“Silenced by the scallops but not by the lamb” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The House Restaurant

The House Restaurant
Ranked #14 of 170 Restaurants in Altrincham
Cuisines: British, European
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Drinks, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Tucked away in the idyllic setting of Altrincham’s Goose Green, The House has built its reputation on providing excellent food in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. Having maintained its authentic charm over the years, this hidden gem has become a popular haunt amongst locals.Since the restaurant first opened its doors in 2005, The House has continued to grow as a venue. It launched ‘The House Wine Bar’ next door in 2007, which introduced live music and entertainment to the green and most recently in December 2011, The House celebrated the opening of its new premises at ‘No. 13’, which has been completely remodelled into a spacious new dining area and state of the art kitchen.
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“Silenced by the scallops but not by the lamb”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

We managed to get squeezed in at eight-thirty. Barring a minor contretemps with the wine waiter, the staff were efficient, helpful, polite and friendly.

The Emotivo rosé Prosecco, which accompanied well all three of our courses, was a find and worth a trip just to quaff a glass!

My thanks especially to the chef who produced absolutely mouth-watering and scrumptious dishes that worked around my (true) food allergy. He prepared the most perfect scallops: neither soggily undercooked nor overcooked to a rubbery consistency; they just hit the orgasmic "oh" mark. Silenced by the scallops but not by the lamb. The lamb-meat, without being the lightest bit bloody (not that I should have minded) was juicy, tasty and one's knife just slid through the flesh without the slightest effort. We shared the lightest of light Eton-Mess for dessert.

At around £75 a wonderful repast and well worth every penny. We shall return soon. I cannot recommend this bistro enough. %D

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Colin-Roy H

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Incredible food and brilliant value, the only thing that could improve is the service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

I've visited The House twice now, for the '6 -9 deli menu'. I can't believe how incredibly good value it is!! 3 courses for £10.90!! Something you very rarely see. I wasn't sure whether to expect much of the food at such a cheap price, but I was wrong, the food is absolutely beautiful.

It's really well presented - interesting and well thought through dishes. The portion sizes are perfect for me, as they are just the right size to be able to complete all 3 courses (I usually have to give dessert a miss when I go out because the starter and mains are too big or rich). There was plenty of choice on the 'deli menu' to have us umming an aahing about what to order for quite some time. Each of the 12 different dishes we've tasted now have been fantastic, and worthy of much higher recognition- I'm pretty sure the chef could be at a quite prestigious restaurant with that level of skill (but DON'T LEAVE please!) The desserts are clearly homemade - I recommend the bannoffee pie- it's heavenly.

The only thing that is lacking a bit is the service - the staff are polite, but both times we've visited, the wait to get ordered and served, and in particular the wait to get the bill, has been really slow! And not just because they're busy - it was a bit like being invisible where you see them looking around the tables to see who needs serving then they seem to not notice you and walk off! It was quite hard to get their attention. And both times they cleared our plates for our mains, they didn't mention the bill or desserts, or ask if we wanted anything else, so we were left wondering what to do next, and trying to get their attention to ask about the dessert menu, which took some time. None of this seemed intentional, the staff do seem to mean well, and are polite, but just lack a bit of initiative at times!

The food and value is so brilliant that regardless of the service, I will keep on going back. I feel very lucky to know somewhere where you can eat fancy food for such a bargain price. I usually miss 'early bird' restaurant deals due to work hours, so it's really exciting that this one goes on til 9pm. It strikes me as a great place to impress a date without breaking the bank, or somewhere to have a special meal with family and friends. If you're in no rush, and love beautiful food, then you should definitely check this place out!

• Visited July 2013
3 Thank Pelican_Beak
Cheshire
“Great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

Came here for lunch today, Saturday, the food and service was great. I had the duck salad which was amazing and my friend has the goats cheese salad and that was equally as nice. We were full, but made room for dessert! We both chose the raspberry and hazelnut meringue and we weren't disappointed. We will return!

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank Linda D
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, service and value for money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Visited The House with friends for a meal on a Saturday evening. The food was excellent, we ordered from the early bird menu and the fillet steak was delicious, cooked exactly as I had requested it. Service was just as good, with friendly, informed and efficient waiting staff. Top tip: save room or dessert! The homemade cheesecake is to die for... Would highly recommend this place for couples or groups and will definitely go back next time we're in the area. Full marks.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank SuzyLizzy
Manchester, United Kingdom
“£7.15 for coffee and a piece of cake. What a rip off!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

It was a very nice coffee (a small americano, nothing special), and a very nice piece of carrot cake (average size). I thought they'd made a mistake when I was presented with the bill. Apparently a slice of cake is just under £5. I don't mind paying a bit over the odds, but being ripped off leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

• Visited August 2013