“Started off on the wrong foot”
Review of Bedford Swan Hotel

Bedford Swan Hotel
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Bedford
“Started off on the wrong foot”
Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

We arrived at the hotel for a 1pm wedding. During the week we rang the hotel to advise them we will be doing a 400 mile round trip to get to the hotel and would like to be able to get into our rooms for 11am. We were advised normal check in is 2pm but under the circumstance they would make sure our rooms are ready for 11am so we can freshen up and get changed before the wedding. We then rang a day prior and was advised again that everything has been arranged for us to check in at 11am. Great.
When we arrived at 11am, we noticed you have to pay for parking on the hotel premises. Like other reviewers on here I also think its abit cheeky to be charged for parking. It's not unusual to have to pay for parking but that is usual if the hotel has no parking so you have to park in a private car park. But this is not the case here.
We arrived into the hotel. Felt very warm and welcoming. The air soon turned blue as we discovered by the lady at reception that even though we had arranged to check in for 11am this was merely a request and was not something they could guarantee and that our check would be 2pm but they would see what they can do. To say we felt misled would be an understatement. We had large suit cases and suits on hangers which at this point felt like a tonn of lead. We begrudently made our way to one of the other guests room who had booked in the night before.
Around 11.45 we received a call to say our rooms are now available (45mins late). Relieved.
We rushed to our rooms and got ready. The rooms are decorated tastefully and fully equipped with all the necessities one would required in a hotel. Spacious room. Well equipped hot drinks station. Large tv. Very comfy bed and a large wardrobe. The bathroom was equally nice. The hotel surpassed themselves after the initial mess up.
The wedding was memorable and the staff were terrific, in the back ground yet very attentive.
To summarise this is a beautiful grand old hotel with all the mod cons one would require. The hotel rooms are well priced for the comfort and service which they provide. The breakfast is by far the best I have experienced in a hotel. Huge selection of continental and warm food. The staff are happy to cook fresh breakfast on request. Simply can't do enough for you.
As you can see from the title of my review it all started on the wrong foot but we got there in the end and I would like to thank the staff for turning it around and making the day a memorable one.
I would have given the hotel 100% positive review but the showers are not great. Very little water I'm afraid. Other than that everything spot on. Would definitely return and certainly recommend to others.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lovefood1211
Swan113, General Manager at Bedford Swan Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Our standard check out time is 12pm, therfore we are unable to guarantee check in times earlier than this. I am delighted that the team were able to allocate you a room before the 2pm check in time, and, that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
  • Korean first
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Checked in after a horrendous drive and was greeted a very friendly French lady who couldn't have done more. Room was excellent, if a little on small side, a bit miffed at having to pay £5 to park my car! Didn't use any of the ammenities as I was eating out, so can't comment.
Shower was dreadful, low pressure.
Checkout the following morning couldn't have been more opposite to the check in!
I waited whilst a lady on reception greeted and spoke to someone she obviously knew, after which she just went back to looking through some paperwork, her collegue was on the phone. After a few minutes she mumbled was I checking out, no "good morning" or anything else. She never once looked at me or asked if I had had a good stay, enter pin number was as good as it got. No thanks or goodbye. Very poor.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank eddie8105
Swan113, General Manager at Bedford Swan Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I'm sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your stay. I will communicate your feedback to the relevant departments for review. I hope that you may consider the Bedford Swan Hotel again.
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 24, 2013

