lovely.
We all indulged in dessert and again we all said they were "nice". There wasn't anything amazing but for a nice relaxed night out I'd highly recommend.
The deli menu looked like great value for money if you are there at the right time of day...talking of time of day...the menu was a little confused. Virtually every page in the menu was for a different time or day. It would be much better to have different menus to give guests instead of confusing them???
Service was ok, but again it wasn't amazing.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“I think I expected too much......”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

This place had been recommended to me so many times that finally I had to give it a go, it was nice, I was told it was Michelin Star quality, its not, I think if I hadn't expected so much I would have probably enjoyed it more.

We were at a table next to the bathroom that has limited room, they were out of stock on the wine I asked for, I selected another bottle which arrived at the table in a wine cooler. I was asked 14 times by various staff if everything was ok, whilst I was eating yet not one poured the wine, they were really just looking to see if we had finished eating.

All in all, food was good, service was ok and experience was reasonable.

1 Thank Nicola W
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“Silenced by the scallops but not by the lamb”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We managed to get squeezed in at eight-thirty. Barring a minor contretemps with the wine waiter, the staff were efficient, helpful, polite and friendly.

The Emotivo rosé Prosecco, which accompanied well all three of our courses, was a find and worth a trip just to quaff a glass!

My thanks especially to the chef who produced absolutely mouth-watering and scrumptious dishes that worked around my (true) food allergy. He prepared the most perfect scallops: neither soggily undercooked nor overcooked to a rubbery consistency; they just hit the orgasmic "oh" mark. Silenced by the scallops but not by the lamb. The lamb-meat, without being the lightest bit bloody (not that I should have minded) was juicy, tasty and one's knife just slid through the flesh without the slightest effort. We shared the lightest of light Eton-Mess for dessert.

At around £75 a wonderful repast and well worth every penny. We shall return soon. I cannot recommend this bistro enough. %D

1 Thank Colin-Roy H
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Incredible food and brilliant value, the only thing that could improve is the service”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I've visited The House twice now, for the '6 -9 deli menu'. I can't believe how incredibly good value it is!! 3 courses for £10.90!! Something you very rarely see. I wasn't sure whether to expect much of the food at such a cheap price, but I was wrong, the food is absolutely beautiful.

It's really well presented - interesting and well thought through dishes. The portion sizes are perfect for me, as they are just the right size to be able to complete all 3 courses (I usually have to give dessert a miss when I go out because the starter and mains are too big or rich). There was plenty of choice on the 'deli menu' to have us umming an aahing about what to order for quite some time. Each of the 12 different dishes we've tasted now have been fantastic, and worthy of much higher recognition- I'm pretty sure the chef could be at a quite prestigious restaurant with that level of skill (but DON'T LEAVE please!) The desserts are clearly homemade - I recommend the bannoffee pie- it's heavenly.

The only thing that is lacking a bit is the service - the staff are polite, but both times we've visited, the wait to get ordered and served, and in particular the wait to get the bill, has been really slow! And not just because they're busy - it was a bit like being invisible where you see them looking around the tables to see who needs serving then they seem to not notice you and walk off! It was quite hard to get their attention. And both times they cleared our plates for our mains, they didn't mention the bill or desserts, or ask if we wanted anything else, so we were left wondering what to do next, and trying to get their attention to ask about the dessert menu, which took some time. None of this seemed intentional, the staff do seem to mean well, and are polite, but just lack a bit of initiative at times!

The food and value is so brilliant that regardless of the service, I will keep on going back. I feel very lucky to know somewhere where you can eat fancy food for such a bargain price. I usually miss 'early bird' restaurant deals due to work hours, so it's really exciting that this one goes on til 9pm. It strikes me as a great place to impress a date without breaking the bank, or somewhere to have a special meal with family and friends. If you're in no rush, and love beautiful food, then you should definitely check this place out!

• Visited July 2013