“Disappointing Venue”
Review of The Barns Hotel

The Barns Hotel
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Bedford
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Attended a wedding reception over Christmas, was very surprised at the facility. Room, Bar were both inadequate for number of people they were accommodating. Felt as though we were always socialising in the hallway, limited seating in the room and the bar area the other side of the hallway was tiny with only a couple of small tables. Can't comment on the wedding breakfast as we only attended the evening reception. Apparently the hotel booked disco didn't turn up so they had to get a replacement (which they did, well done), but very disappointing for the B&G. The evening buffet can only be described as pityful!! comments heard were, "is that it?" again very disappointing for the B&G, as looking at the wedding brochure for this establishment after, they were well and truly short changed.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank HongKongPhooey28
GMBedford, General Manager at The Barns Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

Dear HongKongPhooey28

Thank you very much for leaving us a review, however I was most disappointed to read some of your negative comments.
Unfortunately on this occasion both us and our suppliers fell short of our own high standards. We would like to assure you that this is not our normal level of service
However, we are in direct correspondence with the Bride and groom regarding some of the issues you have raised.

I hope this experience does not put you off returning to us in the future.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

Thought it would good to report on an excellent Christmas dinner which I recently attended at the Barns Hotel in Bedford. I regularly visit The Barns for business meetings and the welcome is always professional and friendly and the meeting facilities first rate.
A group of like minded business people, including myself, then decided to go to The Barns for a Christmas dinner which was of an excellent quality, great value (I was really expecting to spend more...so delighted that I didn't have to) and we were also treated to some live Jazz Sax playing as well.
I should probably also mention that my son's recent wedding reception was held in The Barn itself and we couldn't have been looked after better with all guests saying that this was one of the best weddings that they had ever been to.
Keep up the great work and I'm sure I'll be back again soon.

Room Tip: All rooms are good...just let them know if you have any preferences in advance.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Dear Steve A

Thank you for choosing to hold your Christmas party with us at The Barns Hotel, I am so pleased you felt compelled to write a review about your experience with us. It so nice to hear that you had a good time at your son’s wedding too.
I have passed on all your lovely feedback to my team and I’m sure we will see you at The Barns Hotel in the future,

Reviewed December 19, 2012

excellent location for a recent wedding, rooms comfortable and well equipped. sadly it was let down by poor food at wedding meal,reception and breakfast. the meals were cold,had a mouldy fruit in one desert and had ants crawling across table at breakfast. this was a shame as was a lovely wedding otherwise.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank mick b
GMBedford, General Manager at The Barns Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 25, 2012

Dear Mick B

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us a review, however I was most disappointed to read some of your negative comments.
I would like to start by offering my sincere apologies in regards to the issues with the quality of meals you received. Unfortunately on this occasion we have fallen short of the high standards we set ourselves. I hope that soon you will give us another chance so we can prove this is most definitely not our usual standard.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

Beware which building your wedding is held in! Probably better in the tithe barn (although this is speculation), rather than the main building. My son had his ceremony for 50 guests in the main building on 24th November, and one thing that was rather disconcerting is that wedding guests had little choice but to spill out into the Reception area, where other hotel guests were checking in. No privacy screens were provided to keep the wedding party as a private function. The bar was far too small to accommodate guests before and after the service. The food provided was of lesser quality than my son had been supplied at the food tasting before the wedding. Guests were served overcooked beef comprising mainly of grissle and the expected roast vegetables (parsnips etc) were presented as boiled. Even the winter vegetable soup was different, and had long strings of ? celery in it. The evening buffet left sandwiches dried out on their upper edges and stale crisps at 9pm, despite having been set up approximately 2 hours earlier. Overall, the catering for this special occasion proved disappointing for my son, and is an insult to the amount (circa £6000) he had to pay. Furthermore, there had been several changes of Wedding Co-ordinator since their original booking, which left little organisation over many months. They even experienced a change of Wedding Co-ordinator on the day of their wedding - this does not give the bride and groom sufficient support or confidence in the way the hotel conducts its wedding business.
Regarding general accommodation, some of the wicker seats in the restaurant are unsteady/felt unsafe and need to be changed. As for bedroom accommodation, our superior room was of a reasonable size, but felt cold on arrival. The windows were draughty and the bed was too hard for our liking. The en-suite bathroom was generally clean and there was sufficient hot water. However, the painted toilet seat showed signs of age - chipped paint etc, and the toilet pan was covered in limescale below the water line - rather unacceptable. The toilet did not flush particularly well, either. Perhaps this needs a revamp. Beware also of requesting a room upgrade. My daughter originally had a standard double room, but decided to change to a superior room. On check out, she was expected to pay for items ( 2 bottles of water and 2 small biscuits) in the room (£15.00), which she hadn't requested. We had to be quite insistent that why should she pay considerably extra for those items when she had not asked for them. She finally paid £5.00 more than we had for our identical room. Also, she had requested a room away from ours, but was located in the room next to ours. Regarding potential photograph opportunities, the grounds of the Barns look lovely during the summer months, but sadly lack colour, like many other gardens, during the winter months. This may be offputting for prospective winter brides. Due to inclemental weather, a small section at the far end of the restaurant was made available for photographs. This was quite homely, with a fireplace setting behind, but was a bit on the small side when taking large family group photos.

