“Overrated & non appealing menu”

The Plough at Bolnhurst
Ranked #3 of 420 Restaurants in Bedford
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Market Harborough, United Kingdom
“Overrated & non appealing menu”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My father in law took us to The Plough for a family birthday lunch today and after reading the previous reviews on here we were disappointed. The menu choice just wasn't appealing and as its a Sunday most of our group went for roast beef as it seemed the safest bet. Two of us chose lamb & as the meals were being delivered it was announced that there had been an accident with the lamb so we could no longer have it would we like the chicken or beef instead? So I too ended up with the un imaginative beef.
Luckily we were not waiting too long for it to arrive as everyone else had started. Vegetables are ordered separately which isn't clear on the menu. My FIL had ordered calves liver that he presumed came with mash, but no his meal arrived without anything and he had to ask for it separately which took awhile to come. Wouldn't it be better for the staff taking the order to point out this is the case so the customer is aware? "Would you like any extra vegetables or potatoes with your meal ? "

The food was ok - nothing special
The menu complicated and un appealing
Would I return - no
Would I recommend - no - unless you are local if passing but we travelled an hour for the privilege

3 Thank Sophie S

Bedford, United Kingdom
“Justifiably popular”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I have written 43 other reviews since I reviewed this attractive pub/restaurant some months ago, and feel that I was a little unfair in my ratings then. It is certainly one of the top five restaurants in the Bedford area and in the top two if one excludes the many Asian restaurants. There is good choice on the menu and lots more on the daily 'specials' board. There is always something new that I want to try. Fresh, warm bread and olive oil comes quickly to provide a nibble while waiting to order. The owners and all the staff are always friendly, cheerful and helpful, even when clearly under great pressure. You may have to wait a bit at busy times at the weekend, but that's inevitable at such a popular venue. Be patient and you will be rewarded. It is well worth the short drive up the Kimbolton Road.
I chose this for a special birthday celebration with my whole family and we were given VIP treatment

• Visited December 2012
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Always brilliant”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Just joined trip advisor so felt compelled to write review of the Plough at Bolnhurst. I have been there maybe ten times over the last few years, and it has never failed in any way. The welcome is always warm, the setting beautiful, the atmosphere ambient and the food and wine absolutely delicious. We have been for dinner as a couple, with friends, and with our teenaged children and everyone always loves it. The lovely waiting staff are so helpful and kind and can cater for any weird food issue you might have (and I have had them!). It's great even for crisps and a pint on a Sunday after a long walk, in front of the fire.

I have worked for a restaurant guide in the past, and so have eaten at many good London restaurants, but the Plough is my absolutely favourite place for any reason.

Northamptonshire
“Nice pub with good food”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

A lovely pub with atmosphere. Food good and prices fair. We took a baby with us and he was made welcome.

1 Thank Susannah55
Market Harborough
“Over priced pretentious food”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Good food over priced, its a nice place , nothing special, but you are paying London prices and top table prices for almost fine dining....its just a small step up from a harvestor

• Visited June 2012