See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Stayed one night. Had to wait in reception as receptionist also serving in bar. Room dated and small. Very hot and windows screwed shut. Very shabby. Breakfast limited with Luke warm tea and coffee left on alternate tables in flasks. Did not pay a fortune for room but more than I would have done At other hotels in the area including the chains. Location saved it but would not stay again.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Pamela M
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Tired of staying in pretentious 4 or 5* no atmosphere hotels ? Well the Ashley is certainly a hoot !
We stayed for 1 night in Nov 12 and at first glance thought Oh dear but we knew it was a budget price so what the hell, the rooms were basic yet clean, but what a laugh we had in the bar ( great prices as well !)
The place was buzzing, full of contractors all having a laugh, never drank so much beer before an early morning flight, if you fancy a pub atmosphere & basic burger & chips etc the Ashley is for you ! ( And we got our food at the contractors price )

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 8, 2013

As a contractor working all over the country it is sometimes difficult to find a comfortable room for a reasonable price. The britannia Ashley does both. I have been staying at the hotel Monday to Friday for about 18 months now and it suits my needs perfectly. A decent sized clean, comfortable room and very pleasant and welcoming staff. I have read reviews about dirty rooms and uncomfortable beds and I must conclude that they have been staying at a different hotel as over the past months I have been in quite a few of them and have not found any as reported. The beds are some of the most comfortable I have slept in and the power showers are brilliant. Just watch that they don't take the skin off your back! Yes the rooms are a bit dated and the TV's are antique's ( I take my own with me ) and the windows need a bit of renovation, but if you are expecting 5 star luxury for 3 star prices then you are living on the wrong planet.
The hotel is situated in Hale town centre but there is no problem with noise. If you use the car park at the back of the hotel it is very cheap. £3 for all day parking. Free after 6pm untill 8am. Please dont think that if you arrive at 5:50pm you will get away with it. The traffic wardens are lethal. Last thing at night and first thing in the morning they pounce. For the sake of 10p feed the meter.
A really good buffet breakfast in the morning sets you up for the day with plenty of choice. As I said the staff are great and can't do enough for you. A very small staff so sometimes busy especially when there are coaches in but just be patient.
All in all I'm glad that I found this place as it makes a big difference when working away from home to have some comfort and privacy.

Room Tip: Smoking rooms are available. All very comfortable. Front facing rooms have a better view and rooms above the restaurant have better chance for the WiFi
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We had a good time, but looking at the Hotel from outside, was totally different to what the picture for National Holidays showed us. we stayed on the third floor, room was none inspiring white bedding, white walls. No hair dryer, 2 lights did not work. Must say was very clean. Drab furniture and single glazing, which was freezing as radiator to close to window. Bute our friends stayed on first floor and there room was really nice matching furniture and red hot.
must say the staff were pleasant. bar was ok, cheap wine £6.00 a bottle! where we paid £19.00 up the street
Good location for Hale but considering I thought I was to stay at Chester on our trip. Which is what attracted us to the deal.
Ideal for a night but not much more!

Room Tip: Stay on first or second floor.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 23, 2013

This hotel was dirty the beds were hard. We arrive at 10.30pm and had to wait 30 mins for the foreign staff member to sort out our booking. We only had a few hours before we needed to be up and back to the airport. When we was leaving we called down for them to arrange a taxi in 30mins. It was quite obvious he had no idea what I was talking about. It was proven when we went down stairs and there was no taxi and we had to ask him again to call us one. Even the taxi firm asked for the phone to be passed to us as they was unable to communicate with him. It wouldn't have been too bad but his attitude towards us was equally as bad. Not a great start to our holiday. Take my advise pay the extra and stay somewhere else! Or sleep in the car!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple