“Not sure....”

Dining options: Reservations
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Not sure....”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I've eaten here a couple of times within the last month. First time round I thought pretty good, second time round not so much.

Firstly, the blonde receptionist is the most miserable, unwelcoming front of house staff I've ever come across. It's a shame you have to enter your car reg' at reception (otherwise you will receive a parking ticket through the post) as it means you actually have to attempt to talk to her (which she quite clearly finds incovenient). She has the people skills of a lemon.

The restaurant can be a little lacking in atmosphere if nobody is in there like there was on my first visit, however on the second time around it was much busier but they didn't have enough staff to cope.

The menu appears to be quite extravagant but that doesn't escape the fact that the portions are small and it's overpriced. Last time I ordered scallops to start at £9.50. When the dish arrived what I was served was 1 scallop, sliced into 3 pieces! When I queried this with the waitress she denied it was one scallop andwas told that is the portion size they serve and that how it's served in the Devils Kitchen! She didn't even offer to remove it for me! I think she must have thought I was joking or something but I wasn't. I've attached a photo so have a look, £9.50 for one scallop cut into 3 bits! I have to say other than that the waitress was very good.

You normally get small portions in expensive restaurants but leave fealing full as the food is quite rich, but here you leave feeling they just can't quite pull it off! A two minute walk down the road and you reach the Embankment, which is heaving even on weekdays, yet here it's often deserted and severley lacking in atmoshere - says it all!

• Visited August 2012
3 Thank ran58y

milton keynes
“afternoon tea”
Reviewed May 13, 2012

food poor quality ( dry sandwiches and sweaty cakes), ambience poor ( having to eat with spa visitors in their dressing gowns and smell of the Spa) and providing diettary requirements dreadful ( Fish sandwiches placed on the same plate as others and only a cheese sandwich for wheat/dairy person - no cakes!)

Visited May 2012
3 Thank sazzie40
suffolk
“Hopeless service and poor food”
Reviewed January 27, 2012

Arranging the beetroot prettily on the plate seems to be the aim of the chef! Needs to get back to basics of good quality food that is well cooked and fresh. Soup and steak are the best bets, avoid everything else.

Visited January 2012
3 Thank SuffolkMobo
Bedford
“Dine somewhere else!”
Reviewed January 26, 2012

We decided to go back in December after a disastrous meal at the end of the Summer - but I'm sorry to say that it had not improved, so that leads me to say it's getting worse as the faults are still there! The service was very slow, although there were not many people in the restaurant. Our first 2 choices of wine were not available, but that happened the last time too! We had to ask for bread to nibble whereas everywhere else we go it is put on the table as soon as you are seated. In the Summer they got my fillet steak wrong twice, but I ate it the 2nd time as my dining companions had finished their meal by the time it finally arrived. To be fair, they did not charge for my meal, but we would have preferred a decent meal and happily paid for it. In December the steak was gristly, which fillet steak should never be! Although we complained we were still charged for the meal, even though they could see the remains of the steak left on the plate. The vegetable portions can only be classed as frugal.
We enjoy eating out and as this hotel is local to where we live we were very disappointed as it will not be a regular haunt, in fact we will avoid going there again.

• Visited December 2011
2 Thank Hollydaze57
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Award Winning”
Reviewed October 21, 2011

A delight to the palette! Particular mention to the Scallops with Black Pudding & Pork Belly!!!! Delicious!

Visited October 2011