“Very Nice Stay”

Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Bedford
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
“Very Nice Stay”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Just came back from staying at the HI..............i was going to a wedding in bedford so needed accommodation for two nights and this was a very pleasant stay...........check-in perfect......bedroom - lovely.........and breakfast buffet - spot on.....i recommend this this fully

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Kerrie72, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bedford, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and that your stay was a pleasant one. We are glad you enjoyed your weekend and you found the hotel suitable for your needs.
We look forwards to welcoming you back again. Kind regards Kerrie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Newton Le Willows, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Just to be absolutely clear the issue is a customer service issue, not a hotel cleanliness, etc issue.

Having stayed here for a friend's wedding in August, I made the mistake of leaving some personal items in the room, these consisted of a pillow with a cable for an ipod and an ipod charger and mains plug which were in the pillowcase. The reason I have these is because of tinnitus, which can sometimes affect my sleep.

I managed to get to sleep watching tv and didn't need to use the pillow, so luckily I hadn't bothered to unpack my ipod, unfortuately I forgot the other items as mentioned above.

I contacted them the evening afterwards when I realised that I hadn't packed these items and spoke to a gentleman named Kyle who assured me that he would have the room checked and that someone would contact me by mid-
afternoon whether or not these items showed up.

No attempt to get in touch was made so I called back and was told that a lady called Diana was dealing with the matter. She again told me that none of my items had made their way to lost and found (she checked the room again and still nothing). She said that she would speak to housekeeping, to which I said that if they turn up ok, but otherwise I will need to complain stating that I had left the items and for some reason they weren't handed in to lost and found.

On the Monday I had a call to say that the items had been found and they would be posting them to me (I should point out that Diana herself was actually very helpful and as far as I can tell hasn't actually charged me for postage), the problems are as follows:

Having retrieved the package the pillow has a considerable slash down the side.
The pillow case, charger cable and ipod plug were not returned so I will have to replace these at cost.

Called up to speak to a manager to complain, the person I spoke to told me to call back tomorrow when Diana is in, I said that this has gone beyond that stage and I would like to speak to a manager (my complaint isn't regarding Diana herself, I felt that she was helpful, it is the general standard of customer care regarding this matter...I would have explained this to the lady on the other end of the phone if she handed kept interrupting me..Scottish accent, but I didn't get her name).

She said that the manager is a regional manager and I would be better off speaking to the deputy manager as they are on site so gave me the email address.

I've decided to deal with their main customer services department instead!!

The review is purely to raise awareness of this issue, hopefully no-one else has the same experience that I have, but do be aware that the level of 'after-care' is poor.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Pete G
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bedford, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Dear Pete G,

Thank you for taking the time to write our hotel a comprehensive review. I am delighted to know that you found our location and room accommodations commendable. I apologize that your stay was negatively affected by the customer service received. I will follow up with the staff to ensure similar situations could be avoided in the future.

While we understand your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope to have the opportunity of hosting you again should your travels bring you back to Bedford.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Cardiff
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We stayed with a party of eleven people in Bedford competing in a weekend sports event. The hotel was exceptionally clean, everything looked new. The rooms were immaculate with the added bonus of aircon. Despite the close proximity of a major road and main rail line, the room was quiet and all of the party claimed to have had a comfortable nights sleep. The breakfast was pseudo continental with only scrambled eggs, sausage and beans served hot although there was a pleasant array of fruit, cereals,yoghurts, rolls, bread and cakes. There is a restaurant providing evening meals.The cost of the stay was only £119 for three nights per couple, excellent value. Only 2 - 3 miles outside Bedford we were pleased in not having to use our own cars, the taxi service from A1 cars was superb up to four passengers was £5 : 60p and an eight seat mini bus cost only £7 : 60p per single journey into Bedford. All in all good value for money over the weekend, we will certainly be booking next year

Room Tip: Lift service to all floors and all corridors and doors allow for disabled access.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and your positive comments about the standard of the hotel and the team members. Your feedback will be passed on to housekeeping as they do work hard to maintain the standards. We looking forwards to welcoming you back.
Paphos, Cyprus
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Me and my fiancé have just spent 2 nights in the Holiday Inn Express in Bedford. We booked in advance and it cost us £80 for two of us to stay from Friday until Sunday, for that price I wasn't expecting much but upon arrival the room was great!

There is not much nearby the hotel, mainly roads, fields and an M&S petrol station out front which is handy to buy anything you may need.

The car park had plenty of room and even though we overheard the desk clerk saying they were fully booked up that weekend, there was always plenty of room.

