“Britannia Hotel”

Britannia Ashley Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Altrincham
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Stayed at the hotel on Saturday 22nd June for 1 night with my mother and daughter. After reading poor reviews reviews on Tripadvisor I must admit that that I felt something approaching trepadation. In the end I had nothing to worry about. I had booked a "triple" room but the reality was that it was a double with a put up bed. It was a bit cramped but otherwise fine. The room was clean and comfortable and was actually excellent value for money. I believe that the room had been recently renovated. The location is excellent. The only down side to the hotel is parking - you have to use a public car park. We managed to find a space and it was very cheap (10p for the 1st hour) and so we were parked no more than 30 yards from the hotel. The staff were very curteous and breakfast was good as well. Overall we were all very satisfied with the hotel and would gladly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Britannia Ashley Hotel

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Good thing the others on the coach trip were great! The guests cleared tables, washed plates when they ran out. Guests filled the dummy waiter with empty food trays and sent them to the kitchen. Rooms were clean but windows were jammed and hardly opened. The rooms were boiling hot. Why were the lifts being stripped of paint at this time of the year leaving scraped paint everywhere and left all over the carpet near the lifts. Hard not to walk on scraped paint which damaged a pair of shoes.
Eventful break!

Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend stayed in this hotel from the 24th to the 27th of May and from reading previous reviews we were expecting it to be a poor hotel but we were pleasantly surprised! It was comfortable, a decent sized room for 2 people, clean and there was a trainstation in close proximity going to Manchester piccadilly which was good as we needed the train for the days we stayed. The only downside however was that our double bed just 2 single beds pushed together, it was quite an old hotel and even though there was a trainstation 2 minutes away it was still quite a distance from Manchester and Manchester airport so it shouldnt really be classed as a hotel near the airport as it wasnt really that close. But other than that id definately stay here again because it offered everything we needed for a couple of days out and a short stay before i flew back to Cyprus.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

I was booked into this hotel through work, and after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor I was not looking forward to the experience. However, I have to say I was pleasantly relieved. OK - it's not luxurious, but it doesn't claim to be. What you get is what you need - my room was comfortable, had the essential furnishings, tea and coffee making facilities, decent bathroom and toiletries. My bed was firm but comfy and I slept well. Breakfast buffet was a little "tired" but did the job yesterday. I would say that this hotel offered good value for money and is in a great location on a fantastic High Street. Save your money on the accommodation and spend it on a lovely meal instead.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I have never been in a worse hotel in my life, this must hold the worst hotel in the world title, heating on full blast, windows shut and beds that have more springs out of place than a spring factory, the décor is even worse the 1800 must have been a good decade for this place and i haven’t seen a TV like that since i was a kid, bar closed when we got there and no food available, dust all over the place and they didn’t even know we had a taxi booked the next morning that we had paid for, I cannot give one positive about this place, all I wanted was somewhere to put my head down before a flight with the Mrs., im glad we were off to somewhere nice in the morning or I would have gone within the first 5 seconds of walking into the place

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank griffiths123
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Stayed one night. Had to wait in reception as receptionist also serving in bar. Room dated and small. Very hot and windows screwed shut. Very shabby. Breakfast limited with Luke warm tea and coffee left on alternate tables in flasks. Did not pay a fortune for room but more than I would have done At other hotels in the area including the chains. Location saved it but would not stay again.

1  Thank Pamela M
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Tired of staying in pretentious 4 or 5* no atmosphere hotels ? Well the Ashley is certainly a hoot !
We stayed for 1 night in Nov 12 and at first glance thought Oh dear but we knew it was a budget price so what the hell, the rooms were basic yet clean, but what a laugh we had in the bar ( great prices as well !)
The place was buzzing, full of contractors all having a laugh, never drank so much beer before an early morning flight, if you fancy a pub atmosphere & basic burger & chips etc the Ashley is for you ! ( And we got our food at the contractors price )

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Altrincham
Best Western Manchester Altrincham Cresta Court Hotel
Mercure Altrincham Bowdon Hotel
Travelodge Altrincham Central
Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane South
The Airport Inn Manchester

Been to Britannia Ashley Hotel? Share your experiences!