See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I was booked into this hotel through work, and after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor I was not looking forward to the experience. However, I have to say I was pleasantly relieved. OK - it's not luxurious, but it doesn't claim to be. What you get is what you need - my room was comfortable, had the essential furnishings, tea and coffee making facilities, decent bathroom and toiletries. My bed was firm but comfy and I slept well. Breakfast buffet was a little "tired" but did the job yesterday. I would say that this hotel offered good value for money and is in a great location on a fantastic High Street. Save your money on the accommodation and spend it on a lovely meal instead.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I have never been in a worse hotel in my life, this must hold the worst hotel in the world title, heating on full blast, windows shut and beds that have more springs out of place than a spring factory, the décor is even worse the 1800 must have been a good decade for this place and i haven’t seen a TV like that since i was a kid, bar closed when we got there and no food available, dust all over the place and they didn’t even know we had a taxi booked the next morning that we had paid for, I cannot give one positive about this place, all I wanted was somewhere to put my head down before a flight with the Mrs., im glad we were off to somewhere nice in the morning or I would have gone within the first 5 seconds of walking into the place

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank griffiths123
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Stayed one night. Had to wait in reception as receptionist also serving in bar. Room dated and small. Very hot and windows screwed shut. Very shabby. Breakfast limited with Luke warm tea and coffee left on alternate tables in flasks. Did not pay a fortune for room but more than I would have done At other hotels in the area including the chains. Location saved it but would not stay again.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Pamela M
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Tired of staying in pretentious 4 or 5* no atmosphere hotels ? Well the Ashley is certainly a hoot !
We stayed for 1 night in Nov 12 and at first glance thought Oh dear but we knew it was a budget price so what the hell, the rooms were basic yet clean, but what a laugh we had in the bar ( great prices as well !)
The place was buzzing, full of contractors all having a laugh, never drank so much beer before an early morning flight, if you fancy a pub atmosphere & basic burger & chips etc the Ashley is for you ! ( And we got our food at the contractors price )

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 8, 2013

As a contractor working all over the country it is sometimes difficult to find a comfortable room for a reasonable price. The britannia Ashley does both. I have been staying at the hotel Monday to Friday for about 18 months now and it suits my needs perfectly. A decent sized clean, comfortable room and very pleasant and welcoming staff. I have read reviews about dirty rooms and uncomfortable beds and I must conclude that they have been staying at a different hotel as over the past months I have been in quite a few of them and have not found any as reported. The beds are some of the most comfortable I have slept in and the power showers are brilliant. Just watch that they don't take the skin off your back! Yes the rooms are a bit dated and the TV's are antique's ( I take my own with me ) and the windows need a bit of renovation, but if you are expecting 5 star luxury for 3 star prices then you are living on the wrong planet.
The hotel is situated in Hale town centre but there is no problem with noise. If you use the car park at the back of the hotel it is very cheap. £3 for all day parking. Free after 6pm untill 8am. Please dont think that if you arrive at 5:50pm you will get away with it. The traffic wardens are lethal. Last thing at night and first thing in the morning they pounce. For the sake of 10p feed the meter.
A really good buffet breakfast in the morning sets you up for the day with plenty of choice. As I said the staff are great and can't do enough for you. A very small staff so sometimes busy especially when there are coaches in but just be patient.
All in all I'm glad that I found this place as it makes a big difference when working away from home to have some comfort and privacy.

Room Tip: Smoking rooms are available. All very comfortable. Front facing rooms have a better view and rooms above the restaurant have better chance for the WiFi
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business