“Great thai food”

Ranked #17 of 442 Restaurants in Bedford
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Thai Lagoon is a family run business which aims to serve food cooked with love and care at a reasonable price and in a warm atmosphere. Here at Thai Lagoon, we take pride in the fact that all our dishes are cooked fresh and to the customer's tastes. Fresh Thai herbs, spices and vegetables are imported each week and expertly blended with the finest quality local ingredients to provide an authentic taste of Thailand. Please note: The kitchen closes 1 hour before the closing time
Reviewed October 25, 2013

A last minute booking with my girlfriend and mum, the food was excellent and carefully prepared. One of the nicest Thai restaurants I've been to, with good service on top. Yes the meals took a little time, but not excessive and reflected in the quality of the food. Better that than getting smashed out in 5 minutes and being second rate. Overall a great night out :)

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Visited on a Saturday, having booked in advance for 6 persons. Restaurant was full by 8pm. To start the food was good, but the service was disorganised and very slow. Off to a bad start, only 4 menus between 6, that was before it got full, no Bacardi and no rose wine by the glass. Most Starters came in about 15 minutes, but one did not appear for another 10 minutes. It was another 40 minutes before the mains appeared, yet again one was missing and did not appear for another 15 minutes. We were never offered desert or coffee. The owner did deduct the cost of the late main from the bill, blaming the waiter, but there was no excuse for the poor service, 4 waiters and the owner looking on all the time over just 8 tables, it was just disorganised. Would not go again.

3  Thank me101
Thai_Lagoon, Owner at Thai Lagoon, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

We are of course as disappointed as our customers when things don't go according to plan. We have a very good reputation both for good food and good service but once in a while as with any restaurant or service things just don't go according to plan. In the background, what you were unaware of was that we had, had an equipment failure at the beginning of the evening which caused mayhem in the kitchen and also affected the service at the front of house because everyone was under increased pressure. I did not feel it appropriate to explain in great detail on the evening but I did offer to explain specifically why the main course arrived late. I was thus invited to give an explanation, which I did. It was not an opportunity to wag a finger at the waitress concerned but there had been a minor error on the restaurant ticket and that was what I explained. It was so hectic in the kitchen that the incorrectly completed meal ticket resulted in the lateness of that dish. The meal was enjoyed (including the late dish), an apology was made and at no request from your table I took the decision to remove the cost of that dish from your bill. This was clearly appreciated by the gentleman concerned, which is why I was somewhat surprised that this review was written. Years ago if a proprietor made that kind of gesture that would have been sufficient. I feel that for this to be followed by a review of this kind is more than a little underhand and I am sure many readers will agree with that.

Let me now turn to the other comments because I feel they also need some clarification. You have suggested that there were only 8 tables. Yes there were. A table of 10, two tables of 6, one of 4, one of 3 and three of 2. That makes 35, which is one short of our full complement of 36 and we had second sittings too. So as you rightly say at the start of your review we were full, and by 8pm so in other words the whole restaurant turned up within an hour despite us having separated the arrival times. This sometimes happens, but we can't say to customers when they arrive "Sorry, you are early - go away and come back later!" That's just the way this business is sometimes and we have to deal with it as best as we can, which when all the equipment is functioning correctly is generally okay. Either way I feel that to suggest that we only had 8 tables is misleading in the extreme.

The lack of Bacardi was mentioned. Yes you are absolutely right, but here I really must point the finger at the waiter/waitress who served you. The bottle had just finished because we had served somebody else the last tot of Bacardi. What frustrated me when I read this was that there was a new bottle RIGHT NEXT to the empty one on the optic, which I changed as soon as I spotted it. Rose by the glass? No we don't and I am afraid that wont change. It's a simple case of supply and demand. We are a family run 36 seater restaurant, not a 150+ seater or a wine bar. I will not open a bottle of rose for one glass to have it sit there for two weeks because nobody else has ordered one. In the hot weather we sell more rose, but at this time of the year it can sit there for weeks. The drinks list shows the drinks by the glass but I am afraid this is not one of them.

Finally, the four waiters. There are in fact only three. The extra person is a very helpful chap who is actually kitchen staff but likes to spend the first part of the evening helping to run the bar and washing glasses. As far as me "looking on". Is that not my role as owner? I approached your table when I realised there was a problem and I shot out to the kitchen to resolve the issue which was quickly sorted out. That should indicate that the role is effective.

I guess I would have taken most of the comments on the chin, as I explained at the beginning things do not always go according to plan. I do feel however that this review has been shooting from the hip with some of the comments. Had the focus been purely on the late meals it would have been a fair review because there was indeed an issue, but the review has been sensationlised somewhat. Also to reitterate, the problem WAS resolved and a price reduction gratefully received. Such a shame that an offer like that should be followed by something I feel is less honourable.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

I visited Thai Lagoon for the first time this evening, The food was first rate and some of the most authentic tasting I have had outside of Thailand.

The Staff where very helpful and polite and nothing was to much trouble, I would and will recommend this place to anyone looking for a decent Thai restaurant.

I would visit again a no brainer for a great evening.

1  Thank Matthew N
Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Left the review a bit late but a good little Resturant really nice good and nice night out been here a couple of times and always been up to scratch :)

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Visited on a midweek evening , booked in advance , restaurant clean and bright only about 4 tables occupied . Waiting staff didn't,t seem to know what they were doing , took a long time before we were offered a drink or shown the menus .

The white wine was warm , starters were Not bad, main courses were bland and really not authentic as others describe . The chicken tasted as though it had been pre cooked and placed in the sauce when served . Some of the food wasn't very hot .

Sorry but I wouldn't choose to eat here again .