“Romantic”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
“Romantic”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Lovely restaurant serving really elegantly prepared food which tastes delicious. Definitely a place for a special occasion as it's not cheap but the service, location and quality are what you pay for.

• Visited March 2014

London, United Kingdom
“A lovely meal”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

My partner and I went to Cornfields on Valentines Day. We hade the special set menu which was reasonable at £70 per couple.

The food was outstanding, the service was very friendly if not a little bit unprofessional. For example we were seated for 15 minutes before we ordered our drinks. The chefs were coming out of the kitchen to serve the dinners. I understood that two of their waiting staff had called in sick that evening which probably accounts for this.

Its almost like you are siting in someones dinning room, and we were a little cold.

That said the food really was outstanding. We will probably go back at some stage.

• Visited February 2014
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Certainly in the Top Five”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

It is difficult to understand why this wonderful restaurant is not more highly rated on TripAdvisor. Personally, I rate it as Number Three in Bedfordshire, and I know only two other restaurants that come near to it for quality of the food, innovative menu and friendliness and efficiency of the staff. I recommend it to everyone who I think will appreciate its quality. It is currently ranked 92/741 in the county and 40/198 in Bedford. IGNORE THESE LOW RATINGS. It is FAR better than those figures suggest. Give Cornfields a try and I am sure that you will agree with me. (No, I'm not related to the owner!)
The charges are very reasonable considering the high standard of food and service. The ambience is excellent, quiet even when busy and in an atmospheric low-ceilinged old tavern. Dining at Cornfields is always an enjoyable experience.

• Visited November 2013
Bedford
“Birthday Dinner”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Our twin sons had a significant birthday and we took them to Cornfields. This was not the frst time we have visited. We were not disappointed.
When one arrives one enters the old bar of the Wheatsheaf, which got my wife and myself reminising about the 1970's and real ale. We had our pre-dinner drinks in the bar and chose our meals. The waitresses were reasonably efficient and polite.

MENU
There was a good selection and even my wife said there were two or three items which she would eat.
When we arrived at the table, very fresh bread was served with olive oil and butter as required.
The four of us had selected three diffent first courses. I had scallops which were served with an incredibly tasty sauce of creamed and crispy leaks.. One of my sons had the courgette, pea and mint soup which he too said was excellent. The other two had stilton, walnut and bacon fritters with a port sauce. It sounds delicious, and they both said that it was.

We also chose three different main courses and everyone said that theirs was well cooked and extremely tasty. The sauces with each choice were fantastic.

DINING ROOM
The charcter of the dining room is not as good as the bar, it being relatively modern. However the room is pleasant.

SERVICE
The service was good, and personal but surprisingly there were very few people dining.

OVERALL
We have visited Cornfields on a number of occasions, as a couple, as a large private party, and as a group of people on the Christmas menu. Each time the meals have been well cooked and presented and we have not had a bad meal.
On this ocassion we had an excellent meal, which was not cheap but of extremely high quality. We will return.

• Visited October 2013
“Very enjoyable visit”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Set in picturesque countryside and well worth the drive to get to. Some really nice seafood options on the menu, not cheap but still good value. The fish is fresh and the service is comes with a warm smile. Try the scallops!

• Visited September 2013