“Ho Hum”

Ranked #12 of 32 Restaurants in Ballater
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Lovely old inn, great atmosphere for a drink and a rest however the restaurant leaves much to the imagination. Poor service, confused staff, food average, basic and not professional. Was disappointed, would not return.

Reviewed July 18, 2014

If you get the chance try the crab spaghetti. We were staying at the hotel and had the 3 course table d'hote menu. Good selection and the a la carte menu looked great too.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

Very reasonable priced and you can hv your dog sleepover with you...lovely pub and very good breakfast.

Reviewed May 8, 2014

We were recommended by the lovely lady in the tourist office in Ballater.we had previously eaten in our hotel Craigendaroch and thought we would have a change .big mistake .I had called at lunch to book and looked at the menu and noticed it was dearer than our hotel but thought we'd give it a go expecting something special .wednesday was steak night so fillet steak was £18.95 one of our guests chose that I declined a starter as the menu had two prices on and soup at £6.95 I thought was a bit steep ,the cheaper prices were explained to me as being for the residents ,they would pay a supplement for anything on the menu ??? Soup being £3.95., first impressions not good a bucket ,with something looking like bath water met you as you entered the restaurant,coming from the ceiling.the waiter took our order mine for pink lamb it came cremated almost to a cinder ,I asked what it was he said lamb medium rare,he offered to change it but as we had waited over 30 mins I said I would try it ,vegetables were cold on all our meals and we decided to leave after that .my meal was not charged for to be fair but the fillet steak on offer went on the bill at £26.95 ,and again I had to query it and get a refund .for something special ,in exceptional surroundings I do not mind paying,but the carpets needed a good clean I couldn't tell what colour they were and the floor in desperate need of a clean / re varnish ,so tonight back to the kieiller brasserie for fabulous modern food cooked to perfection.

Reviewed May 1, 2014

The food is wonderful. We love the taster menu and the staff could not be more helpful. If you go the walking holiday you are given a packed lunch and it is super. The sandwiches are fab!!