“Great evening”

Cuisines: Seafood, British, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I ate here Saturday night with friends and had a lovely time. The staff were attentive and friendly. I ate the camembert to share and the lamb burger both were lovely. I will definitely be returning.

Alan S, General Manager at The Park Pub and Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Hi there.....We are really glad you had an enjoyable evening with us last Saturday and hope to see you again very soon.

Alan

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Have visited the park on many occasions and have always had an enjoyable experience! The food is very good and the staff are very friendly too! Keep up the excellent work!

Hi ....Many thanks for your kind review. I will pass it on to those who look after you so well .

Alan

Reviewed February 16, 2014

On arrival we were shown to a round table, which was obviously placed to maximise seating numbers rather than consideration of customer comfort. The seating arrangement was such that one of us would have been sitting very close and almost at right angles to the diner on the next table. I asked if it was possible to have another table which after being told 'if it's not reserved' we were given, and left with our menus. The new table left me sitting with my back to the main throughway to the kitchen which was in constant use and which children ran up and down for the last quarter of the meal. (No reflection on the restaurant, but why,oh why do parents think this is in anyway acceptable?) It also meant my chair backed onto a ledge, which was a safe-ish distance away but still disconcerting. Removal of the crammed in table would make the area both more asthetically pleasing and a lot more comfortable, with the loss of only two covers. We then waited about 15 minutes before anyone came to take our drinks order. This continued to be a trend throughout the meal, where catching the waiting staffs' attention was difficult. I particularly wanted the crab soufflé which I had seen on the menu on the Internet site and asked if they had a specials board as I couldn't see it on the menu. I was politely informed that The Park had never done crab soufflé and it was suggested that perhaps I had read another restaurant's menu. If The Park has never done crab soufflé I wonder why it was still on The Park website under the Sunday lunch tab when I checked later, thinking I was going mad?? I never did find out if there is a specials board.... The bread and olives we had whilst waiting for the starters were excellent,I chose salmon mousse for starter. As the promised toast did not arrive I said 'I think this comes with toast?' and was answered with 'Does it?' 'Um, I think that's what the menu said.' ' I'll just go and check.' A few minutes later...'yes, it does.' All fine so far, a person can't be expected to know everything. After at least another five minues a measley corner of toasted bread was delivered which was so small it actually did make me laugh out loud. The mousse and the glaze on the salad were really delicious though. Sadly my dining companion's terrine was really cold which is possibly why it seemed so flavourless. My main of a burger was again excellent, with the pork roast being very pedestrian. The wine throughout the meal was lovely but it took ages between ordering it and its arrival, and when my fellow diner asked if we could order more drinks his order was taken but not mine, even though my glass was empty. The service wasn't terrible but would have been improved greatly by basic eye contact and a smile. I took the unusual step (for me) of not leaving a tip, as I didn't think it was warranted. There seemed to be a lot of staff who didn't have specific roles, for example one person would take the drinks order and then you would see them doing something else, and wonder if they'd forgotten, 10 minutes later someone else would bring the drink. We had four different people wait on us, so the one warm and friendly waiter we did have wouldn't necessarily have got the tip he probably deserved. I am very disappointed as The Park is my local restaurant and I would love to take friends and family there but don't think I could. Each point on its own is really minor, which is why we didn't say anything at the time, but added together, along with finding the much desired crab soufflé has obviously been served at some time, and I'm not a fool who doesn't know what menu she is reading, has led me to writing this review.

Good Morning......Not the best of visits which unfortunately started off badly with the poor information that i gave you regarding the crab souffle ....My mistake which i apologise for....The Sunday menu is a bespoke menu which is different to any other day of the week and certainly never the same two weeks in a row.After some investigating it turns out that dish was on a Sunday menu from quite some time ago, we need to clearly mark on the webpage that this is a sample menu,Sorry.The lack of eye contact and smiling is again not very good and very unlike your waiter on the day, the team do all try to help each other but consistency of service is required.
If you would like to speak to me in more depth please call Alan on 01234 273929 as i would like to restore your faith in us and say sorry in person.

Alan Smith

Reviewed February 15, 2014

We arrived 15 mins early for our reservation the table we were given was free, but the lady said they were relaying it, so wait in bar, we had a drink but 25 mins later we were still waiting.

We went back to the young lady in charge and she said I'm not saying anything I did pass a message to collect you....why not collect us yourself??

We got sat down the table was wonky but to be fair the floor is tiled, we weren't offered a drink and no one took our order, lots of the staff walked past but no eye contact was made, 15 mins later I asked a young man to take our order, he didn't write it down and my husband followed him to the till as we weren't sure he had got it correctly.

Our starter arrived really delicious and nice presentation, I had to ask for our wine, main courses again were really good. We had virtually finished when we got courtesy checked (but I do believe you have to let someone know if you are not happy)

There was a large birthday party behind us and for some reason 2 male staff started changing the lighting from overhead to side, leaving the table of 3 men next to us in virtual darkness!

So overall ...lovely food terrible service, I agree you almost feel you have gate crashed a private party, sort of outsiders looking in.

Plenty of staff no organisation and I did see what I think was the manager dashing around, think your need to sit back and observe instead of trying to do it all yourself.

We had to go and ask for the bill and all most of the staff were stood behind the bar having

Alan S, General Manager at The Park Pub and Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Good Afternoon .....Thanks for taking the time to review The Park as all reviews help us to evaluate our business as a whole......Positives first we are really pleased you enjoyed the food, chef will be delighted with his feedback....From the review 'on a tiled area ', that means you were in the raised section of the restaurant, could you let me know by email to info@theparkbedford.co.uk when you were in so that i can discuss your poor service on the night with your waitress/waiter....On a personal level let me apologise to you for the poor service you received on the night.....I hope it doesn't put you off coming back to see us again soon so we can show you in the main we are attentive to all parties regardless of size...Regards Alan

Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

I suggested to a friend about trying somewhere new, so we decided to try here. What a disappointment it was.
We both have children and as soon as we walked in it was a cold welcoming. But never the less we carried on.
We had to ask the bar man what the procedure was as it was our first time. We never even got a hello or can I help you?
He advised us and the waitress came over with a snotty look on her face. ( if we didn't have our boys with us I think we would of had a smile).
Anyway we asked to see a child's menu but all the reply was.. They can have anything off the menu at half the price. (Says it all really)
We ordered the food came. No fault with the food apart from my friends sons pasta looked like he had been given worms instead.
When we asked for the bill it was thrown at my friend. Unfortunately no tip was given.
The toilets also smelt rotten too. Hmmm not good.
Oh and all staff were mainly on their mobile phones??
I can say we won't be returning!!

Alan S, General Manager at The Park Pub and Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Hi There.....
Sorry we didn't welcome you and the family in the normal cheery manner i would expect from our staff ....Could you give me a ring on 01234 273929 to have a chat about your visit in more depth as i would like to know who served you on the day so we can rectify this....Many Thanks Alan