My partner and I were looking for a hotel specifically for jacuzzi/spa and came across The Bedford Swan. Along with the lovely interior and historical features, this made it great value. We had a spacious and comfortable river view room (bed was lovely). There is also a fab pool/jacuzzi which was great for our romantic stay. We would definately stay here again and I will recommend this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maddy V
Swan113, General Manager at Bedford Swan Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your review with trip advisor. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us, and we will look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Bedford swan hotel has amazing view and best location one can think about. The service provided by staff is awesome. There are lots of pubs nearby and city center is at doorstep. Bedford is an very beautiful small English town.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BhupeKhandelwal
Swan113, General Manager at Bedford Swan Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your 5 star review with Trip Advisor. We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us, and we hope to see you again soon.
Wilmslow, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Myself and my wife's family decided to try this restaurant having had a bad experience a couple of years ago and unfortunately nothing has changed. 6 of us booked in for my wife's birthday dinner last Monday evening. We had a drink and perused the menus which were crumpled and had spelling mistakes ( not a great first introduction). We eat out a lot and I must say I thought the prices seemed a bit high for the restaurant, even though I was not paying. Rump steak around £25. In fact just looked at the online steak menu to confirm the prices and the ones they have are considerably lower than the actual ones in the restaurant. On the website it states £19.95 but it is actually £30 for an 8 oz fillet. I have asked the restaurant manager to look into it before trade descriptions get onto it. The manager didn't know, which reflects the general feeling of incompetence that I felt from our night. Anyway, having looked at the menu we chose and took our seats. We asked what bread was available expecting something along the lines of a choice of home baked granary, White etc but instead, were looked at as though we were speaking Klingon. They then brought us some bread, well brown and White slices with butter. We gave up on the request for olive oil. 5 starters were served and we waited for the 6th as the soup went cold, eventually the manager asked us if all was well and the 6th starter arrived some time later. I had the Rosary goats cheese brûlée (not sure if it should have been rosemary!) and it was disgusting, bland, straight out of the fridge with 2 small chips of celery and carrot. It had biscuit on top and a hunk of rocket that was not dressed and straight out of the packet....oh well for a steak at their high prices, it must be worth it.....Other starters included luke warm scallops and black pudding, salmon that was so wafer thin, that when lifted, you could see through it. And for the soup of the day....wait for it, pea and ham hock with rustic bread? Lobster bisque with French baguette?....... Nope....Tomato....with two small slices of plain brown bread. Enter the mains, steaks that the waitress didn't know which was rare, medium rare etc. Rock hard ham egg and chips, sloppy risotto and two lots of pasta with a piece of fish on top and salsa verde. The pasta was cut into small strips and the entire dish was swimming in olive oil, just olive oil...no sign of the green 'verde'.... I had had enough and had a discreet word with the manager. I informed him of the oil with a bit of pasta to which he said it was salsa verde. I informed him there is a difference between salsa verde and olive oil and could he just have a look when they clear the dishes. He did and informed me 20% would be taken off the bill. I informed him I wasn't paying and thanked him but asked for the table not to be told as we didn't want to raise it with the very kind host. He said of course and I returned to the table. Onto the steaks. Why oh why does a traditional hotel like the swan serve a £30 steak on a bread board? I had my steak rare and the blood was running off the board. Sauces were served with the other steaks....good luck..... Veg consisted of a small bowl with dry peas and a slither of courgette. You can't put them on the plate because it's a board and they would run off with the blood, so get yourself a spoon.
We finished and our host asked for the bill, surely no more room for incompetence....the young girl came with the bill and announced to the whole table that she had taken the 20% off the bill...unbelievable.
For anybody thinking about staying and eating at The Swan I would say the hotel is lovely, friendly staff and nice surroundings but as for dinner, walk out of the front door and don't look back.
Ps if you go there soon print off the prices from the on line menu, order the steak, pay £19.50 instead of £30 and you will still feel hard done bye....

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Rob70_13
Swan113, General Manager at Bedford Swan Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Many thanks for posting your review of your recent visit on Tripadvisor. I am very concerned to read your feedback and send my sincere apologies that we did not meet expectation. I am however somewhat disappointed we have not had the opportunity to discuss this directly. Could you please contact me at your earliest convenience on either 01234 346565 or by email dominic.mills@bedfordswanhotel.co.uk

Travelers are raving about these Bedford hotels

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Took my girlfriend to the swan hotel for the first weekend after being away for four months, booked up the luxury suit and was absolutely blown away by the room and the hotel! There was a complimentary bottle of wine waiting in a ice bucket waiting for us! The staff were unbelievably nice and even let us have breakfast when we turned up for it nearly thirty mins late! would highly recommend these rooms and the hotel!

• Stayed January 2013
Swan113, General Manager at Bedford Swan Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you for your lovely five star review following your recent stay with us. We are so pleased to hear your stay was so enjoyable and look forward to seeing you again in future.
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Me and my wife visited the hotel over Christmas 2012 and felt the hotel had a very nice atmosphere and it occupies a nice position overlooking the river. We found the food also to be nice with good service and helpful staff. The room we stayed in was well furnished and we would visit again. The pool also looked very nice, although we didn't use it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank russelldug
Many thanks for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay. We are delighted you enjoyed your visit and hope to welcome you back to the Hotel in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bedford
The Barns Hotel
Pilgrims Progress JD Wetherspoon Hotel
Woodland Manor Hotel
Woodland Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Clapham

Been to Bedford Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!