“Hoped for better”

Ranked #94 of 177 Restaurants in Altrincham
Wrexham, United Kingdom
“Hoped for better”
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Stayed just the one midweek night and that was enough.
Reception staff were great and provided good service when checking in but they can't make up for a very tired hotel.
Better choices in Altrincham - try the Premier Inn a short distance away.

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank ShaunD13

Belfast, United Kingdom
“food reasonable quality”
Reviewed April 5, 2012

fairly good menu. something for everyone. Pizza was lovely. TV in restaurant which I hate but thankfully it wasnt switched on. Staff a bit thin on ground but as we were in no hurry it didnt matter to us, but some diners were a little tetchy.

Visited March 2012
“Small rooms but ok for price”
Reviewed March 24, 2012

I stayed here this week on business for a couple of nights. The rooms are small and old but are clean. The one thing that really annoyed me about this hotel was when it came to breakfast. I had a room only rate, but I went down for breakfast. They tried to charge it to my room but it wasn't pre authorised so they couldn't add it. I said that I'd pay for it on checkout like I do in every other hotel I've ever stayed in and I hadcto pay for parking anyway. The next morning I was asked if I had sorted out paying for breakfast, I said no and repeated again that I'd pay for it on checkout like I'd said yesterday morning. To annoy me further as I walked away I heard this member of staff shouting across the breakfast room in full earshot of everyone about how I hadnt pre-authorised my card and all that to pay for breakfast. I thought this was quite ignorant. But for all their talk they hadn't added the breakfasts to my room when it came to checkout. Maybe their energy spent annoying me could be better spent walking 50ft to reception to add this to my bill.

“Nothing good to say”
Reviewed December 14, 2011

Stayed for 4 nights, tried food on 2nd night and it was awful. How do you get jacket potato with cheese so wrong?
Service was poor. No pride in their work or organisation.
Room cold, noisy and very uncomfortable. Not slept at all.
Positives - location and brilliant indian restaurant in town

Durham, United Kingdom
“let down”
Reviewed December 11, 2011

We get two nights without kids a year on our own. This gives the name 'Great Western' a bad name. Went into our room which was clean but simple and our first thought was 'it's freezing' . We could not find a thermostat so my wife rang reception and was told 'the heating comes on at '6'. However, it did come on 10 minutes later, perhaps as we had called? Have a bath we thought, the temperature of the water was adequate but not hot enough for a long soak. The shower head allowed minimum water through so we did not enjoy that experience either. The duvet provided was a low 'tog' so the night was a little restless; there were no extra blankets in the room.
On returning after a night out, the entrance to reception was littered with cigarette butts. Evidently, the hotel's evening event had it's smokers at the main door leaving their debris for all to 'enjoy'.
The hotel is in a great location and with a little TLC and with the polite and friendly staff it has, it needs to endeavour to improve for £75 a night per room without breakfast.
A new hotel is being built in the vicinity soon and we have always been pleased with Best Westerns, but more competition may mean a few necessary improvements for its customers.

1 Thank DanandAngie