“Great Ski Trip”
Review of Deeside Inn

Deeside Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Ballater
Reviewed April 19, 2014

I stayed here in Feb 2014 with my partner during a ski trip. We arrived early before out check in time and the hotel staff were very accommodating and checked us in.

We opted for the dinner bed and breakfast option and were not let down at all. Dinner was a 6 course taster menu. The portions were huge and the food of very good quality. The same went for breakfast, a menu to choose and again a good portion and great quality.

The staff were very welcoming and made us feel as ease. They were very attentive and no request was too much.

The rooms are adequate, if there was one small complaint it would be the noise of the floor boards, but I guess that is expected with an old building.

All in all myself and my partner enjoyed our stay and would certainly use the hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Joanna W, General Manager at Deeside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Very pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us and I much appreciate you posting a review on TripAdvisor. The snow has all gone now but hope we'll have a good season next winter - come and see us again then. Best wishes, Joanna

Reviewed April 13, 2014

A party of 6 ladies on a golf break. We requested 3 twin rooms. On arrival 2 rooms were allocated perfectly, but the 3rd room was a double bed room, not suitable. After another 2 unfruitful attempts, one room over looked a blank wall, the next room was dirty, we finally had an acceptable room only to find there were no mirrors in the bedroom, the only one being in the bathroom. We were told we would get one the next day. The next problem ocurred in the dinning room. Our meal lasted 2 1/4 hours. This was caused by inderstaffing in both kitchen and dining room. The waiter and waitress were very pleasant but had too many guests to serve. While the food was good it arrived cold. The next evening it was exactly the same. On the 3rd night we opted to eat out. The management did supply a bottle of red and white wine at the restaurant. We also received a complementary bottle of wine on our first evening. There were major problems with the water system. Sometines there was an airlock, it was always very hot and difficult to adjust the temperature. This could be a really good hotel if it was properly managed and the structural issues fixed, as the is location excellant and the staff very friendly despite the trying circumstances. I would not recommend this hotel until these issues have been resolved. Despite this we did enjoy our golf break.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

I have to say that I am disappointed to read your review - especially as we dicussed your stay at length on two occasions. I mentioned at the time that the rooms we had allocated to you were the rooms that had been requested by the company who booked them on your behalf. As soon as we knew that one of the rooms was unsuitable for your needs, even though it had been confirmed prior to your arrival, we gave you options on another couple of rooms. I do understand that you had to wait a little longer than is normal for your dinner but you are wrong in assuming that was due to understaffing. That was not the case. I did explain and offer an apology at the time as well as offering you a bottle of wine as a gesture of goodwill. I think we have a lovely hotel here - run by a team of people who really care about our guests.

Reviewed April 11, 2014

My husband and I booked a whiskey weekend and had a lovely stay. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Our room was fine, small but clean and tidy. We stayed on a DBB basis and could not fault the food at all. The restaurant manager was great and we had some great banter with him even though he was having a stressful night. Will visit again and bring the kids next time.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your lovely review, which we very much appreciate. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Peter is great and I'm glad you had some fun with him. Best wishes Joanna

Reviewed April 5, 2014

stayed over for a mini break with friends having spent a great christmas at the hotel, once again great hospitality and foodI have to laugh at some of the reviews criticising for a dog hair, there is a cluse the hotel welcomes dogs so with the best will in the world thers a fair chance youll find a dog hair!
We weere welcomed by the staff and it was just like a home from home, once again the food we had in the restaurant was superb and cant believe the value for money.
Planning our next visit with friends in May and alraedy looking forward to it, keep up the good work

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Houseofdun
Joanna W, General Manager at Deeside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2014

Hello there, Lovely that you wrote a review for us we were all really thrilled to have you back to stay. Looking forward to seeing you again in May. As you rightly say we do welcome dogs but not in all the rooms and I still expect rooms to be perfect and dog hair free. I am looking at this to make sure that we don't encounter this again. See you soon and best of wishes from all of us here, joanna

