“Home From Home”

Ranked #15 of 18 Hotels in Bedford
Penzance, United Kingdom
“Home From Home”
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Booked in to the embankment for one night. Easy check in, Room very clean and tidy. Plenty of space. Breakfast served in the usual area next to the bar with fresh croissants and jams, yoghurts and cereals. On this occasion I did not opt for the cooked. Perhaps on my next visit. !!
Easy check out. Very friendly staff.

Room Tip: I had room 110. Ideal for 1 person.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
jonathantaylorhotel, General Manager at Embankment Hotel, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Hi Mark

Many thanks for your review. I am really please you had a comfortable stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to Bedford.
Jonathan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Glasgow
Reviewed March 26, 2014

I went for a boozy lunch with two lady friends for my Birthday. It was a Wednesday afternoon and not particularly busy which made the poor service even more galling. We waited for 20 minutes for our order to be taken and during that time I personally had to fetch the specials board. There was no apology for this plus no explanation of these 'special' dishes. The food was pleasant, but over priced for what it was (basically good pub grub) and at no point did we feel like being valued customers. One member of staff was on his phone at every opportunity and all staff floated about not actually taking notice of what the customers may need. We had to go to the bar to ask for the bill but if they had been more attentive we may have stayed for more drinks. One of my co diners left a small tip, but I didn't think they deserved a penny. Nice kids, but totally lacking in customer relations which is a must when 3 of you spent £170 on lunch!!!!!

• Stayed March 2014
jonathantaylorhotel, General Manager at Embankment Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Many thanks for your review,
It sounds to me like you certainly didn’t receive our usual high standards of service.
Please can you let me know via email the date you visited so I can investigate this.

Jonathan.taylor@peachpubs.com
Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

Great location in the best part of Bedford. The Embankment. Front rooms are the best. Back rooms pokey. Rooms are standard issue gastro pub, with appropriate character in places. Restaurant excellent, but don't fall for the back rooms - they lack atmosphere in my view unless you have a big/private party. Bar excellent array of wine and beers. Food good. Sunday lunch particularly good. Enjoyable stay.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your kind review,
Our dining room at the back for the building is suitable for slightly more formal dining but does not get the buzz from the bar unfortunately. On a busy evening it creates it own atmosphere though through the music and hum of guests chatter.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the embankment soon.
England
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Room 105, The bedroom was clean , tidy and comfortable with a clean ensuite (shame the ensuite door was hanging loose on its hinges). The breakfast (incl.,in the price of stay )was excellent and offering full English/with fruit and cereal . We dined in house and again the food was of an excellent standard and served well. Would recommend staying to anyone.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
jonathantaylorhotel, General Manager at Embankment Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Thank you very much for positive review
I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to seeing you again soon. The door to the bathroom was repaired on the day of your departure and I am sorry this was not quite right during your stay.
Flitwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

Had a 10oz French steak. Asked for a medium and was cooked to perfection. Lovely meal and nice staff. Was seated very quickly and food came swiftly and hot. Nice place for couples or doubles. Starters were sausage and bread with dips, was a treat. Would recommend for nice relaxing meal or a special treat.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your glowing review,
You must have visited on a Wednesday for our steak night of the French Cut Rump? It is a personal favourite of mine too. I’m really glad you enjoyed it.
I look forward to seeing you next time you visit.
England
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We are regular customers of Embankment and dine there on a frequent basis.
We wanted to enquire about several family and friends staying there in the summer when we have a party locally. I went into the Embankment and was asked to call 'Wendy' on a mobile number who is the reservation manager. I had no problem in doing that but when I phoned I have to say the service and attitude was very abrupt almost rude; I got told they have a block booking of the hotel for two months but it was in such an off hand manner and that 'I couldn't have a discount anyway!'.
I accept that the hotel may be fully booked but I was surprised at the whole attitude and I will now be taking our booking of up to about 7 or 8 rooms elsewhere!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent telephone conversation with Wendy. After investigating your comments I have been informed that when you called you asked Wendy for 3-4 rooms (not the 7-8 rooms you have spoken of) and that Jason (who you originally spoke to) said you could have a discount for being a local. Wendy explained to you we were fully booked and that as a rule we actually only reduce room rates if 10 or more rooms are booked. You then told her that “you don’t even have 10 rooms” to which Wendy then informed you of the fact we actually have 20.
We would have offered you a discount on your 7-8 rooms however, but we couldn’t as we were full.

I am sorry you felt Wendy was abrupt with you on the phone, however she was just trying to explain to you why we couldn’t accommodate you.

If you would like to book a room in future please email jonathan.taylor@peachpubs.com so I can oversee your booking personally.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 5, 2014

This is the third time we have had a one night booking at this hotel, on this occasion we requested a room to the rear of the property, which we were allocated. The room was overlooking the car park and turned out to be quite quiet. We had room 206 which was small, but more than adequate for one night - clean, a very large comfortable bed and the temperature was pleasant and easy to control. The shower room was clean, though the shower was a tad small, but again fine for a one night stay.
The bar area has a lovely atmosphere, with a good selection of drinks and on this occasion the staff were really friendly, they never stopped clearing tables, re-stocking the tables with clean cutlery and rearranging the chairs for the next guests.
We had a lovely cooked breakfast the following day, although there is a good choice of other options if you don't feel like a "Full English", there is fruit, cereals, yogurts, pastries and toast. The little touch of warm mugs for your tea/coffee is a nice touch and the staff in the morning were just as hospitable and busy as they had been in the bar the night before.
The hotel is in the perfect location for both strolling, the shopping area and just relaxing with a drink outside.
All in all a very pleasant stay and will definitely be back again!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for great review and thank you for continuing to return to us to enjoy our hospitality.
We pride ourselves in having a really comfortable and friendly atmosphere as has been highlighted in your comments. Please be sure to say hello when you next stay with us.
Best wishes