“dessert heaven”

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 9, 2014

The service here is excellent, the staff really make you feel special, we had our anniversary dinner here and although we don't like 'posh food' we both where able to eat 3 courses! My main was the twice baked souffle and it was delicious!!! My husband had steak and the chips where massive! The apple dessert plate was wonderful, my husband had a little taste and was very jealous that he hadn't got it too! Would recommend, a lovely place with wonderful views, it has it all!! :}

Reviewed February 14, 2014

Polite efficient staff and not always hovering. Food was very good with pleasing presentation and good atmosphere in the restaurant

Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

Having decided to go out for our Christmas dinner this year my family and I booked The River room restaurant at The Swan Hotel. At £85 a head I expected a certain standard of food & service and sadly we were utterly disappointed with our overall experience.

On first arrival the champagne & canapé reception was lovely and we eagerly anticipating our Christmas dinner... I wish I had of stuck with the canapés!! At first we were brought to the wrong table and took about 10mins of standing around before we were seated.

Our starters arrived promptly but it felt like they had been sitting out for a while instead of being freshly prepared. Several of us had ordered the soup which tasted nice but they were all luke warm bordering on cold, my father in law had a tian of crab which he found several bits of shell in it and then my friend found a sharp piece of hard plastic in her salad!!! They all sent it back. The waitress who had served our starters was not in a happy mood and our food had pretty much been shoved in front of us with not so much of a smile!!

We had ordered some wine for the table which was warm.... Having mentioned to the management about the starters they took the wine of the bill.

Then our mains arrived 45 mins after our starters had been taken away. The meat again was luke warm, dry & tasteless, the potatoes were cold & hard as if it had all been pre-cooked hours beforehand, the veg was just a pile of mush. I couldn't believe we had paid £85 per head to eat what was in front of us!! You pay a premium for dining out on Christmas Day and expect a certain standard especially from an establishment that us supposed to be a 4* hotel!!

I wish we had of brought up how disappointed and saddened we were with our whole experience at The river room restaurant but we had 2 young children with us and didn't want to dampen the Christmas Day atmosphere any more than what it had been. But we have written a letter of complaint and curious to see how this will be reproached. Don't feel anything other than a refund will suffice as our Christmas Day dinner was appalling and ruined. Don't bother booking your Christmas dinner with at this establishment, you would probably be better off cooking dinner at home.

Only way I can summarise our experience... Disappointing.

4  Thank pinkpashmina
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I held a dinner for my daughters future inlaws on the eve of her wedding, we had never met them and I did go to the restaurant that lunch time to emphasise its importance to me. It is enough to say about the service and food quality that all of the food was taken off the bill for all 9 guests.

1  Thank Philip P
Reviewed September 27, 2013

A great location, beautiful hotel and wonderful ambience, this restaurant promised great things. However the menu was distinctly average and the execution of our meals no better. A steak ordered medium rare was rare, we weren't offered any bread or water for the table, a starter of prawns came with bread but no butter, and the jus for my chicken had dried on the plate by the time it reached the table. What service there was was very friendly, but there was too much waving staff down to ask for a drink, or butter etc. it could have been amazing with a few tweaks in the kitchen and waiting staff thinking about their role a little harder. Disappointing, I'm not sure when we'll be back.

1  Thank Alexandra J