As for disabled guests, the Barns does have some accessible rooms, but I cannot comment on these. However, as a part-time wheelchair user, I am able to point out that there are many areas of the hotel that exclude access to persons with mobility difficulties, due to the lack of ramps, and narrow steps. They do, however, provide accessible toilet facilities on the ground floor.

Now for the more positive aspects of the Barns. I greatly appreciate that the staff kindly accommodated my request for an early check-in, and we were also given permission to decorate the Bridal Suite with a member of staff present. Thank you. Self-service breakfast in the restaurant was included in our room rate, and offered reasonable choice (fresh fruit, croissants, pastries, cereal and cooked breakfast items). I truly wish I could give more positive comments, but in reality I don't believe this hotel to be of a 4-star standard, particularly as a wedding venue. Overall, I would suggest it being worthy of no more than 3-stars. Due to the disappointing experiences, we would not book another wedding there.

Room Tip: The car park is sited at the front of the hotel, so best steer clear of those where possible, if you...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Karen3108
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We spent 2 nights during a wedding weekend, and had a very pleasant stay.
Staff had been very attentive and helpful, accommodating every single need. The room and facilities were very comfortable. Breakfast was superb!
The food at the Wine Restaurant was very good too, ideal for a romantic meal looking over the river.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I've been staying at the Barns on business for 1 week per month for something like the last 4-5 years.
Location: Depends on what yo're looking for. It's about 3 miles from the centre of Bedford, so a taxi/car journey if you're heading there. Not really walking distance to anywhere other than Priory Park or the Oasis pool. The hotel is next to Priory Park, which is lovely, but separated from it by the river so there's no direct access from the hotel to the park, which is a shame. Hotel's riverside location is very nice in summer.

Rooms: All good, maintained to a good standard and clean. All I want it in a hotel is bed, bathroom and free wifi. You get that at the Barns. Wifi connection is free and unlimited, by 24 hour voucher. Good signal throughtout most of the hotel although it can be a bit weak (though still usable) in some rooms. Cellphone signal can be a bit iffy in some rooms though - but that might be combination of my phone and provider.

Restaurant: Not used it that much except for breakfast. Food is good with a good selection at reasonable prices, and service fine.

Staff: Excellent. No other word for it. Very friendly and helpful.

Value: Reasonable price for the standard of hotel.

Overall: This is a great hotel, in a nice location with very good people there. It's why I keep staying there.

Room Tip: They're all good
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Dave S
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We attended a Wedding at the Tithe Barn and it was a wonderful venue for a wedding, even in November - just a perfect ambiance.

As for the hotel; it was a lovely place to stay with good staff. The room was good; clean, we'll presented and fairly modern. The only issue was the wi-if was intermittent, I thought it was probably because room 50 was the furthest away - it wasn't a major issue so I didn't bother reporting it, plus the room was fantastically quiet.

The breakfast was good, with decent ingredients and the staff very attentive.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bedford
Bedford Swan Hotel
#13 of 18 in Bedford
Embankment Hotel
Embankment Hotel
#12 of 18 in Bedford

Been to The Barns Hotel? Share your experiences!