“Family wedding weekend”
Review of The Barns Hotel

The Barns Hotel
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Bedford
Reviewed March 3, 2013

A beautiful hotel but let down by the bedroom which was no more than an average travel lodge room with an extremely hard based bed with a thin mattress. The nets were dirty with a dead spider caught in them. The bathroom was clean and functional. I have to say that my initial impression was not good. I had expected so much more given the 4 star rating and the pictures on The Barns website.

I felt the restaurant menu was over priced and offered little choice and therefore chose not to utilise this option instead opting for a slightly more reasonably priced bar meal which was very good. The cost of drinks at the bar was very expensive.

What made the weekend were the staff, especially Danielle and Simon who were extremely attentive, helpful and fun whilst remaining professional at all times. It was a pleasure to be served by these two staff who are a major asset to The Barns.

• Stayed: March 2013
GMBedford, General Manager at The Barns Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Dear DebiW9,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, however I was most disappointed on reading some of your negative comments.
I would like to start by offering my sincere apologies in regards to the issues with the standard of room you received. Unfortunately on this occasion we fell short of the high standards we set ourselves. I hope that soon you will give us another chance so we can prove this is most definitely not our usual standard.

I was please to hear that you enjoyed our Cocktail bar menu and that our staff were a pleasure.
We are very proud of all our staff and I have passed on all your lovely feedback to my team.
I do hope to welcome you back to The Barns Hotel again in the future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed February 27, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times now and have always been impressed by the service. Clean neat and tidy are normal standards but the staff are always good. Breakfast and dinner are excellent value and great quality.

Marta and Maria do an excellent job at breakfast and I would certainly recommend a stay.

• Stayed: February 2013
GMBedford, General Manager at The Barns Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Dear mbonynge,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Barns Hotel, I am so pleased you felt compelled to write a review about your experience with us.
I have passed on all your lovely feedback to my team and I know we will see you at The Barns Hotel in the future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed February 20, 2013

It was my first time at Barns Hotel, I really enjoy it, the scenario and landscape around is great with a lot of birds and nature. The room was quite nice, very spacy and confortable. The satff were very helpfull and friendly, and I liked a lot the breakfeast dynamic (you can order what you want from the menu) and Marta and Maria were really nice. It was a great experience.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear Joana A

Thank you so much for leaving us such a lovely review. I am glad you enjoyed our breakfast and I have passed all your nice comments on to all of the staff.
I hope to see you at The Barns Hotel in the future.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

We got a deal offer on this hotel.we had a one night stay with breakfast and evening meal included in our deal,a very warm welcoming small hotel.Lovely room.very clean with good views from our window,Restaurant was gorgeous although a little cool.food excellent.Would recommend this hotel 100%.

Room Tip: All areas of the hotel up to high standards.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Paul D

I have passed on all your lovely feedback to my team.
I hope to welcome you back to The Barns Hotel again in the future.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

We live a little over an hour away and we came to this hotel via a great online deal. The hotel was very cute and very quiet. The breakfast was pretty darn good, but choosing the buffet doesn't give you many choices. The deal we received came with a full english breakfast and that was very good. A little bit out of Bedford, but it is an easy short drive into the nice little town. The parks around are amazing, especially for dogs (but the hotel does not allow them).

Room Tip: Would have rather been river side. Maybe ask for one of those!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear cmk0820

Thank you so much for leaving us such a lovely review. I am glad you enjoyed our breakfast and i have passed all your comments on to our Kitchen team. I am also glad that you took the opportunity to explore the area.
I am sorry that you thought that we do not allow dogs; we have 2 dog friendly rooms with easy access to the outside.
I hope to see you again soon and that next time your dog will get to explore the parks too

Reviewed February 19, 2013

I get booked into The Barns Hotel once a month when I visit the office so I have stayed there several times. Some visits I have enjoyed. Some visits I have thought "I'm not staying there again." The hotel polarises me each time. Very much a love/hate relationship.

The restaurant is terrible for dinner. If you want to enjoy your stay, don't eat there. The food is edible, and sometimes OK, but it is far too expensive for the quality and quantity you get. You WILL be disappointed even on a good day. Breakfast is good. The conference buffets are very good.

The quality of your stay very much depends on which staff you deal with. There are a handful of miserable staff who can easily ruin your day. Then there are staff who are always a delight and go above and beyond to ensure your comfort. In the restaurant Maeta, Maria, and Jo are gems. They always greet you with a smile and make sure you are taken care of.

There are two bars - but usually there is only one open at a time. The drinks are expensive (£2.50 for a coke), warm, and stale. However, when Simon is working it doesn't matter. His prompt courteous service makes up for any shortfalls elsewhere. He is the best employee at the hotel, by far.

The rooms are clean and comfortable. Get a room upstairs because the jerk who takes the bins out will wake the dead in the middle of the night. Also, if there is a private function running late in the conference rooms they will keep you awake.

The WiFi is terribly slow and down all the time - but it is free. Mobile phone coverage is spotty. The TV is basic Freeview - which is more than most hotels.

My stay this time was a good one. Flip a coin and you will see how yours will be.

Room Tip: Get a room upstairs.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear iJames,

I am sorry that you have been woken up before by the bins, but please rest assured that your comments will be used for retraining purposes.

We strive to make all of your stays good stays, I am sorry that occasionally you feel that we have fallen below the high standard that we set our selves.

However I was absolutely delighted to read your lovely feedback about Simon.

I hope that you will give us another chance so we can make all your stays as good as your last visit.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Friendly staff, good value deal with Bed and Breakfast, chocolates and prosecco for £99 a night.

Handy to stay if heading to Woburn Safari Park and a large tesco just down the road.
.......................................………

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear Sim29

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. It was nice to hear that you took advantage of one of our special offers.
We hope to see you again in the future.

Caroline Trichet

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bedford
Bedford Swan Hotel
Embankment Hotel
Embankment Hotel
#15 of 18 in Bedford
Park Inn by Radisson Bedford

Been to The Barns Hotel? Share your experiences!