“The Plough, Bolnhurst”

The Plough at Bolnhurst
Ranked #2 of 415 Restaurants in Bedford
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bedford, United Kingdom
“The Plough, Bolnhurst”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Interesting varied menu. So popular that booking is essential and it is therefore usually crowded. In summer, tables in the garden allow more space, but it can be very noisy in winter, The overworked staff are very friendly, but service can be slow at times. It is mre suitable for couples and parties of adults, but children are well looked after and provided with colouring books and crayons. Certainly one of my top five local restaurants. When there was a mix-up over a booking (my fault), every effort was made to fit us in on a very crowded night (we had a long wait, but were not turned away).

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank TimSharrock

Bedford
“Everything excellent”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Lovely pub, nice friendly relaxed atmosphere. Excellent menu offering real choice - locally sourced. An excellent choice when you what that something extra - worth paying for.

Visited March 2012
1 Thank Shaugho
Catworth Huntingdon
“Malcolm + Anne. Wedding Anniversary supper.”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Although only 10 miles from home our first meal at the Plough and what a lovely experience.
Beautiful surroundings, great service and delicious carefully presented food. An excellent venue for a special meal. We certainly recommend the Plough and 'look forward to eating there again.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Malcolm A
UK
“Wonderful”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

The Plough has a good range of bitters, wines and soft drinks and there are while-you-choose nibbles as well as starters. The menu changes fairly frequently making it possible to visit regularly and still being able to have something different. Lunchtime there are a number of specials on the board and there is usually an evening special of game or interesting cuts of steak. The team are very friendly; every time I go here it's the same quality and excellent service, it's like coming home.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Julie W
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Great food, not so great customer skills”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We ate here (a large family group) for my husband's birthday lunch and it was our first visit. The overall opinion was that we all enjoyed the food (although my own was very salty, both starter and main). Our waitress was attentive and even brought the children some dominos to keep them amused.

The visit was overshadowed, however, by an incident that happened as we arrived. I and my 3 year old son asked the waitress where the toilets were and were told to go through a door marked 'private' which was closer to our table than the customer toilets. We came out and I looked round for my son only to hear him scream as he had literally been cornered by two large dogs in the corridor. I had to put myself between the dogs and my son in order to pick him up and we were both fairly upset by the experience as neither of us like dogs and my son is also allergic to them.

The waitress' first reaction was to say that it was only a puppy, that it wouldn't bite but I said no, there were two large dogs. The owner came along and started to berate me for going through a private door, saying that she was perfectly entitled to have dogs in there. I pointed out that I would NEVER go through a private door uninvited and as she realised that it was the waitress' fault she made some sort of apology but remained very ungracious, insinuating that it was my fault.

We also put up with knocking and banging sounds all through the meal and it was only when I asked the waitress that she explained they were doing renovations on the floor above us. It would have been better to warn us of this in advance or as we arrived, but we received no apology for the extra noise.

When I phoned up to book in advance I informed the restaurant that one of our guests was in a wheelchair yet they put us in a small low-ceilinged room which was not ideal for manoeuvring a wheelchair. I don't understand why we weren't put in the modern, spacious conservatory part given the size of our party but I didn't know the layout of the place before we arrived.

Would I return? Probably not as it's not a convenient location from where I live but also I have received much better customer service elsewhere.

• Visited October 2012