Reviewed March 27, 2014

just returned after 3 day break in Deeside inn .we were made most welcome by Joanna the manager and her very friendly and helpful staff . deal was 3 nights dinner bed and breakfast with afternoon cream tea on arrival; we arrived late on sun so Joanna told us afternoon tea would be on second day then arranged complimentary tea and biscuits in lounge very professional and not expected .Delighted with the food and atmosphere and sitting round the open fire each evening after our meal was very relaxing as this was the break we wanted. The Deeside Inn is ideally located to explore and visit surrounding area first time in area and hotel but will be back was very impressed in to days climate to see manager taking time to greet and chat with guests making them welcome and at ease

1  Thank donaldson41

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and much appreciate your taking the time to review it on TripAdvisor. Please do come back and see us again soon. Best wishes, Joanna Whysall

Reviewed March 24, 2014

Stayed on a short break, in lovely Ballater. On our arrival we were met by a lovely receptionist, but instead of being shown to our room we were given directions to room 6. The room was ok . There appears to be some issue with house keeping. Remote control was in need of a clean, covered with grim, to some this may not be important. The bathroom was dated, shower not much power & again dated, sink outlet very dirty, had not seen bleach or cleaner.Coffee & milk not replemished following day.When looking at hotel details before booking, the rooms looked great but can't always go by Photo's. Management should check out this room.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

I am very sorry to read your review. I have to say that we pride ourselves on a running a very clean and comfortable hotel so I am surprised and disappointed to hear your comments. Please be assured that this matter has been looked into and more training has been given to a new staff member who was responsible for cleaning your room that day. I can assure you that our standards are typically very high and thank you for alerting me to this fact. Best wishes, Joanna Whysall

Reviewed March 21, 2014

This was my second visit to this hotel....the first was three years ago in June 2011. I decided a return for a couple of peaceful nights was in order as had just returned to work after having a holiday in Tenerife somewhat ruined by the flu plus wanted to escape football fever in Aberdeen! I had requested a room away from noisy kitchen fans and a bath if possible but peace and quiet was what I was craving! On arrival Amy greeted me and advised that she had upgraded me to a double room which was great. The room was ok but the first sight that greeted me was staff smoking below my window and some rusting trolleys....not ideal but nothing I couldn't live with.....however the noisy kitchen fan was a couple of windows away and really annoying. Some people...my husband for instance, are not bothered by fan noises but I am but decided to try to live with it......a wee bit later music started up below me and I packed my bag ready to catch the last bus back to Aberdeen as it would be more peaceful at home! The music was the hotel entertainment...it wouldn't have bothered anyone who was out for the night or who was wanting to sit and enjoy it in the bar. Amy was still on reception and I explained that I couldn't sleep in the room and she showed me room ten which didn't have the entertainment noise but was right above the noisy fan so I couldn't move into it. Bless her she gave me room 17 which didn't have a bath but I said that was ok as it was quiet and that was the main thing! Thanks again Amy you are a star as if I hadn't moved I really would have had to leave! In both of the rooms I found them to be clean, lovely crisp clean linen, nice pillows, towels etc. the only things that let both rooms down were that as in my previous visit I had to clean both kettles and tv remotes.....this seems to be commonplace in most hotels though especially the remote. Also my bed wasn't made or tea and biscuit replenished on the morning of my full day at the hotel....not that this bothered me but may annoy others! The cleaner was in as cup washed and towel moved and toilet roll end folded. On the Sunday evening I was awoken by drunk football revellers outside singing so didnt entirely escape them! The guy in the restaurant at breakfast was very friendly and efficient....cannot fault him! Breakfast at Crerar Hotels is always good....fresh fruit on offer plus an amazing variety of hot food. I didn't have dinner at the hotel this time. All in all things are improved from my last visit and for the price I paid I am more than happy which is in the main due to the actions of Amy who saved the day for me! I will be back as long as I can get a room away from the noise again!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank jetice_10
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballater
Loch Kinord Hotel
23 mi away
Dalmunzie Castle
Dalmunzie Castle
#1 of 1 in Spittal of Glenshee

Been to Deeside Inn? Share your experiences!