“A lovely treat”

Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Reservations
Description: CLOSED FOR MAJOR RENOVATION UNTIL 2016
Reviewed May 18, 2013

My husband and I ate here as a treat during our holiday in May. We were welcomed by the owners and shown through to a lovely lounge where we were offered a pre dinner drink. They have a super range of gins and whisky. We had a delicious amuse bouche of black pudding.

We were shown to our table where we were presented with a little pot of butternut squash soup with a pastry lid.

For starters I had scallops which were lovely although my husband had duck which was even better. For main I had fillet steak which was excellent. My husband had lamb - the sweet bread and chop was lovely but the other cut wasn't quite as nice. I then had rice pudding with prunes which was delicious and my husband had a chocolate marquis - his only complaint -that there wasn't a second one.

We then enjoyed our coffee and hand made chocolates in the lounge and our dog even joined us for coffee.

Service was faultless. The views from the light and airy restaurant are lovely. The wine list is extensive. Although it is expensive, the quality is excellent as is the service and therefore good value. A lovely venue for a romantic dinner.

2  Thank redheadsturnheads

Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

soooo delicious soo fresh felt like home mafe food loved it yummy. loved there bread its just so fresh

Reviewed April 28, 2013

We dined here for a bit of a treat whilst touring round cairngorm.
We were greeted on arrival and taken to the study prior to table. Here we ordered drinks and received appetiser of haggis balls which were very nice. Once at the table we were served lovely fresh made bread and per course had celeriac soup which was excellent. Our starters consisted of ham hock ball and scallops both courses very nice. Next up was mains - halibut and venison; both continued the excellent cooking and ingredients. The halibut was very meaty and fresh as was the venison loin, cooked to perfection.
Desserts were lemon tart and chocolate moose cake ... Both of which were excellent, however the choc dish was cut in half and this let the dessert down in terms of portion size but quality was there. Finished off with coffee.

All in all a decent dining experience. The service was top notch and everything regarding the pace of the evening was 100%

I would highly recommend here for a special occasion and if I am ever back in ballater I will be sure to check out again.

1  Thank NSXer
Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

We don't often write reviews but felt this was the least we could do to encourage other people to share in the same experience we had. From the warm friendly welcome at the front door, to the pre-dinner canapés in the sitting room, we felt like we had stepped back in time to the stately grand homes of Scotland's gentry. The food was exceptional, the service attentive and friendly and the atmosphere perfect for a special evening with my beautiful wife. Highly recommend you try this place, you won't be disappointed. Excellent.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

We recently dined here to celebrate our anniversary. It's a fairly grand old scottish house with wonderful views. We were greeted by the owner who was friendly, showing us into one of the lounges before taking a drinks order. The menus were brought for us to peruse while enjoying a small pastry with a filling of herring which was lovely.

On being shown to the restaurant we were pleasantly surprised by the warm, cosy conservatory. Our food was delicious, eg scallops, venison and guinea foul, all very tasty and perfectly served. We ended with coffee, liqueurs and chocolates served back in the lounge.

Darroch Learg, for us at least, is somewhere for a special occasion. It is quite pricey but the food is just so good so is worth it. If there is anything missing it would be some background music, as has already been said. Also maybe a little more choice at each course which is limited.