Tripadvisor

“Sunday Roast Belter”
Review of The Con Club

The Con Club
Ranked #28 of 241 Restaurants in Altrincham
Description: The Con Club is an independent restaurant, bar and microbrewery on the site of the former Altrincham Working Men's Conservative club. Dishes include freshly prepared sushi, ceviche and oysters, top quality cuts of meat cooked to order on a charcoal grill, as well as a daily brunch menu.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Started off with Alty market for a quick drink and then we headed over to the Con Club. Didn’t really expect it to busy, you know mid jan!
Was pleasantly surprised it was packed and the atmosphere was buzzing.
Our waitress was brilliant, she put up the with 7 of us, loud and boisterous. She kept the drinks flowing and all with a smile.
The food was just as good as the service. I had the Sunday roast with chicken and it arrived hot and looking sumptuous on the plate. We asked for extra gravy and big jug arrived of hot thick gravy. Others ordered steak and cooked to perfection.
Brilliant place and never fails!

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (384)

Reviewed January 12, 2020 via mobile

Eight of us booked for dinner in this airy urban decor style restaurant.
Service was attentive(however it wasn’t busy so I’d expect that.
Maybe a little overpriced but the reason for the review is to urge you to TRY THE SUSHI ITS FAB

Reviewed January 8, 2020

Good wine bar with good atmosphere and great outdoor space to relax. The market area of Altrincham is very lively and worth a visit

Reviewed January 6, 2020

We regularly drink here, fab location in Altrincham, lovely staff, clean and great gin selection although very expensive about £10 a double gin. Always have a lovely evening here with outdoor seating which is great in summer but fab in winter with heaters.

We always said we wanted to eat here so decided to during the week running up to Christmas. Th venue has a great atmosphere and the interior is just beautiful. There was several Xmas parties going in and was full for Friday night but the service was prompt and staff were friendly and attentive.

Although the portions are small for the price, the food was delicious and very well presented. We had pork belly and feta filo pasty. We were recommended the profiterole sharer. This was amazing and would highly recommend. Such a lovely experience and would definitely eat here again when out in Altrincham.

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed January 6, 2020

Love it for drinks but would never return to eat here.

I came the first time and food was ok but terrible service- put it down to a busy Sunday eve.
I returned for lunch one Saturday and had the sushi which was nice but again service was average.
My friend wanted to go for breakfast so I reluctantly agreed and unfortunately again, the service was awful and the food average and over priced.
The above was all a year or so ago so when my sister suggested it for her birthday I agreed hoping it had improved.
This was my worst visit yet.
It was a Thursday evening and very quiet. There was numerous mistakes throughout. Mainly with food but drinks order was also wrong twice and we had empty water glasses on table until hour and an half until meal.
One starter (chicken broth) was lacking a main ingredient and they only apologised once we’d pointed it out - rather then tell us they’d ran out and offer different dish. My cod was totally raw in the middle and had to be sent back to be cooked again, the potatoes with it were dry and tough too. Strange as I actually got this after everyone else has had their main for five mins so you’d expect it to be cooked by then.
I expected these two dishes to be taken off the bill to be honest and was shocked they were still on there, plus £25 tip already added despite the awful service. The waiter actually slow clapped my husband at one point saying we’ve found the mystery diner everyone which is highly rude and just emphasising there was numerous mistakes.
We aren’t a family to complain but I felt we’d paid an awful lot for bad service and food and had I not been in a family group I would have refused to pay for the two problem courses but didn’t want to cause a fuss! Just wanted to warn people!