The room itself had a gorgeous bathroom with toilet, sink, shower (and a very funky door that can be shut 2 ways which I thought was amazing!) The main room had a shelf unit with mirror, a large desk and chair, TV, sofa and bed. Rooms have the usual kettle (good) and hair dryer (terrible, didn't even ruffle my hair - I suggest you take your own) and TV with a small handful of channels on. There is no iron in the rooms, however they do have a room upstairs with 2 iron/ironing boards in, was a bit of a pain trying to wait in line to iron clothes when you have a wedding to attend but it was better then nothing.

The wifi was really high priced, it was £5 for an hour of wifi. We did discover that you can ask at reception for a voucher for complementary wifi for 2 hours which we did but firstly, it wouldn't work on our iPhone's so I connected it on my laptop but it was so ridiculously slow that I gave up.

Another note, it was a very hot weekend in Bedford, the aircon was very much appreciated in the room, but I thought to save energy that I would open my window, only to find that there is a railway that runs along the back of the hotel as well as the nearby motorways so it had to stay shut. The noise did creep in occasionally but it cant be helped.

Now, onto my last and biggest complaint. The front desk tell you on arrival that breakfast is served 7am-10am, the book in your room tells you the same, it also tells you that there will be cereal, toast, fruit, croissants, muffins, sausages, eggs and beans (no bacon :( sad face). We went down stairs to the breakfast room at jut after half past 9, got our plates and found there was some cereal, some fruit, 3 croissants, bread to toast and some mini chocolate muffins on offer. The hot food was completely empty, just a few stray beans left in. In my opinion, if you are going to offer breakfast until 10am, you should have food available or state that it is first come first serve. Anyway, I got a bowl of coco puffs and a banana and sat down. They were very nice coco puffs too until a few bites into it, I go to put my spoon in my mouth and at the very last second notice that I have a huge dead centipede on it. As you can imagine, I wasn't too thrilled, I work in a restaurant myself and I know first hand that these things can happen so I called over a girl cleaning a table next to me and showed her. She looked kind of grossed out and just said 'hang on a minute, I'll get my manager' so she came over, took one look, said 'ewww that's gross, I'll take that' and left. I wasn't expecting anything but an apology but I didn't get one. Needless to say, I skipped breakfast the next day.

So, breakfast was a big let down, rooms are great, prices really good (book in advance, noticed a sign up behind the front desk saying it was £90 per night that day) wifi expensive, beds VERY comfy, wanted to take the duvet home (don't worry, I didn't). Over all, I will stay at a holiday inn again and would recommend. Maybe I will try a different location next time.

Room Tip: ask for a higher up room, might reduce some noise from trains and traffic
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review and your feedback. We are glad you found your stay value for money however we are sorry to hear you had a bad experience at breakfast.
We do replenish breakfast throughout the morning especially during busy periods, but we appreciate your comments and have communicated to the team to ensure we improve our service. We have informed our suppliers with regards to the insect in your cereal and please be assured that your complaint was taken seriously by our Duty Manager.
Kind regards Kerrie
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Clean comfortable and did the job!

Not much around but reception staff reccomended a good indian nearby and sorted out a taxi, paid £50 and the room was great value, the free breakfast was the normal basic one but as much as you want!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Kerrie72, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bedford, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Thank you for your kind comments about the team members and glad they were helpful and accommodating. We are happy you found the price of the room good value for money along with our complimentary breakfast.
Many thanks and we look forwards to seeing you in the near future.
Kerrie
north east
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I stayed in the Holiday inn express on Tuesday 28 august with my sisters as we where visiting another sister for a surprise on her 60 birthday.
The staff were very pleasent and helpfull,the hotel itself was very clean and comfortable.
I will be using the holiday inn again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind comments. We are happy that we could make your stay an enjoyable one and hope you had a great time at your sisters 60th surprise party?
We look forwards to welcoming you back in the near future.
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed overnight to attend a family celebration early the following day. We paid £40 for a family of four and this included a buffet breakfast. The room was quite small but very modern and clean and the beds were fairly comfortable. The one downside to the hotel is a main road to one side and a trainline to the other and the trains woke me up a couple of times in the night.

Reception staff were fine, polite and helpful and the breakfast again was fine, limited choice but for the price you can't expect anything else. Overall we were quite happy with our stay in terms of value for money.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are happy that you found the price good value and our rates always include our complimentary breakfast.
We hope you will return to the hotel in the futture and should you require a quieter room we will do our upmost to fulfil this request.