“The Elephant never forgets - A memorable night with friends”
Review of The Elephant

The Elephant
Ranked #90 of 417 Restaurants in Bedford
Cuisines: Chinese, Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Bedfrod
“The Elephant never forgets - A memorable night with friends”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

We were advised to pre-order as we were a party of 12, which we did. Drinks and food arrived in a timely manner, delivered by courteous and attentive staff.

We each agreed that the food was very good; it's well presented, tasty and comes in hearty portions. Furthermore, in my own previous experiences of this place I have found that the Chinese menu they offer is (at the time of writing) the best I can find in Bedford. In particular I especially appreciate the noodles which are not at all greasy - exactly how I like them. In fact, I have tried most of their menu by now - Chinese & Thai - and can report that these chefs certainly know what they are doing.

Back to the evening in question, it was a Saturday night and though the staff were clearly very busy with a full restaurant to manage their desire to 'take care of' us was evident throughout and we were pleased with the service. The Thai waitresses here are very warm characters and make for excellent hosts. We definitely left feeling we had been well looked after.

In summary this is a nice setting to eat out in. The food and service are good and for the money paid I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. My friends and I enjoyed a lovely evening here.

• Visited January 2013
4 Thank Letemeatcake

Bedford, United Kingdom
“Promises much but fails to deliver”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

The decor and ambience as you walk in to the contemporary chinese/thai restaurant. The menu looks good at first glance with some modern and traditional favourites.

However it starts to go downhill with the service, cocky and not funny (but trying to be funny staff) spoil the occasion somewhat. The food is not as good as you would expect.

The sticky rice, well it was sticky, but as a clump not real thai sticky rice. The Pad Thai was too sweet and tasted greasy and processed and even the duck a personal favourite remained unfinished.

Sadly not a great epxerience

• Visited January 2013
4 Thank Music E
Ampthill, United Kingdom
“Quality Chinese and Thai”
Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

I almost put 4 for value but 'all you can eat for under a tenner' this is not. Menu offers Chinese and Thai. Choice is large and you can mix and match. Food is superb. Lighting creates an intimate atmosphere in a modern large open dining area. Staff are professional.

3 Thank phlegmatic_brit
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Lovely Meal”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

We had a lovely chinese meal here last week, the food is amazing, very tasty, great choice on the menu, including thai meals. The staff were very friendly and service was very quick, lovely warm restaurant on a cold night. I was very suprised how good it was.

• Visited December 2012
3 Thank lorry72003
United Kingdom
“Amazing food! Great Atmosphere, but greasy menu's & plates.”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I've heard so much about The Elephant since it opened, mostly good reviews but just a handful of bad ones so at last i had a great opportunity on Sunday to dine out with family so we all decided to go to The Elephant,. There were 8 of us & though this was my wifes and mine first visit here, the other members of the family have all been here before and loved it.

On entering we were very well greeted and the fresh, clean & modern decor looked beautiful.
You would expect this type of decor in top London restaurants!

We all ordered totally different starters and main courses so we all had a little pick at everything, my main meal consisted of Singapore noodles and a chicken curry which were just amazing, especially the noodles, they were the best noodles i've had anywhere. The rest of the food was just quality with full flavour. I can't tell you enough what a wonderful meal we all had. ...So, a warm welcome on arrival, stunning atmosphere and simply just great food, i would say that their prices are just a fraction over priced, but then again, the food was good.

unfortunatley, a couple of things that really need to be looked at which in my books is a definate no no.

We were handed, the wine list, main menu as well as the desert menu respectfully, however, the main & desert menu were smothered in grease or oil, it felt dirty so i washed my hands (toilets spotless by the way)

The other not so good thing was a few of us were given dirty plates. The plates have a ridge to the outer side and even though they seemed to have been washed in a dishwasher, the inner part of the ridge had a thin layer of grease, this could be felt and seen under their lighting. I wiped around the plate with the napkin to clean it, the centre of the plate was fine though and didn't complain about either issues with the hope that a member of staff may read this and pay more attention on these 2 things.

I would definatley go back here, but for now it's a 4 out of 5.

• Visited November 2012