“Okay”

The Barns Hotel
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Bedford
“Okay”
Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

Service with a smile on arrival. Room was clean although I wish I hadn't pulled back the curtains and seen the very mouldy window frames!! Headed to the restaurant, seated with a smile, then left for over 15 mins before a menu was given to me or a drink ordered. Food was okay, but I think a little over priced. I had a conference room booked for the following day and was surprised how shoddy this was, and having paid for the room to use for interviews from 9.30 to 4pm, they would not provide a kettle, as they do in the rooms, with coffee and tea!!! I only needed 4 sachets of coffee and a couple of tea bags, after all I had paid a premium for the room!! Disappointed at the conference room sorry and won't return on this basis.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
GMBedford, General Manager at The Barns Hotel, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Dear Mr & Mrs H

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, however I was most disappointed on reading some of your negative comments.

Although we cannot provide kettles in our conference rooms, we do however provide flasks of tea and coffee on request

Caroline Trichet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Greek first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed two nights at the Barns, shame about the weather, but it has a lovely location on the banks of the Ouse and nice grounds too. There was a wedding party the evening we arrived, but we heard no noise from them when in the main building which was generally very quiet. Our room was nicely done out with plenty of storage space and a big comfy bed; the bathroom could have used a little TLC in places - though everything worked fine. Breakfast was OK but uninspiring, but we had a really very nice evening meal with an interesting menu, good food and good portions. All the staff were friendly, helpful and seemed well organised - they all knew we had an upgrade and complimentary meal without our having to remind anyone - so well done. A very pleasant stay, looks great for a sunny wedding location. We expect to return to the Barns.

Room Tip: Ask for one in the main building with a river view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
GMBedford, General Manager at The Barns Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Paul

I was delighted to read your comments about your recent stay with us and I am so pleased you felt compelled to write a review.
It is so nice to hear that you had a wonderful evening meal and stay here, I have passed on all your lovely feedback to my team.
I’m sure we will see you at The Barns Hotel again in the future,

Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We wanted somewhere at fairly short notice for afternoon tea for the family to celebrate our Ruby wedding anniversary. Although the hotel had two weddings booked for that day we were offered a private room and use of part of the grounds so that the children could go outside. Susan, the events manager, was most helpful in planning the menu and fitting around what we wanted.
On the day we were given staff dedicated to our needs but also had help from other staff with technical difficulties using the computer screen. Given how busy they were the service offered was excellent and we all enjoyed the afternoon, with plenty of food and drink.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Copleannie
GMBedford, General Manager at The Barns Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Copleannie,

I was absolutely delighted when reading your comments. Thank you for choosing to hold your Ruby Wedding anniversary with us. I am so pleased you felt compelled to write a review about your experience. It was so lovely to hear that everything went perfectly.
I have passed on all your lovely feedback to all the staff.
I look forward to seeing you at The Barns Hotel again soon.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

A beautiful hotel but let down by the bedroom which was no more than an average travel lodge room with an extremely hard based bed with a thin mattress. The nets were dirty with a dead spider caught in them. The bathroom was clean and functional. I have to say that my initial impression was not good. I had expected so much more given the 4 star rating and the pictures on The Barns website.

I felt the restaurant menu was over priced and offered little choice and therefore chose not to utilise this option instead opting for a slightly more reasonably priced bar meal which was very good. The cost of drinks at the bar was very expensive.

What made the weekend were the staff, especially Danielle and Simon who were extremely attentive, helpful and fun whilst remaining professional at all times. It was a pleasure to be served by these two staff who are a major asset to The Barns.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear DebiW9,

I would like to start by offering my sincere apologies in regards to the issues with the standard of room you received. Unfortunately on this occasion we fell short of the high standards we set ourselves. I hope that soon you will give us another chance so we can prove this is most definitely not our usual standard.

I was please to hear that you enjoyed our Cocktail bar menu and that our staff were a pleasure.
We are very proud of all our staff and I have passed on all your lovely feedback to my team.
I do hope to welcome you back to The Barns Hotel again in the future.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times now and have always been impressed by the service. Clean neat and tidy are normal standards but the staff are always good. Breakfast and dinner are excellent value and great quality.

Marta and Maria do an excellent job at breakfast and I would certainly recommend a stay.

• Stayed February 2013
GMBedford, General Manager at The Barns Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear mbonynge,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Barns Hotel, I am so pleased you felt compelled to write a review about your experience with us.
I have passed on all your lovely feedback to my team and I know we will see you at The Barns Hotel in the future.

Vila Franca de Xira, Lisboa, Portugal
Reviewed February 20, 2013

It was my first time at Barns Hotel, I really enjoy it, the scenario and landscape around is great with a lot of birds and nature. The room was quite nice, very spacy and confortable. The satff were very helpfull and friendly, and I liked a lot the breakfeast dynamic (you can order what you want from the menu) and Marta and Maria were really nice. It was a great experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Joana A

Thank you so much for leaving us such a lovely review. I am glad you enjoyed our breakfast and I have passed all your nice comments on to all of the staff.
I hope to see you at The Barns Hotel in the future.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We got a deal offer on this hotel.we had a one night stay with breakfast and evening meal included in our deal,a very warm welcoming small hotel.Lovely room.very clean with good views from our window,Restaurant was gorgeous although a little cool.food excellent.Would recommend this hotel 100%.

Room Tip: All areas of the hotel up to high standards.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Paul D

I have passed on all your lovely feedback to my team.
I hope to welcome you back to The Barns Hotel again in the future.

Caroline Trichet
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bedford
Bedford Swan Hotel
Wyboston Lakes Hotel
Wyboston Lakes Hotel
#1 of 2 in Wyboston
Pilgrims Progress JD Wetherspoon Hotel

Been to The Barns Hotel? Share your experiences!