“Innovation”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Horse & Jockey

The Horse & Jockey
Ranked #13 of 411 Restaurants in Bedford
Cuisines: British, Pub, Bar, Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Innovation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

It's lovely to visit a favourite restaurant and find that they have a new dish on the menu, to try it and to find that it's as good as or better than expected.
My first grumble was that - although still on the memnu - they could not provide me with the Lobster Macaroni starter that is sheer delight. Slightly miffed, I ordered Parmigiana as a main course, and found that that was almost as wonderful. Aubergine and tomatoes in a creamy Bechamel sauce, accompanied by a suitably complementary bean and olive salad, was great, but what made it even more special was three slices of garlic toast, not mentioned on the menu, but exactly right to enhance the flavours of the main dish. A truly great combination, revealing the chef's care and attention to such detail.
The charming waitresses could not have been more efficient or more helpful.

• Visited July 2013

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Superb Sunday Lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

We visited the Horse and Jockey today for Sunday lunch.

The roast beef was superb, so good it melted in your mouth. The home cooked Yorkshire pud was the best I have ever tasted. The food was beautifully presented and the seasonal veg were cooked to perfection. I'd love the recipe for what I think was carrot purée. I can't make carrot taste like that.

The pub itself is lovely, very clean and nicely set out. The staff are fantastic, polite, approachable, friendly and efficient.

Our first visit but now we've found you it definitely won't be our last!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank lil_alice
bedford
“Little village gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

We were recommended this place by a friend and they were going to take us for dinner one Friday we decided we could not wait so went the Sunday before for lunch , yummy yummy it was brilliant and so so tasty we booked instantly for the following Sunday even though we were going on the Friday !! Friday came and I have the most Devine pâté , followed by beef Wellington oh my is was so tasty .
Lunch or dinner in this restaurant is always lovely not had a meal that you could fault in any my and my husband likes a good size meal he comes away each time very satisfied , we have recommended to every one we know if you want a good value tasty meal in bedfordshire look no further here is the place to go.
Darron and Sarah please don't change what you do as it is perfect and please don't retire too soon!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank thornts04
Reading, United Kingdom
“Brilliant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

I can't recommend this place enough. The food is fantastic, the atmosphere great, and a large selection of real ales at the bar.
Prices are reasonable too, if you go for the set menu.
The steak is among the best I've had, and the deserts are great too.
Try it.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank HG2000_12
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Wonderful flavour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

When I last reviewed this restaurant, I praised its welcome, its service and the appearance, quality and presentation of its food. As a result of my latest visit, I am delighted to be able to extend my praise to the flavour.
One starter in particular was so delicious that I savoured every mouthful and made it last as long as possible. Just wonderful! "Lobster Macaroni (lobster bisque. smoked cheese, cream and pieces of fresh lobster)" had the "Wow!" factor, and a surprisingly high proportion of fresh lobster. I can't wait to go back and have the same again.

• Visited May 2013